Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

I am a little puzzled by that donation. Why designate it for the second phase of construction, which at the moment is looking like a pipe dream that may take upwards of ten years to come to fruition? If they are so committed to the arts (and God bless them for that) wouldn't they want to make sure their philanthropy helps get phase one out of the ground? Ya can't have the second act without there being a first. I'm just sayin.

Part of the issue with the phasing of the project includes the fact that Orlando's resident companies - The Philharmonic and Ballet - which were used to sell the project - would have no home within the building's first phase. I think this is telling the PAC that the Phil and Ballet (and Opera, if we get a new company) are what is important to the community. Philanthropists aren't giving money for a touring concert venue, they support the local arts and culture. This designation can really be used for planning/design of phase two, and really used pretty immediately - but the message is that the second phase is most important to Central Florida.

The latest from Buddy in a speech to United Arts this week:

“We have been working the last few weeks with the county and DPAC to put together a plan that will let us proceed in the spring,” Dyer said. “I just want to assure you we are working very hard to make sure we are able to break ground on the performing arts center, on two of the three theaters, this year.”

Hope springs eternal.

Read this article, letter, and attachment from Mayor Jacobs - http://www.wesh.com/...181/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs said Thursday that members of her staff have uncovered "serious challenges" and "serious financial and construction-related concerns" regarding the project to build the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center.

Her staff has uncovered several major problems in the funding and operations strategy for the new building, as well as $10+ Million in possible efficiencies and cost savings. In short, it sounds like she isn't going to throw any TDT money in until several things get resolved... it could be several years.

The letter and attachments: 26820363.pdf

An email from Buddy sent at 5p today--

Dear Community Leader,

You’re likely to see in the news tonight stories about a memo from Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs today raising concerns over the financing of the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center.

I want to let you know that I was surprised and disappointed by the memo, given the fact that we have said for nearly two years that we will not move forward with the project until we identify a financially viable means to do so.

In fact, over the last ten weeks we have been working with Orange County and DPAC to better identify the various challenges the project faces because of the state of the economy, and then craft solutions to those challenges that would allow the project to move forward. Much of the content of Mayor Jacobs’ memo simply reiterated what we had discussed with her team and what we believed we were working on in terms of a solution for our community.

I want to assure each of you that my commitment to creating a world class performing arts center for our residents remains unchanged, as well as my commitment to doing this project with the utmost accountability and transparency.

Sincerely,

Buddy Dyer

Mayor

The DPAC Board upped the ante:

"We have been working continually for seven years on this project. We vetted this project with the county, city, community and other stakeholders in more than 300 public meetings. We have invited the county to be a part of this process since its inception and have provided all of their requested details. Unfortunately, there are some gross inaccuracies in the memo, particularly as it relates to our fundraising and endowment. These issues were not formally addressed with us before the memo was issued. We were clearly blindsided. We feel confident in the leadership and vision of this project. We stand behind our endowment requirements, capital campaign and operations plans and look forward to delivering the Dr. Phillips Center to this community."

Teresa's shot across the bow is quite unusual in Orlando politics- there's obviously some sort of agenda going on (or maybe just bad blood?) that is causing her to put all this out in the open. Of course, Teresa has always been a bit of a loose cannon but this is one of the most over the top displays by a public official on a local issue I've seen. This seems to be about more than just DPAC. I look forward to hearing "the rest of the story."

Edited by spenser1058

Over the course of my career, the issues brought up are common in large scale development projects. Especially PAC's that are under a lot of pressure. It is good to have a new set of eyes lookng at the contracts before construction starts. I wish they would have done this last year. What will be interesting is if the issues are not issues at all.

I checked out an afternoon concert at Carnegie Hall yesterday and spend some time in the museum there. It appears that as a venue it was first conceived in Europe in 1871 by a conductor that later migrated to New York and founded the New York Oratorio Society. After his death his son took over who was friends with the wife of Andrew Carnegie who subsequently bank rolled the project. Now, if this could be duplicated in Orlando with a wealthy donor or donors to cover the cost we could get the show on the road. Also, the building was constructed by one entity and a separate entity was responsible for ongoing operations. It seems to me that this is where public funds could best be used. I'd love to know how the deal is structured. I also found it fascinating that the facility is regularly used by national and international musicians and while I'm sure that Orlando would have to build a reputation, I have no doubt that a world class facility would attract world class musicians that in and of themselves would support the operations. Just sayin.

I'm curious how much of Jacobs' memo was political posturing (bombshells like that aren't dropped accidentally), and how much is legit.

