Oh by the way...

Use this thread to post about smaller things going on about town that don't really need their own thread. If they end up be worthy of their own thread, I'll split them out into a new one.

Not really worth its own thread, but a nice remodel going on Downcity:

Custom House building gets facelift [Providence Business News]

The building is being redeveloped by owner Premier Development Inc., which bought it in 2003 and is serving as general contractor, said owner David Corsetti.

The building, at 36 Weybosset St., had formerly housed The Custom House Tavern. The subterranean first floor and second floor will be a new restaurant, Corsetti said last week.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After checking out CW28's wiki entry it looks like all of their master control is now based in Salt Lake City, so I assume all they have here is a business and sales office. Lame. I miss the days of real local TV with local personalities and shows. Even WLVI in Boston is now nothing more than a retransmission with no original programming or offices. Bah!

Quietly underway at 101 Plain St behind Rhode Island Hospital is an interesting building update. The old Bay Tower Nursing Home building, which is a "X" layout shaped tower of about 8-10 floors or so, is being redone into what looks like medical offices.

The building, which was brick and inoffensive, is having its windows redone from horizontal strips of individual windows like you'd see in an old apartment building to having contiguous vertical glass stretching from ground level all the way to the top floor like you'd see in a modern office tower. It makes the building look 100% better and 100% taller.

Cotuit here often mentions how when architects chose vertical window orientation it makes things look far more urban and far taller, and this building redo is a great example. I'll try to snap a photo next week...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...