Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

New statement from DPAC.

MAYORS DYER AND JACOBS AND DPAC ANNOUNCE NEXT STEPS IN THE PLAN FOR CONSTRUCTION OF THE DR. PHILLIPS CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS

February 24, 2011Orlando, FL – February 24, 2011 – To address construction concerns and keep the Dr.Phillips Center for the Performing Arts (DPAC) moving forward, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs and DPAC Board Chairman Jim Pugh announced today they have reached conceptual agreement on the formation of a non-profit entity – The Community Construction Corporation (CCC) – to oversee construction of the project.

“The formation of the CCC is an important step in realizing the vision for a new performing arts center for our region,” said Mayor Dyer. “Nearly all of the successes our community has experienced over the past few years are the product of collaboration and partnership between the City, County, our business community and our civic leaders. We are committed to partnering together to jointly identify solutions to ensure the performing arts center is developed in a viable, fiscally-responsible manner.”

The CCC will be a separate entity from DPAC and will manage the construction contracts, develop a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) for Phase 1 and oversee the entire construction process. Assigning the construction responsibilities to the CCC will allow DPAC to focus on capital, endowment and annual campaigns, pre-opening, facility and program operations and ensuring the mission of the project.

“This new organizational structure creates a framework to ensure adherence to the guiding principles of accountability, transparency and fiscal responsibility,” said Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs. “My goal has always been for this community to have a world-class performing arts center. This framework places us in a much better position to understand what it will take to get the project built right with proper oversight.”

Orange County Comptroller Martha Haynie added, “Ensuring the financial integrity of the construction process and future operational budgets is critical to maintaining the public’s trust in the project.”

With the design of the performing arts center nearly complete, the City, the County and DPAC are focused on developing a construction management structure that ensures an open, transparent process and a fiscally prudent construction plan.

The CCC will have a board that will consist of appointees from the funding partners – the City of Orlando, Orange County, the Downtown CRA, and DPAC – and from some of the region’s largest employers and community contributors – including The Walt Disney Company and the Orlando Magic.

The CCC Board will evaluate bids and contracts to develop a construction plan that fits within the budget. As the scope of the final project becomes clear during this process, the CCC will inform the citizens of the final plans and costs of the performing arts center. Additionally, the CCC Board will:

• Utilize a fair and open process to select an owner’s representative firm that will ensure the center’s construction will be on budget and consistent with the interlocal agreement.
  • Conduct a series of input sessions with the City and County to ensure the plans are aligned with best practices of both the public and private sector.
  • Work in an open, proactive and transparent manner that advances the project and is responsive to public and media inquiries.
  • Hold monthly public meetings to review the construction schedule, construction progress and project finances.
  • Provide monthly reports to the DPAC Executive Committee and Board.

DPAC has raised approximately $80 million in private pledges during difficult economic times.<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">According to DPAC Board Chairman Jim Pugh, “This collaboration among the City, County the performing arts center team, and our donors represents the power of a strong public-private partnership and will help move the project forward.”

The next step in the formation of the CCC will come at the scheduled DPAC Board meeting on Thursday, February 24 where Mayors Dyer and Jacobs and Comptroller Haynie will seek the Board’s conceptual approval on the new CCC Board and its role in the project.

I wouldn't compare Scott to dictatorships. It was wrong with the Tea Party said it about elected Democrats and it's wrong to say it about elected Republicans.

Elections have consequences, for better or worse.

I would say that I'm disappointed in the ignorance of my fellow citizens, but in reality the politicians I favor were/are elected by droves of morons as well.

The people who elected Rick Scott believing he would rescue Florida from the tyranny of infrastructure planning are no different than those who elected Obama thinking he'd change the world.

Ignorance knows not party lines. ;P

• 2 weeks later...

This is just another anti-Dyer piece by Mike Thomas. Not really sure I understand the statement: "The axis of Central Florida is tilting east." Unless of course he means that South and West Orlando are sprawled out and now its time to pave over whats left of everything east of Semoroan. I see no "smart leadership and vision" in making East Orlando anything other than a cheap version of MetroWest. Mike fails to mention that UCF gets projects off the ground quickly because it's enjoyed a piggy bank flush with state cash. We all know those days are over.

Further, UCF follows a long tradition of schools that, after getting to a certain level, want to establish separation of town / gown. For UCF to compete with state rivals and recruit talent it was necessary to do so. This is good for UCF, and not necessarily bad for the city of Orlando. It doesn't have to be either/or.

• 4 weeks later...

