Polo Shirt Mafia

JBGB

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack Masion's was a great bar in South End next to Aveda. They ended up leaveing and Aveda expanded. I heard that they were going to move Uptown near the French Quarter but I haven't seen or heard anything about them re-opening. South End needs another good food/bar in this area.

Jack Masion's was a great bar in South End next to Aveda. They ended up leaveing and Aveda expanded. I heard that they were going to move Uptown near the French Quarter but I haven't seen or heard anything about them re-opening. South End needs another good food/bar in this area.

I haven't been there yet. Commoner said "The new Tavern that replaced the Pancake House went PSM out of the gate." That is the place your talking about right? Have you been there?

Yeah 1300 Southend Tavern is in the former building that the Original House of Pancakes was in on South Blvd near the Pink building. ^^^^

To clear up any confusion about the other discussions.

Phat Burrito on Camden is not closing. Phat Burrito used to have a restaurant in Plaza Midwood which was short lived, and later replaced by Cafe DaDa, and is now home to Dish.

Common Market on Commonwealth in Plaza Midwood is not closing. They are opening a new store in Camden hopefully by this Fall.

I'm curious as to who exactly this mafia is. I'm definitely not one, don't own a polo shirt and I'm gay, but I know lots of people who go to lots of these bars. I also lived on Selwyn Avenue from 1993 until 1998 at which time I moved to Dilworth. The bars and restaurants, for the most part, in both of these areas have been filled with preps, yuppies, and I guess polo mafioso the whole time I've been here. They've also had a decent mix of hippies (or really yippies, yuppies who like to wear worn out clothes and drive old Volvos), tattoo folks, pot heads, and gays. I don't really go out much any more, so maybe the polovians have taken over, but they certainly aren't new to the area.

As for shushing people cheering for a football game, now them's fightin' words for me at a sports bar. That actually doesn't sound like the typical prep or polo-guy I've seen.

Let me know next time you go -- we'll be happy to join you and cheer for the home team! If you don't feel like dealing with them join us (for away games) at Picasso's downtown on Church. It is all about the games there, great food, beer specials, and everyone there will be cheering as loud as you will be :)

Its also really cool to meet everyone there. It has become a hangout for people who've moved here to cheer on their home team. Everyone is wearing their favorite team jerseys -- last year we met a huge group of friends with cheerful 'ripping' on each others teams. Friends from Cleveland, Chicago, NY, and Pittsburgh -- people we kept up with and hung out with all year long.

I guess to define the PSM's they are the new kids on the block of 21yr olds. The kids that still wear the high school Abercrombie/ Hollister gear that are straight out of college. I have no beef with them and would rather see them than a bunch of hudlem's in the local bars thats for sure. The problem I had the other night is when my friend and I were watching PANTHERS and we were excited and they were complaning about it. We were the outcast to them. So it really pist me off.

See thats not what i would call poloshirt mafia. Those are abercrombie kids, if thats what you call polo shirt mafia, I take back calling myself a member. Honestly Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch are marketed to Young adults, so honestly it has no place in a bar. To me Polo Shirt Mafia= Guys wearing Bright colored polo shirts, khakis shorts, plaid belts, top siders, and sunglasses with glasses holders. Usually guys that went to southern schools (Carolina, C of C, Washington and Lee etc), wear primarily Lacoste, RL Polo and Vineyard Vines, and are generally Frat Boys. Example Below. These guys, myself included have always been around bars in Dilworth, because half of dilworth and myers park is made up of preppy people.

Next time anyone is out and sees what the call a member of the PSM snap a picture because I want to know what other people consider PSM.

for football, i find it hard to beat picasso's on east. it's a big Eagles crowd, but you can usually find fans of just about any team up there. everyone gets along, no bickering/fighting over which team is better, and just an all around good time.

i avoid selwyn pub at all times because of the A&F/Hollister crowd...we just tend to refer to them as the country day class reunion. angry ale's leans towards that crowd as well...i think it has to do with queens being so close. i love a good dive bar and hang out at ed's sometimes but not nearly as often as i used to...i actually had a knife pulled on me after the superbowl by some psycho pats fan! the owner was realy cool about everything and banned the guy for life and i haven't seen him up there since, but the douchebaggery of the typical crowd that is there now is hard to swallow. press box is my typical dive now, and they have live music on the patio some nights. you may want to check that place out before the youngins find it too. :alc:

(Carolina, C of C, Washington and Lee etc), wear primarily Lacoste, RL Polo and Vineyard Vines, and are generally Frat Boys. Example Below. These guys, myself included have always been around bars in Dilworth, because half of dilworth and myers park is made up of preppy people.

Next time anyone is out and sees what the call a member of the PSM snap a picture because I want to know what other people consider PSM.

for football, i find it hard to beat picasso's on east. it's a big Eagles crowd, but you can usually find fans of just about any team up there. everyone gets along, no bickering/fighting over which team is better, and just an all around good time.

i avoid selwyn pub at all times because of the A&F/Hollister crowd...we just tend to refer to them as the country day class reunion. angry ale's leans towards that crowd as well...i think it has to do with queens being so close. i love a good dive bar and hang out at ed's sometimes but not nearly as often as i used to...i actually had a knife pulled on me after the superbowl by some psycho pats fan! the owner was realy cool about everything and banned the guy for life and i haven't seen him up there since, but the douchebaggery of the typical crowd that is there now is hard to swallow. press box is my typical dive now, and they have live music on the patio some nights. you may want to check that place out before the youngins find it too. :alc:

Archived