Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

It looks like a second fenced off perimeter going up to Orange Ave.  is this for staging or another project?

The interior black vertical surface that could look like a fenced perimeter is excavated. The one up next to Orange has the concrete barricade base. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it depends on the project, but a lot of times they will rent space at another vacant nearby site for worker parking and bus workers over in the early morning and store some materials there. Mostly it is good scheduling with JIT (Just in time) deliveries so that there is not a whole lot of stored material. Also can use the building footprint itself for certain things. With tilt wall construction on a constrained site, they can use flat foundations as casting beds for the wall panels, or they can use precast sections and truck them in the day of installation. I am not positive of the structural systems involved in this project in particular, but I imagine a combination of some of these things will be utilized to mitigate the lack of space available on site. They will use the footprint of the building after dry-in to store materials for MEP and interior finishes. A building like this is ideal because you have a large room to store stuff in without worrying about structural components in the way.

Also, a lot of prefab work is done for MEP scopes via BIM on a project of this size. They will build the project virtually before they build the project, and then use these models to eliminate errors, clashes, and rework in the field.  Once the digital version is refined by the Architect, Engineers, and key structural, acoustical, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing subcontractors, they can build much of the necessary guts offsite, ship it to site in manageable chunks the day the installation is scheduled to start, and put it in place. The level of pre-planning and detail is crazy for this magnitude of project, especially on the acoustical, electrical, mechanical, and specialty side of a world-class performing arts center. It is truly amazing what designers, engineers, and builders can do these days!

Edited by dcluley98

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, metal93 said:

I think it should all just be kept in a single thread, all that has to be done is modify the title of this thread, change the bracketed portion to [Phase 2 under construction].

I agree. No need to make a whole new thread. After all, this is still the same building. They're just finishing it with phase two. Technically the building is still not completed right now.

Edited by orange87

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

drove by there.  their basement is pretty deep.  the original depth they dug to has doubled in depth the past few months; it steps down.

I searched for the section view drawings, and can't come up with them.  If I remember correctly (going back almost a decade now) there is a mechanism to store seating under the floor of the space when it converts to a flat-floor configuration. That may be what the extra depth is for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Rick Steve's Europe on PBS. This episode he's in Copenhagen. He began the show with a boat ride down the city's main canal and past the Copenhagen Opera House. 

I couldn't help but notice a certain similarity...

copenhagen-opera-house.jpg

....to another, somewhat newer and much more local performing arts venue.

DPAC.jpg

Possibly the source of inspiration for DPAC?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

Copenhagen Opera House building itself is probably two times the size of Orlando and way nicer for a cheaper price.

Whether your claims are accurate or not, my comment had to do with the obvious similarities in overall appearance.

I think the case could be made that the designer of DPAC was at least moderately influenced by Copenhagen's opera house.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smileguy said:

From this morning at the Dr. Phillips Center's ground floor. I meant to get some from up above, but wasn't able to after my event.

IMG_2715.thumb.JPG.fe362884ac380467178f3da0ec880cf3.JPG

IMG_4034.thumb.JPG.abad9aa3c814fbd8ab213fff9abc919e.JPG

Can someone much smarter than myself explain what is going on here? They look like rotted away beams but I would assume they are all brand new going in there.

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Can someone much smarter than myself explain what is going on here? They look like rotted away beams but I would assume they are all brand new going in there.

I was thinking the same thing. 

Maybethey will put round or square forms around each then pour more concrete around them.