Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, orange87 said:

I don't get it. I thought it would just look like the other side. I wonder why they didn't end up making the building symmetrical.

Plans change, I guess.

But viewing it from the front, it will look so close to symmetrical, most people won't notice it's not without looking for it.

20 hours ago, orange87 said:

I don't get it. I thought it would just look like the other side. I wonder why they didn't end up making the building symmetrical.

It is shockingly tall, but not a change of plans - I am presuming it's to accommodate elements of the convertible space.   These flying walls have to go somewhere:

It's height holds the fly system for the theater. 

After Phase II is completed OCPS has plans to build its first "vertical" school dedicated to the arts that attaches to the new green room and the theaters.

I would assume "vertical" means a mid or highrise school.  I heard students will have to get to the school on their own as there will be no traditional bus drop off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

After Phase II is completed OCPS has plans to build its first "vertical" school dedicated to the arts that attaches to the new green room and the theaters.

I would assume "vertical" means a mid or highrise school.  I heard students will have to get to the school on their own as there will be no traditional bus drop off. 

Have we heard how that affects Howard's arts magnet or do they envision Howard as a sort of "feeder" to what they're doing at DPAC?

33 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

Interesting tidbit on the no school buses. I could see OCPS paying Lynx a bit extra to provide additional service to the lines that serve the school during the small windows that students arrive and depart the school.

21 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Maybe even pay Sunrail a bit extra. When in High school up in Philly, the school district provided tokens at a discount price to ride SEPTA to school.

With Teresa settling in for a likely 8-year run as OCPS chair, I wouldn't expect much in the way of changes. That's not a knock on Teresa - I voted for her (yep, somebody tell Dale I voted for a Republican!<g>) - it's just she's a suburbanite to her core.

Moving forward, OC is a lot more urban than it was when the school buses started running (and Lynx didn't exist.) It's probably time to think about how OCPS and Lynx could combine service in the densely-populated core areas. An additional problem may be Tallahassee - the Legislature has been tilted toward its suburban and rural constituencies for decades now.