Dekalb largest City  

12 members have voted

1. 1. You think Dunwoody will become a city

• yes
    • no

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I don't think Dunwoody will become a true incorporated city. I lived in Dunwoody near the Peachford hosptial area in 2002-2003 and i just don't see the potential there. Many people move to Dunwoody to escape the hustle and bustle of Atlanta and city life. I don't believe the residents of that area would vote on the fact of incorporating Dunwoody. Plus it's no real centralized downtown/primary business district. it's just designated shopping areas and several residental developments. Then it's bordered on too many points by other communities such as Doraville, Chamblee, Sandy Springs, and so forth. If it does it has a long way to go, but anything is possible as was the case in Sandy Springs a few years back.

Why is this in the Georgia section when Dunwoody is decidedly a suburb of Atlanta? Also, I would like for someone...particular the originator of the thread to designate what denotes a "true city." If incorporation is that designation then Dunwoody is a true city.

Now to the question of the thread, there are a few corrections I see that need to be made.

us-019_ga-400_nb_exit_005a_03.jpg

flyover_title.jpg

Correction 1.

This issue to incorporate Dunwoody was on the July 15th ballot. For those of voting age in the Atlanta metro area, that should have been readily known. That is of course if you vote. The vote was given a resounding yes by the citizens of Dunwoody and therefore the city of Dunwoody was created. The official incorporation happens on December 1, 2008. There are already candidates for mayor and city council.

Marcus, I will assume that you are from the metro Atlanta area. This information should have been known to you. I'm not trying to be testy, it's just that I feel that correct information should be given at all times. Especially when you go through the trouble of starting a thread regarding a city. That's neither here nor there so moving right along....

Correction 2.

There is no centralized downtown area. Incorrect. There may not be a main street per se but there is definitely a place that is known to be the "center" of Dunwoody. I grew up in Dunwoody of Fulton County (now apart of incorporated Sandy Springs and not apart of the newly incorporated Dunwoody). For locals and people familiar with Dunwoody, the understood center of Dunwoody is the intersection of Chamblee-Dunwoody and Mount Vernon....known as Dunwoody Village. Dunwoody is now a city of over 30,000 people with a definitve centralized village.

I would also like to add that Dunwoody is more than just a bunch of shopping centers thrown together. Dunwoody Village and the Spruill Family go way back. Although there are like characteristics between Dunwoody and Tyson's Corner, VA, Dunwoody is not some upstart Disneyesque place. It is one steeped in history. I encourage everyone to research ot for yourself. It is just as much a city as any city incorporated prior or that will be incorporated after.

Dunwoody_GA.jpg

Now, I would also like to add that Dunwoody co-shares with Sandy Springs the economic powerhouse known as the Perimeter Center area. Dunwoody is also home to Perimeter Mall. The Perimeter Center area has more class A office space than many second tier cities in the southeast have in their CBD. This will make the relatively small (geographically) city of Dunwoody a financial powerhouse...if it leverages it's clout properly. The newly elected official will have to reach out to calm the fears of the business leaders of the area. These new leaders will also have to build a strong coalition with neighboring Sandy Springs. This will insure that the Perimeter Center area stays a viable player in the metro Atlanta office and retail market.

I can go on and on about the merits of the city of Dunwoody. Between it's financial might, it's high standard of living, it's relatively minute crime, high scholastic achievements, it's high household income, it's business environment, it's diverse population, it's infrastructure and it's drive for excellence, I don't know what makes it not a true city. Is it a perfect example or urban living with a nice distinct town square....no...but it is far from not being a true city. It's the Incorporated City of Dunwoody....what other litmus must it pass before it can be deemed a "true" city?

I still see too many factors that would prevent Dunwoody from becoming an incorporated city. But as I previously said, Anything is possible because i saw some of those same factors in Sandy Springs before it became incorporated. Dunwoody may be come a so called "true city" which i am taking to mean incorporated. I just don't see it happening soon. Even as a child back in the early 90's i heard of people trying to incorporate Sandy Springs, but the opposition kept winning and stalling it out it took 15Years+ for that incorporation to occur. It's worth watching to see what happens though.

BTW: What area do actually consider to be the "centralized downtown sector" of dunwoody?

I still see too many factors that would prevent Dunwoody from becoming an incorporated city. But as I previously said, Anything is possible because i saw some of those same factors in Sandy Springs before it became incorporated. Dunwoody may be come a so called "true city" which i am taking to mean incorporated. I just don't see it happening soon. Even as a child back in the early 90's i heard of people trying to incorporate Sandy Springs, but the opposition kept winning and stalling it out it took 15Years+ for that incorporation to occur. It's worth watching to see what happens though.

BTW: What area do actually consider to be the "centralized downtown sector" of dunwoody?

Do we all not read the post that preceeds ours?

The vote on incorporation of Dunwoody has already occured. It was approved by the citizens of the area. Dunwoody, Ga officially opens on December 1, 2008. The votes have already been counted. Dunwoody is now an incorporated city just waiting for it's charter to become official on December 1st.

Although I realize that many people of today do not like to read...and my post can be long at times...I have already explained that the question of if Dunwoody would be incorporated has already been answered. As of December 1, 2008, Dunwoody will become an incorporated city of the great state of Georgia. The voters of the area voted almost unanimously YES for incorporation. Also, I stated in my post that long time residents view the intersection of Mount Vernon and Chamblee-Dunwoody Rd as the unofficial "centralized downtown sector." Technically is just north of that intersection but that's really splitting hairs.

What's interesting to me is that if you drive around Georgia and visit many cities of 30,000 people or less, there is not this amazing centralized downtown. In fact, Warner Robins in Twiggs County has almost twice as many people as the newly incorporated Dunwoody yet it's "centalized downtown sector" is but a little more recognizable than Dunwoody's.

I will repeat Dunwoody is now an incorporated city. There is no ifs, ands or buts about it. I apologize for the big font above but I did not want someone to say again "if" Dunwoody becomes incorporated. It was in Georgia's largest newspaper that the people of the area voted "YES."

• 5 months later...

Archived