Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

4 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Maybe even pay Sunrail a bit extra. When in High school up in Philly, the school district provided tokens at a discount price to ride SEPTA to school.

I vaguely remember in South Florida Tri-Rail vouchers or something were given to high school students who went to magnet schools or something like that as there was no bus service and they had long trips to the often non-local magnet schools. This memory is from like probably 20 years ago when I was in HS and I've heard nothing of it since... so take of that what you will.

• Thanks 1

I graduated from the Visual & Perf. Arts magnet at Dr. Phillips in 2005, and they'd already ditched magnet buses by my time there.   I want to say OCPS defunded them sometime between 2000-2002, so this  isn't anything new.  What's new is that it would be a stand alone program, and not a "school-within-a-school" like all of the other magnets are.  I've definitely been curious what impact this would have on Dr. Philips's VPA program.

That being said, @RedStar25, have you heard about this recently?  I hadn't in years and was wondering if this part of the DPAC project had been shelved.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I hope the original master plan to develop those two parcels adjacent to DPAC plaza is realized. 

The colonnade element to the master plan was the part I was looking forward to the most, and done right, it could activate a great public space in a section of CBD lacking one right now.

I'm constantly torn.  It's one of those things I want it to either be done right, or not at all.  It's not a parcel that I can say, eh, well better than nothing.

• Like 2

Well putting it another way, the city basically needs to decide what to do with those parcels because it tends to create an inhospitable environment with Orlando’s overly oppressive long summers. 

If the decision is to reject the master plan and maintain it as as public space, by all means at least do something more with it than throw down sod.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

That would certainly attract a lot of people to go there.

But then again, so would go kart tracks.

I think ice skating is probably a better fit with the aesthetic they’re going for, and since by definition it would be temporary, it gives you other options the other 10 months of the year.

But hey, I’m all for egalitarian. A new Li’l 500 would work perfectly over next to Ace Cafe.

14 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

All true!!!!

But of course, I was being facetious with the go kart track thing.

Maybe they could do a weekend rodeo there. Bronc riding, calf roping, etc.

Country music bands on a stage facing the plaza.

Yee haw.

Hey, we don’t wanna steal Kissimmee’s thunder! (Buddy would never do that...)

Which reminds me, is the Silver Spurs being affected by OCSC’s use of Osceola Heritage Park?

Meanwhile, more country downtown might be just the ticket for new interest in the Cheyenne.