Basilica of St. Lawrence

Neo

My wife and I were in Asheville this past weekend and in walking around we ran into a lady doing upkeep on the flower beds in front of St. Lawrence. She told us a bit about the history of the church and welcomed us to go inside to take some shots (I was photographing the outside of the place) as it is open to the public.

I had no idea such a grand church was in Asheville and will be going back in the future to get more detailed and well-though out shots, but I wanted to share what I got this time around:

2777880659_6dcf433955.jpg

2777881235_8eb32d8cf2.jpg

2778742606_763b2388e8.jpg

2778740358_18273cdfb6.jpg

2777885515_732c1184c0.jpg

2778744428_29d466a97f.jpg

2777887595_e0662ac09a.jpg

2778745014_8288e44fd9.jpg

2777891849_d691f0ddd0.jpg

2778747652_bea3d75ba2.jpg

Wow, actually I've never seen the inside of St. Lawrence. I think you heard the story already, but the plans for this church were drawn up by a guy that George Vanderbilt brought over from Spain to assist with the design and construction of Biltmore. Quite a few of the unique, highly detailed early 20th century structures in Asheville have their roots in the Vanderbilts and Biltmore.

It is amazing inside and open pretty late according to their website. For anyone visiting Asheville I would encourage you to swing by and take a peek. The pictures above simply do not do the place justice, particularly the size of the dome.

Wow, actually I've never seen the inside of St. Lawrence. I think you heard the story already, but the plans for this church were drawn up by a guy that George Vanderbilt brought over from Spain to assist with the design and construction of Biltmore. Quite a few of the unique, highly detailed early 20th century structures in Asheville have their roots in the Vanderbilts and Biltmore.

Guastavino had been in the US and was already quite successful prior to being hired by George Vanderbilt for the work at the Biltmore Estate. There are a number of famous structures in NYC and throughout the country that bear his mark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guastavino_tile

There was also a stonemason by the name of Bitter who did a lot of work on the Biltmore House and his descendants remain as Asheville residents to this day.

By the way, if you do get a chance to tour the Basilica, try to get a tour by one of the docents. You'll be privy to a lot of additional information about the building that you wouldn't otherwise get.

Edited by Lootles

St. Mary's at the corner of Macon Avenue and Charlotte Street is another church on the same level, in my opinion. We call it "the Enchanted Church."

This is Asheville we're talking about here -- it probably really is enchanted. Is it open during the day? Whenever things are going wrong, I like to spend time in churches until I feel some peace again. Going to St. Lawrence or the cathedral usually makes me feel much better, but if there's yet another place I could go and meditate and pray, I'd love to know about it. Unfortunately, most of the churches here are locked during the day.

Edited by hauntedheadnc

This is Asheville we're talking about here -- it probably really is enchanted. Is it open during the day? Whenever things are going wrong, I like to spend time in churches until I feel some peace again. Going to St. Lawrence or the cathedral usually makes me feel much better, but if there's yet another place I could go and meditate and pray, I'd love to know about it. Unfortunately, most of the churches here are locked during the day.

I believe it is open during the day. It certainly used to be though I haven't been by there for a while. It's a lovely little church, I hope you like it.

http://stmarysasheville.org/worship.html

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...