Orlando Art & Sculpture Displays

JRS1

New topic. A little showcase of all the art in and around town. no photos today, rather, a short list off the top of my head of art displays downtown (and notable art outside of DT):

1. City Hall glass sculpture

2. Dynetech- mural & canvasses

3. PTP-- statues

4. Public Library- neon and audio sculpture

5. Camden Orange Court- Postcard mural

6. Fed Courthouse- stained glass and translucent elevator shaft

7. 55W- canvass

8. Paramount- statue of shopper

9. AT&T- tile mural of ship

10. History Center- alligator statues, etc.

11. Vue- north facade oscilating light display.

I know there's more...

do we dare list the Tupperware Center tower 'o tupperware?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fountain with sculptures in Thornton Park

Statue of Liberty on N. Orange at Lake Ivanhoe

Dare I include the Mini Cooper showroom with a car on the wall?

Soon to be Gibson Guitars around downtown. Are there any Lizarts around anymore? How about those cows?

Civil War and WWII sculptures at Lake Eola

We need a big fire in downtown to give reason to commemorate a fireman statue. I know that's bad. Should Buddy Dyer get a statue for allowing the midnight demo of the old McCrory's building?

Every time someone hits a roundabout downtown it's like a live sculpture.

OK. I'm going off on a tangent now.

Don't forget the water features around town too.

Lake Eola Center Fountain

Lake Eola Swan Fountain

Capital Plaza Infinity Fountain

Waverly Bubbling Fountain

Thornton Park Fountain

Signature Building Fountain

The Vue Fountain

Heritage Park Water Feature

Other Art Features:

101 Eola Banners

Vue Lobby and Amenities Deck Art

Publix armless lady

Interesting note... I went to look at some of the units in the Paramount and the sales lady told me that their statues wasn't always armless. Apparently, they presented it for approval with arms, but it was agrees that it would be more edgy without arms, so they chopped them off. Hence the armless lady.

Don't forget about the cool water fountain at the Star Tower.

There will be sculpted guitars being painted and adorned by local artists and put around town much like the Lizart project a few years ago. You can see a guitar at City Arts Factory if you would like to see the scale. It is viewable from outside, so it doesn't matter if the place is open.

With regard to the lizart, cow, and guitars around town... the artists have to submit a drawing with their applications. Also, all or most funding comes from private donors/sponsors on these types of projects.

Also, whatever happened to the pelicans that were supposed to be on Magnolia? I don't think I ever saw that installed.

While I can see his point about the lizards and cows, I don't object to it as a form of public art. I think it's healthy for a city to take a symbol and have local artists have their different ways with it and then display the results as art around town. At the very least, children will get a kick out of seeing a multi-colored animal on an otherwise boring street corner.

I agree to a point, but so much of what gets approved in the way of this type of thing ends up being sort of tacky looking. I remember the "cop" lizard that was in what used to be Barnett then Signature Plaza @ Orange & Church. Wasn't long before someone broke the gun off & stole it then some other things disappeared off his costume. After awhile, several of them got kind of beaten up & tattered looking.

On the other hand, I do agree with Mr. Rooney on the notion that artists should earn the right to display something that, whether art or not, is a borderline eyesore. I'm not a believer in restricting an artist's freedom of creativity but I do think that large pieces that are to be displayed in public spaces should be held to a higher standard.

Absolutely.

Fortunately, I don't think Downtown Orlando has any major eyesores on display but I have a feeling we could have our first objectionable piece when officials finally decide to do with what's left of the "round building" that will be demo'd for the PAC.

You must not have been around here when they first unveiled the "glass asparagus" in City Hall Plaza. A lot of people still find that thing a hideous looking waste of public funds.

^^

you're right. art is a landmark. Chicago traditionally had the Picasso and Calder sculptures in the Loop-- The Daley Center and Federal Center icons.

Big names, though. I think LA has a Calder at Century City, but who cares, since Century City is an offic park near Beverly Hills and not downtown LA. Just look for the twin towers where Flamingo Road was set at.

Big name sculptors give notoriety. i.e., that "this town must be special for him to put his sculpture here"- kind of thing.

I know UF has the "french fries" at CSE which reminds me of the Calder style (loosely of course).

Downtown needs more grand abstract art like that. Everybody has heard of the Picasso.

I'll tell you what needs art in downtown... the new Federal Courthouse needs a sculpture outside. The large window was covered and ruined. It has the large square planters which are nice, but a sculpture on the west side of the property where the "tower" portion of the building is located would be a nice addition. Otherwise, it looks somewhat barren and there's too much of that in Parramore.

I'll tell you what needs art in downtown... the new Federal Courthouse needs a sculpture outside. The large window was covered and ruined. It has the large square planters which are nice, but a sculpture on the west side of the property where the "tower" portion of the building is located would be a nice addition. Otherwise, it looks somewhat barren and there's too much of that in Parramore.

I have recently decided to get healthy, but exercise for its own sake has always been boring to me. To trick myself into walking around more, I have started going on 'photo safari's' when I'm not working that day with the intent of posting on different threads when I see requests for photos. True, most of the time I end up in an air conditioned bar, but baby steps. For example only two of these photos were on my first safari, and I didn't even get one in today.

Confederate Soldiers Memorial

th_2006-06-20_13-54-15.jpg

Battle of the Bulge Memorial

th_2006-06-20_14-01-15.jpg

Not sure of the real names of these:

Postcard Flip Book

th_2008-08-28_14-34-04.jpg

Alligators and Trapper

th_2008-08-28_14-35-48.jpg

Does Orlando have an ordinace requiering a fountain or some sculpture in new developments?

I wouldn't consider the glass asparagus "comforting"..... maybe interesting.

I spoke to someone with ties to city hall about the glass asparagus. The city seems to think with all the new development around city hall the asparagus is lost in the mix and can not be properly lit... sigh what a waste.

Anyone notice the fountains "thunderstorm" display is no longer used either?

I love the confederate memorial.... always seems to catch people off guard when they realise what it is. You know it used to be at the intersection of Central and Magnolia.

Here you can see it on the left of the photo

19974201.jpg

Does Orlando have an ordinace requiering a fountain or some sculpture in new developments?

I wouldn't consider the glass asparagus "comforting"..... maybe interesting.

I spoke to someone with ties to city hall about the glass asparagus. The city seems to think with all the new development around city hall the asparagus is lost in the mix and can not be properly lit... sigh what a waste.

Anyone notice the fountains "thunderstorm" display is no longer used either?

I love the confederate memorial.... always seems to catch people off guard when they realise what it is. You know it used to be at the intersection of Central and Magnolia.

Here you can see it on the left of the photo

19974201.jpg

Archived