Aloft Hotel?

orulz

What's the status of this project? According to aloft's website the hotel os supposed to open March 1, 2012.

http://www.starwoodh...propertyID=3373

They better get a move on, because unless something happens RSN there is no way they can beat that date. I wonder if they're having funding issues like everyone else?

Maybe they can dig up the parking lot and turn it into a mud pit like Zona Lofts.

• 10 months later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Article here.

City council just gave approval to their portion of this project. I'm not entirely clear as to whether that means this project has 100% of its financing in place, or if that just means the parking deck will be built but McKibbon still has to line up their financing to build the hotel portion. Looking at my prior post from December, it seems that maybe McKibbon already has their financing in place and it was contingent on the City Council approval.

This will be funded out of parking revenues, since the city now has all of its parking bonds paid off. The retired bonds were issued roughly 20 years ago to build the Wall Street and Rankin Avenue decks.

It seems based on the number of units that this will be exactly one floor shorter than the renderings indicate. I really have no problem with that. Also recall that PIP is retaining a strip of land along Lexington Avenue that they hope to develop into relatively inexpensive residential units, as well as a small parcel along Biltmore Avenue. In order to be tall enough to mask the blank wall of the parking deck, the building along Lexington would have to be about 50 feet, or probably 5 stories tall.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody else disapointed in the overall design of this project? It's been a couple weeks since I saw it, but my overall impression was one of a cheap suburban hotel perched on a parking garage, really unworthy of the urban setting. Something about the flatness of the facade is troubling...

• 1 year later...

I noticed today that Diamond Brand Outdoors is opening a shop in one of the storefronts on Biltmore.  

I was also reminded how stark and boring this space is (it looked more exciting during construction).  I wish PIP could figure out how to dress it up a bit.  Since it's a slab, I don't guess they can do a parklet, but something would be nice.

That, along with the Lexington avenue side, were intended for "future development". Real estate in Asheville is at least as hot as it was back in 2007. The South Slope especially is going bonkers right now - though the boundaries of the South Slope are at least somewhat debatable. I would possibly consider the Lexington side of Aloft to be on the northeastern fringe of the South Slope, though the Biltmore side definitely resides within downtown proper.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Council Agenda Item for tomorrow has more details and a few low-res elevation renderings. 1 commercial space at the corner, and 5 live/work units at ground level along Lexington. The renderings give the impression that it will cover the entire face of the garage.

It's crazy how much it costs to bury utility lines.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived