Grand Rapids Changes Library Catalog System

GRPL is moving to a new library catalog system:

http://www.mlive.com/northeastadvance/inde...ill_save_g.html

I applaud the move to an open source ILS software system, but this will have fairly large impact on non-grpl library patrons. I love the inter library loan system they have now, being a resident of Ottawa county and all. With the new move, IIRC, if a non-GRPL patron wants to search the GRPL system, you have to get a GRPL card in addition to your home library card. Then, from what i've been told, you will have to pick up the book at a GRPL location (haven't found out yet if I can have this sent to my nearest grpl library or if i will have to go to the holding library). Same goes for drop offs, you have to drop off at a GRPL location. Yuk. I realize GRPL has no real responsibility to continue to take part in the inter library loans, but I have to wonder how much of thier circulation will drop off as a result.

Does anyone else have any more information on the switch? I'd like to find out the details for certain.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from the Press story:

"Even with the change in catalog system, GRPL will remain a member of the Lakeland Library Cooperative and will continue to share resources with other libraries who are members of the cooperative."

There's no indication that books have to be picked up at a GRPL location. Who told you that? An actual library employee?

This evening i picked up a memo issued by the lakeland library cooperative which states that effective 9/29, any holds a patron has with GRPL, the patron will be contacted to determine which grpl location the patron would like to pick up the material at. grpl items will no longer appear in the lakenet.llcoopr.org system. books must be picked up at grpl locations. patrons are strongly encouraged to return items to a grpl location, items not returned to grpl could take up to 5 days to be returned to to a grpl branch and late fees will be incurred up until a grpl branch receives the material. after 9/29 if you want a grpl material, you have to get a grpl card and search the grpl database.

There were some other things in there as well, if I can pick up another memo I'll fill in the details. I'd scan the memo, but my 3yo daughter (cute little thing) took the memo and made it an "invitation" and put it in her friends mailbox two houses down.

Archived