orulz

Aloft Hotel?

What's the status of this project? According to aloft's website the hotel os supposed to open March 1, 2012.

http://www.starwoodh...propertyID=3373

They better get a move on, because unless something happens RSN there is no way they can beat that date. I wonder if they're having funding issues like everyone else?

Maybe they can dig up the parking lot and turn it into a mud pit like Zona Lofts.

According to the Citizen-Times, the Aloft just got financing. It includes a City-financed and operated 412 story parking deck. The C-T says it's been decreased from 8 to 6 stories (though the approved design shows only 7 stories) and from 146 to 115 rooms. Hopefully they haven't dropped the retail.

Article here.

City council just gave approval to their portion of this project. I'm not entirely clear as to whether that means this project has 100% of its financing in place, or if that just means the parking deck will be built but McKibbon still has to line up their financing to build the hotel portion. Looking at my prior post from December, it seems that maybe McKibbon already has their financing in place and it was contingent on the City Council approval.

This will be funded out of parking revenues, since the city now has all of its parking bonds paid off. The retired bonds were issued roughly 20 years ago to build the Wall Street and Rankin Avenue decks.

It seems based on the number of units that this will be exactly one floor shorter than the renderings indicate. I really have no problem with that. Also recall that PIP is retaining a strip of land along Lexington Avenue that they hope to develop into relatively inexpensive residential units, as well as a small parcel along Biltmore Avenue. In order to be tall enough to mask the blank wall of the parking deck, the building along Lexington would have to be about 50 feet, or probably 5 stories tall.

I can definitely report that there is now a large hole in the ground where the Aloft will be. No pictures, but the hole really is pretty immense. This is a big project.

Not a lot to report except that it is getting closer to completion (duh). I do hope that the workforce housing happens sooner rather than later. That blank wall along Lexington looks fugly (looks like the L building in Raleigh).

Anybody else disapointed in the overall design of this project? It's been a couple weeks since I saw it, but my overall impression was one of a cheap suburban hotel perched on a parking garage, really unworthy of the urban setting. Something about the flatness of the facade is troubling...

I noticed today that Diamond Brand Outdoors is opening a shop in one of the storefronts on Biltmore.  

I was also reminded how stark and boring this space is (it looked more exciting during construction).  I wish PIP could figure out how to dress it up a bit.  Since it's a slab, I don't guess they can do a parklet, but something would be nice.

That, along with the Lexington avenue side, were intended for "future development". Real estate in Asheville is at least as hot as it was back in 2007. The South Slope especially is going bonkers right now - though the boundaries of the South Slope are at least somewhat debatable. I would possibly consider the Lexington side of Aloft to be on the northeastern fringe of the South Slope, though the Biltmore side definitely resides within downtown proper.

A four story 32 unit apartment building sounds great along Lexington. As for the concrete pad on Biltmore, maybe something modular like a shipping container structure would work there.

The Council Agenda Item for tomorrow has more details and a few low-res elevation renderings. 1 commercial space at the corner, and 5 live/work units at ground level along Lexington. The renderings give the impression that it will cover the entire face of the garage.

It's crazy how much it costs to bury utility lines.

Photo of the Alfot today on S Biltmore Street.  Hotel lobby on 2nd floor retail on ground floor.   (dog artwork in ground floor lobby) 

IMG_8933.JPG

IMG_8935.JPG

IMG_8937.JPG

IMG_8941.JPG

• Like 2