Dr. Phillips Center Announces New $1 Million Gift

"...The Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts has received another major gift. Winter Park residents, Michael and Deborah Sciarrino, have pledged $1 million toward the project’s endowment. The gift represents the Sciarrino’s support for the arts and specifically, the community programming the mission-driven Center will offer...

...The Sciarrino gift is the second endowment pledge in two months. The project currently exceeds $90 million in philanthropic commitments."

According to the Downtown Orlando website, they seem to be aiming for a 2011 ground breaking. Maybe we'll hear more after today's board of directors meeting.

Shortfall shrinks, but leaders still clash over arts center:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-arts-center-construction-20110412,0,4074813.story

What's interesting in this piece is that Bill Frederick is weighing in. Mayor Bill more or less created modern Orlando; he brought about the new airport, solved the city's sewage crisis in the late 70's/early 80's, got the first arena built as well as the new City Hall. In fact, on most of those projects, there had been dithering for a long period of time before he got each moving forward and completed. A performing arts center to replace Bob Carr was the one piece he didn't get done, and I think he believes it's time.

In short, Mayor Bill is the elder statesman who is looked at to get things done. When Bill speaks, the power structure listens. It helps that he's the "un-politician;" he goes to great lengths to avoid the spotlight. Also, he's a former Democrat, now the last of the moderate Republicans.

In short, if Bill says it's time for this to happen, Teresa's gonna have a tough time fighting it. None of the projects Mayor Bill has brought online have been boondoggles, so that argument loses currency with his imprimatur. This is the best sign yet that we have a "go," unless everything I know about the way Orlando works has changed completely.

Edited by spenser1058

Architect slams cuts to performing arts center

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-arts-center-architect-20110418,0,3930011.story

I do have to wonder at what point we end up with a structure we don't want. My hope is this is playing out in public to make the case that we've gone as far as we can without damage.

Architect slams cuts to performing arts center

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-arts-center-architect-20110418,0,3930011.story

I do have to wonder at what point we end up with a structure we don't want. My hope is this is playing out in public to make the case that we've gone as far as we can without damage.

As for the PAC, I really hope it happens as it would be great for Orlando but "world class"? Nope.

Barton Myers is a friend and former professor...As is often the case the reality is that the dollar/sf available for the project is going to cause a lot of cutbacks and shortcuts, compromising its overall quality.

Look at the PACs in smaller cities like San Sebastian and Oslo. The OPAC can't touch those facilities and San Sebastian for example aint exactly Paris.

...I can deal with the fact that it will be only a so-so facility but in most respects so-so is a big step up for Orlando.

While Barton is a very good Architect and I respect his work, and know that he will do as well as anyone under the circumstances - he is not a miracle worker. The three most important things in building a "world-class" facility require a good Architect, broad community support, and a generous $/sf budget.

Orlando has the good Architect in Barton and seems to have the broad community support but unless some unknown philanthropist ponies up with another $100 million and soon then there is no way OPAC will ever be a "world-class" facility.

The OPAC people are just trying to program too much into their limited budget to allow for the kind of materials, finishes, fixtures, and equipment that is required of a "world-class" facility.

DPAC is now a hostage to partisan politics.

Jacobs is a republican who needed the teabaggers to push her over the top, Dyer is a democrat - the enemy.

Jacobs, no matter how reasonable she may have been as a board member is now beholden to the 'baggers who got her elected.

The best outcome now in order for construction to start anytime soon will be for Jacobs to get her pound of flesh in the press in order to appease the 'baggers while working out some accommodation with Dyer and DPAC quietly, behind the scenes.

The comments posted to the Sentinel article while anecdotal are also indicative of why Orlando still has a long way to come.

A significant part of the problem of course [aside from Central Florida's general cultural immaturity] is the fundamentally corrupt nature of Florida's 'tourist tax' and just how and to whom the receipts can and can not be allocated.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

DPAC is now a hostage to partisan politics.

Jacobs is a republican who needed the teabaggers to push her over the top, Dyer is a democrat - the enemy.

Jacobs, no matter how reasonable she may have been as a board member is now beholden to the 'baggers who got her elected.

The best outcome now in order for construction to start anytime soon will be for Jacobs to get her pound of flesh in the press in order to appease the 'baggers while working out some accommodation with Dyer and DPAC quietly, behind the scenes.

The comments posted to the Sentinel article while anecdotal are also indicative of why Orlando still has a long way to come.

A significant part of the problem of course [aside from Central Florida's general cultural immaturity] is the fundamentally corrupt nature of Florida's 'tourist tax' and just how and to whom the receipts can and can not be allocated.

