Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

With the unveiling of its design today, I think it's time we move all discussion of the PAC into its own thread and keep it separate from the mega thread that covers the new arena and Citrus Bowl as well.

Here's the first rendering of the new PAC and a link to the corresponding Orlando Sentinel article:

41764627.jpg

^ Leave it to Baker Barrios to figure out a way to put a visor on the PAC.

EDIT: Added the following rendering, elevations, and floor plans:

rendering2.jpg

pac1cr7.jpg

pac2fk7.jpg

pac3vt3.jpg

pac4ip3.jpg

pac5bz6.jpg

pac6sl5.jpg

pac7qo8.jpg

pac8cb9.jpg

pac9in9.jpg

pac10kv7.jpg

pac11fa8.jpg

pac12pc6.jpg

With the unveiling of its design today, I think it's time we move all discussion of the PAC into its own thread and keep it separate from the mega thread that covers the new arena and Citrus Bowl as well.

Here's the first rendering of the new PAC and a link to the corresponding Orlando Sentinel article:

41764627.jpg

^ Leave it to Baker Barrios to figure out a way to put a visor on the PAC.

Comparing this to the site plan, it looks like we are looking South along the Magnolia walkway. Halls to the left, openspace to the right.

41771049.jpg

No No No.... this terrace does not work. It may look striking on foot, but not from I-4...not from the air... where are the visually stunning elements? :(

A flat roof is nothing but problems from an upkeep prospective (water pools and eventually leaks)

60's mod indeed... it looks like it was built at the same time The American Federal Building (The Round Building) was built.

I know I am going to get slammed for forming a fast negative opinion of the PAC but this design BLOWS

I guess that is a "front porch" but where are the rocking chairs?

Also, that open area with the palm trees is supposed to be an outside performance space. There are small ponds in it and lots of trees. What kind of performing will be going on there? Tree climbing art? Rock skipping art? Homeless laying around getting tanned art?

Some of the roof structure (inverted triangles) that is barely shown in the video looks like the church campus down the street or the 7 eleven at Colonial.

Again, why is South Street rounded? Are they trying to slow down traffic? What will go on the land that is jutting down into the current South Street? Is that being given away to private owners?

Edited by bulldogger

"Oh come on", the OPAC does not look that bad. I beg to differ. We haven't seen all of the rendering from it.Later on when it get's built, you might change your opinion. Thank God we are getting a PAC, Event Center and Citrus Bowl. Some cities don't have the opportunity to have what we are getting.

Edited by tc01

I guess that is a "front porch" but where are the rocking chairs?

Also, that open area with the palm trees is supposed to be an outside performance space. There are small ponds in it and lots of trees. What kind of performing will be going on there? Tree climbing art? Rock skipping art? Homeless laying around getting tanned art?

Some of the roof structure (inverted triangles) that is barely shown in the video looks like the church campus down the street or the 7 eleven at Colonial.

Again, why is South Street rounded? Are they trying to slow down traffic? What will go on the land that is jutting down into the current South Street? Is that being given away to private owners?

I think I can answer your question abouth the rounding of South Street. From what I am able to ascertain it looks like part of the UMC rebuild is involved in that "rounding" you see with South Street. It looks like part of the Church will be involved in that road design change. I looked at the Agenda for the MPB this month and they have the UMC design laid out and you can see where they are "abandoning & rounding" South Street! Edited by Theflytyr

I was there after the big unveiling hooha was over. Sorry I didn't think to bring my camera.

I was too interested in the halls themselves to really look at the exterior, which I guess might tell you how ho hum it is. I was surprised that they're keeping Magnolia as a through street. I agree with Tennis 32801, airport curbside. Worse, not even curved like Toronto though. But yeah, I think the Lynx bus station is edgier.

For those interested on the halls though, I got a chance to chat with Benton Delinger from Theatre Projects for about a half hour. The acoustic hall is something special. Full fly house for opera plus two towers and a large upstage seating unit that when its opera time lives in its own upstage garage. These two towers and upstage piece track downstage for concert settings with a hinged acoustic reflector/seal piece that makes the stage house disappear and you are in a shoebox. Three levels above orchestra seating. Three seat carts, movable orchestra pit, and extension stage lift. If all you ever do is go to the phil and walked in to the procenium setting, you'd be hard pressed to recognize the room. It looks like a horseshoe opera house, seats will appear where the orchestra was sitting for their concert. The ceiling pieces will be at a different angle and configurations. For awhile, Orlando will have something totally unique in the world. RedStar25 you'll be glad to know that there is space for an Organ, but between you and I, I don't see one going in, not a true pipe anyway.

The amplified space is a traditional fan seating with two balconies, and much shallower seating than at the Carr, by about 30-40' I guess, much more intimate. All the backstage and logistic things I was hoping for. And the dock entrance is on Rosalind it looks like, but will be hidden from the street by the rear office building fronting Rosalind.

Most of the stuff I'll be interested in hasn't yet been finalized, and the design process continues.

Did anyone actually go down there? We need more to look at. This is only giving a small perspective of the entire space.

And what is up with the rounding of South Street? What is the point in that?

More land to FUMCO I believe. I remember someone mentioning it, probably RedStar.

I would like to see a fly through rendering from above in context with the surrounding buildings (SunTrust, City Hall, Lincoln, Bohemian, FUMCO, CNLs) to get an idea of the scale of this thing. Is the space south of this block (currently used for parking) going to be the staging area?

Is this initial or final? How far are we from groundbreaking?