EBR Libraries

nquint1

Everyone should take a look at the design concepts for the new main library. After all that bickering, I'm impressed with what they came up with. Hopefully they'll still give a lot of attention to the downtown library. I'd like to see it replaced with a really uniqe piece of architecture... Maybe Frank Gehry. :rolleyes: Here's a link to the designs:

http://www.ebr.lib.la.us/about/designconcepts.htm

Library designs available for inspection

The East Baton Rouge Parish Library is seeking public feedback on the three architectural designs proposed for the new Main Library, Assistant Library Director Mary Stein said Tuesday.

All three designs, posted on the library system

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FINALLY, someone posted this, so now I can rant about it. Last spring, the School of Arch went on a firm crawl through mid-city. We visited Tipton and Associates, and they told us what they had in mind for the new library, and showed us all of these amazing conceptual ideas, that would put Baton Rouge on the map in terms of its design. Its a very nice design, and will be a nice building, but its not what I was expecting after meeting with them. I am kind of disappointed, and really wish they would just build it downtown...

My bad Buckett, we have a thread on this that I started "New Main Library Location"/ Controversy; Downtown vs. Mid-city. Dan was the last to post way back on May 30th (first topic ofPage #3). I didn't think very many cared + have been too busy lately.

Me too...I wanted to see a new state of the art Main Library go downtown. But the leaders folded under pressure from the whiners; who whined and complained enough to keep the "Main" library at Independence Park. For some reason alot of those people couldn't understand the pathetic excuse for the current Main Library would have actually been "upgraded" undr the original plan into a Super Regional library; but that wasn't good enough. Like yall said, hopefully something nice can still be built downtown.

The opponets that say nobody uses the current downtown library is a little misleading; simply because of the limite services there. I'm a firm believer of "build it and they will come."

Since we have to work with the library staying in it's current location, based upon the site plans posted, I think I like concept C. Having the Cyber Cafe will be cool while I'm waiting on my kids at soccer practice. I wish I could access a reliable wireless network out there NOW!!!

I think the desgin is OK, but still a little disappointing. What I've decided though was that I'd rather them build a mediocre library now and then 15-20 years later when that one becomes too small, and then big nice one downtown.

I kind of wonder if this new library will be able to expand, I say this because if ya'll remember the original new library was going to be 200,000 sq ft and then got reduced to 80,000 and I have a feeling they didn't just pull 200,000 out their ears.

Archived