While I want to see this arts center break ground as much as any supporter, for the past year or so I've felt that DPAC leaders have been pushing for a groundbreaking just so that once the process is started, no one (city or county) would let it go unfinished if the project were to run into any financial difficulties. Just a feeling.

Also, am I the only one who never warmed up to the exterior design?

I also took a look at the list of donors and find it fascinating that three names are conspicuously absent: Rosen, InBev, SunTrust. Not sure they they aren't being better community partners, but it seems absurd.

InBev and Suntrust make sense. Rosen, is a little different. He is very philanthropic based on his history of giving. But it is normally to poverty issues.

I also noticed a few names that were conspicuously absent from the donor list for the DPAC, namely Rosen, InBev, and SunTrust. I seems to me that if this facility is to be back and supported by the leaders of Central Florida, those organizations and individuals need to step up.

OK, Round Two:

Statement from the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts

As we are continuing our dialogue with Mayor Teresa Jacobs, we want to address questions from the media regarding the project status and questions regarding the organization's leadership.

We feel confident in the leadership and vision of this project. Members of our executive committee met with Mayor Jacobs, Comptroller Haynie and county staff Monday to better understand how to move the project forward with the mayor's support.

Our dialogue was positive and spoke to our joint commitment to ensure transparency and public confidence. We have invited the mayor to join us at our board meeting on February 24.

Regarding President Kathy Ramsberger, Kathy continues to be a tremendous resource for this project. She has raised over $80 million dollars and her leadership has been unquestionable.

There is no truth to any rumors of Kathy's resignation. She is a critical component of this project and continues to operate with our board's fullest support and confidence.

Along with our donors and partners, the City of Orlando and Orange County - and with Kathy's leadership - we intend to move this project forward as soon as possible.

As Scott Maxwell pointed out in his blog, the folks at DPAC need to suck this up, acknowledge some errors were made and move forward. At this point, DPAC needs Teresa more than the other way 'round (as I pointed out before the election, Teresa's base is not the downtown crowd; Scott noted in his blog that Teresa is doing exactly what she ran on and, in the short term, does not need these people). From the tone of this letter, that seems to be what is happening, and I can see a way forward where this could strengthen Teresa's "brand" and also improve upon the quality of what gets done on the ground AND in the endowment, which could put us in a much stronger position long-term (thereby avoiding the mess that has taken place in Miami, just to name one prominent example). The Chamber and the powers that be know that the sort of businesses we wish to attract expect a vibrant arts community, and DPAC is vital to that. Even Teresa will bend to that reality if everyone plays to her right now - she has the mandate.

OK, Round Two:

Statement from the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts

As we are continuing our dialogue with Mayor Teresa Jacobs, we want to address questions from the media regarding the project status and questions regarding the organization's leadership.

We feel confident in the leadership and vision of this project. Members of our executive committee met with Mayor Jacobs, Comptroller Haynie and county staff Monday to better understand how to move the project forward with the mayor's support.

Our dialogue was positive and spoke to our joint commitment to ensure transparency and public confidence. We have invited the mayor to join us at our board meeting on February 24.

Regarding President Kathy Ramsberger, Kathy continues to be a tremendous resource for this project. She has raised over $80 million dollars and her leadership has been unquestionable.

There is no truth to any rumors of Kathy's resignation. She is a critical component of this project and continues to operate with our board's fullest support and confidence.

Along with our donors and partners, the City of Orlando and Orange County - and with Kathy's leadership - we intend to move this project forward as soon as possible.

As Scott Maxwell pointed out in his blog, the folks at DPAC need to suck this up, acknowledge some errors were made and move forward. At this point, DPAC needs Teresa more than the other way 'round (as I pointed out before the election, Teresa's base is not the downtown crowd; Scott noted in his blog that Teresa is doing exactly what she ran on and, in the short term, does not need these people). From the tone of this letter, that seems to be what is happening, and I can see a way forward where this could strengthen Teresa's "brand" and also improve upon the quality of what gets done on the ground AND in the endowment, which could put us in a much stronger position long-term (thereby avoiding the mess that has taken place in Miami, just to name one prominent example). The Chamber and the powers that be know that the sort of businesses we wish to attract expect a vibrant arts community, and DPAC is vital to that. Even Teresa will bend to that reality if everyone plays to her right now - she has the mandate.

We knew this was coming and here it is:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-arts-center-plan-20110224,0,2612374.story

Good news all 'round. This week, DPAC also announced additional contributions, including an additional $1 million gift. We've seen recently additional oversight coming to DPAC, OOCEA and OCPS. Our local institutions are proving resilient and able to fight back against corruption, yet progress on significant projects. This bodes well for the area as the economy improves - now if the state will just get on board.