Mixson

Native_Son

http://www.insidemixson.com/Watch

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/aug/18..._resident51183/

I looked and didn't see this mentioned anywhere else here (at least not in the topic title) and it is definitely worth posting. The comments in the Charleston Net article are particularly interesting.

The concept looks good: higher density, smaller living space. The pictures on the Mixson site of the inside and outside of the places look cool. The location is the issue, N Charleston has the 7th most murders per capita in the US. But, if it's going to turn around it's going to take things like this, right?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks decent enough. The site plan seems pretty good (though I would like to see more detail), and I generally like the look of it. I like the high amount of connectivity, though I think for a new urban development it has entirely too many garages and an apparent lack of street parking. I also think everything is too tall because there are garages on the ground level. I realize there are probably building regulations that force the height due to a flooding potential, etc.

Thanks for the update!

This looks decent enough. The site plan seems pretty good (though I would like to see more detail), and I generally like the look of it. I like the high amount of connectivity, though I think for a new urban development it has entirely too many garages and an apparent lack of street parking. I also think everything is too tall because there are garages on the ground level. I realize there are probably building regulations that force the height due to a flooding potential, etc.

Thanks for the update!

And there you have it. Your problem is not the presence of the cars, its the separation of I'On from other land uses. I completely agree that issue is a major problem and despite all of the good things about I'On that is one of its major drawbacks. For what its worth, there are plenty of studies out there that show on street parking makes for safer streets, which is why I don't like the garages. Some on-site car storage is fine, but their renderings make it seem as though there will be no visible cars in Mixson, and IMO that will kill any future this development has if it turns out to be true. Despite my problems with our car-oriented society, they are necessary to add life to a neighborhood. Infact, all of the old neighborhoods we love in every city will have on-street parking.

OK, fair enough. The cars on the street in I'on themselves don't bother me, you're right. It's the sense that you can't really come or go anywhere worthwhile without the cars, just like in Snee Farm or Hobcaw or wherever else, and yet there is less space. So you have density without the benefits.

The Neck area is going to experience a major resurgence. There are now 3 significant redevelopment projects in the area, all of which will bring more people to the area, increase land values around them, and increase the desirability of the area.

Archived