Some respectful clarification: Teresa Jacobs wasn't elected by the teabaggers, Matt Falconer was their candidate; Teresa's base is the Dr. Phillips Republicans. The Democratic candidate, Bill Segal, ran one of the most inept campaigns in the history of local Florida politics, and as a developer, managed to weaken the turnout of the progressives who first elected Buddy back in 2003. Buddy also committed a major faux pas (at least by OC standards) in endorsing Segal early on.

Now, having said that, the Dr. Phillips crowd wants DPAC built eventually (they do love their Broadway Series). As Pitt Warner says in the OS comments (you can actually learn a lot if you read between the lines there - he's a doctrinaire WP Republican), this will eventually get done because Teresa can't alienate virtually the entire elite class of the county in both parties. So what's happening? (1) Teresa has never been tactful - you'll notice she comes out with guns a blazing in her letters and then dials back later. (2) She's doing what every OC government has done (with the exception of Linda Chapin's), especially since we switched to the mayor system, showing the City who has the power (Buddy had come out on top once Rich became a lame duck - she's putting Buddy back in the box). After all, who has more constituents? (3) Teresa may also be making points for her political future - you may remember that when Glenda was angling for a job with Jeb she came out against the City's rights ordinance even though she continued to support it behind the scenes. (4) The Sentinel is loving the page hits they get from this - the elites vs. the populists. (5) Teresa flat out doesn't like a lot of these people and the feeling is mutual.

Bill Frederick pointed out that, not unlike what happened with the Cuban Missile Crisis, one wrong move could blow this to kingdom come. But when the Chamber supports DPAC, Disney supports DPAC, the rich folks support DPAC, look for a last-minute accommodation to occur that gives Teresa the chance to show how tough she is while completing the structure that matters more for attracting business than an arena does in study after study.

One last thought on Slantinel commenters: if you read the comments in the NY Times, the Washington Post, the Atlantic and the Economist regularly (as I do almost daily), ours, while by no means as erudite, are no more tilted toward the right. Orange County is still one of the reliably Democratic counties in Florida (we voted for Obama, Sink and elected an African-American sheriff countywide). The 2010 election results were more about a weak Democratic slate than about any particular power among the GOP in OC. I'm a progressive Democrat and voted for Teresa over Segal because of his connection to developers and regular pro-development votes on the commission, including some absolutely idiotic votes during the election season.

Some respectful clarification: Teresa Jacobs wasn't elected by the teabaggers, Matt Falconer was their candidate

Initially sure, but when it finally came down to the two it was the over-representation of republicans at the polls created essentially by "tea party" activism that won the day. Obviously democrats both locally and nationwide were guilty of running many an awful campaign but I still submit that were it not for that atypical, tea party amplified turnout, that Jacobs would have had a much more difficult time in securing a solid victory.

Teresa's base is the Dr. Phillips Republicans.

Not so sure about that - anymore. That may be her social circle but her political base - in terms of being reelected - dunno. The wingers, in bold fashion, have demonstrated time and again over the last few years that if a GOP candidate doesn't want to be run out of the party then they are going to have to embrace the crazy - at least to some degree - and I don't see Jacobs as being completely immune to that though I don't think that she is a swamp fever victim.

As Pitt Warner says in the OS comments (you can actually learn a lot if you read between the lines there - he's a doctrinaire WP Republican), this will eventually get done because Teresa can't alienate virtually the entire elite class of the county in both parties.

Which is why I said that Jacobs might likely do some public pandering to the 'baggers and then work out a deal quietly and out of public view.

(5) Teresa flat out doesn't like a lot of these people...

I dunno...

One last thought on Slantinel commenters: if you read the comments in the NY Times, the Washington Post, the Atlantic and the Economist regularly (as I do almost daily), ours, while by no means as erudite, are no more tilted toward the right.

Angry people do tend to yell the loudest but my point was more an observation that most of Jacob's support there seemed to have a decidedly, Tell the government to keep their hands of my Medicare flavor to it.

I really feel for Barton but I don't see anything to augur well for the quality of any eventual facility. I hope that someone steps up and drops some serious coin to ensure that the project is built as it should be but when Isozaki's sundial at Disney is the best architectural space in a city of 2 million people you know that a community commitment to or support of great design just doesn't exist. They tore down Rossi's tower for Christ's sake.

If Kahn or Aalto had built in Orlando those sites today would no doubt have a couple of empty condo towers or surface parking lots on them.

Edited by Camillo Sitte