Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

On a related note which ties in nicely, I think, I was walking through Eola Park today and noticed that both the Centennial Fountain and the Sperry "birdbath" Fountain have both been stripped all the way to their bases. I was trying to recall if, during the last major refurb of Eola Park in 1987, they went anywhere this far on the fountains and I don't think they did (that was 24 years ago so don't hold me to that). Buddy promised the Centennial Fountain would be made better than ever (apparently the Sperry is a bonus), and once again he's delivering.

I think that is also a key to what's going on between Teresa and Buddy; Hizzoner has an election coming up, possibly as early as January, and his major strength is that he's delivered on just about everything he's promised since 2003 except DPAC (a new police station for Parramore is the other item, but I'm not sure many folks outside the PBA remember that at the moment). Arguably, DPAC is the item most on the minds of City voters who will actually vote in a small turnout election (since it will likely be tied to the GOP presidential primary, Buddy has to be concerned that the much smaller group of Republicans in the City may turn out in larger numbers than his base, assuming Obama has no primary opposition). My guess is that Phil sees that as his only hope to beat Buddy.

Meanwhile, Teresa has no such timeline and, in fact, probably wins more points with her base for holding out unless Buddy can make the case that the cost will skyrocket if we go past the May deadline (which is all about lots of numbers that don't lend themselves to great sound bites).

I have to say that, in an area known for boring electoral contests, we are seeing more and more barn-burners lately. Perhaps this is the best sign yet of our moving closer to the big leagues.

As noted elsewhere, we are watching a battle play out between what used to be known as the "Downtown Crowd" and the Tourism/Dr Phillips corridor. With Meg Crofton making the decisions on local issues at Disney these days and as the Big Kahuna, the downtowners were in good shape, as Meg, mush more so than Al Weiss before her, is sympathetic to the downtown desires.

What's interesting is that, in a blog today over at OBJ, it seems that Harris Rosen and the I-Drive crowd aren't ready to throw in the towel after all (they've been mostly quiet since the original decisions to do all 3 venues but have never been happy about what they believe is "their" money being used for the good burghers of Orlando).

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2011/04/dyer-jacobs-at-impasse-on-arts-center.html

'Standing firm on the opposite side is Teresa Jacobs, who isn't in the mood to support any request to speed up resort taxes to the project in case those vital tax dollars, which are meant to promote and maintain Orange County’s tourism industry, are needed for other purposes. If Central Florida’s tourism industry ever took a hit, “we need to know we can increase our marketing budget if needed,” she said.'

That statement could easily have come directly from Harris' mouth. Now, of course, the fact that occupancy levels have rebounded nicely and that, with Disney's "Art of Animation" Resort coming online in 2012 moving another significant pot of tourist tax money from rooms in Osceola to Orange County (not to mention the increased $$$$ from all those expensive high rises built for conventioneers during the last few years), doesn't matter to the I-Drive crowd nary a bit. They don't like DPAC, don't want it, and apparently have found, for whatever reason, a champion for the moment in Teresa, who lives in the same part of town with these folks. Stay tuned...

Edited by spenser1058

March's resort taxes rise 16 percent, rank second-highest on record

"Through the first six months of the county's fiscal year, the hotel tax has generated $86.6 million, or 16 percent more than last year at the same point in time. The tax collections have surpassed the county's budget for the first half of the fiscal year by about $3.9 million."

For all intents and purposes, in the tourism district, the recession has ended, and any debates on following through with Orange County's previous agreement to fund DPAC as voted on by the County Commission (including then-Commissioner Teresa Jacobs) have everything to do with politics and very little to do with facts. Of course, this will come as a surprise to no one, but here we have the truth before clear of a great deal of spin.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-hotel-tax-march-20110503,0,6072982.story

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic news. Now I'd like to see the revised renderings that account for all the design changes.

Despite talks of temporarily deferring the glass banquet hall, I'm wondering if the changes in design, if any, will be noticeable. According to the Sentinel: Arts-center boosters are likely to balk at any sizable cuts to the project's design and amenities. "At some point, we have to say, 'This is it,' and we'll fund the difference," Pugh said. "Why build it with low quality? There's no reason to do it.". WFTV reported where additional savings were found: "That savings comes from cutting corners with the type of seats, railings, and doing away with certain materials, like carpet in certain areas and special lighting.".

Hopefully they won't stray too far away from their "Build it now, build it right" motto.

Perhaps the best news as the Orlando City Council approves the new finaning plan for DPAC is the way our local movers and shakers stepped up to the plate to make this happen. Recently, in case after case (Burnham, UCF med school, FAMU law school and now DPAC), when the region needed support beyond government, local leaders stepped up to the plate. This is huge - it's what makes cities able to move to the first tier. Former mayor Bill Frederick was particularly tireless on moving DPAC forward.

Also, a word of praise for Mayor Buddy Dyer. Time after time, on projects that everyone said could not happen, Buddy kept pushing to make them happen and has succeeded in almost every case.

For the life of me, I can't imagine why we'd want to change horses midstream - I'm very disappointed in my local Democratic party for encouraging opposition from within our own ranks.

I agree spenser...Buddy needs to be re-elected. This is a critical point in downtown Orlando's development and the city can't afford to have a guy like Phil Diamond come in and "change the priorities of the city" as he puts it. I don't like the sound of that one bit.

Edited by Pete C

The only reason I'd be somewhat amicable to the idea of Buddy not being the mayor is if he was running for Governor.

We all are proud of the things he's done on the physical investment side, but he's done a great deal in everything from green initatives to crime reduction, notably Parramore.

We can't afford an apathetic electorate like we had during the governors race (Scott won with 23% of total electorate...too many non-voters)

...and speaking of the hotel component, what the heck is going to happen with that cylindrical building on the site? Are they going to demolish it? Last year I read someone was looking to buy it and turn it into a boutique hotel, but I don't see how that is possible given the arts center plans.

Is there a tenant for the hotel component of the project, adjacent to the plaza fronting Orange Ave?

I don't know if a tenant has been lined up but the hotel component is not a part of the PAC's Phase I plans.

I'm very excited that we will finally see the DPAC come to fruition but after looking back at the plans for 'Stage 1' I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed at the same time. Remember, Phase I only includes the Disney Theater and Community Theater while 1/3 of the PAC site will be left empty for future development. It bugs me that the PAC will look unfinished until Phase II is complete...and who knows when that will be.

pac1c.png

pac2.png

pac3.png

...and speaking of the hotel component, what the heck is going to happen with that cylindrical building on the site? Are they going to demolish it? Last year I read someone was looking to buy it and turn it into a boutique hotel, but I don't see how that is possible given the arts center plans.

I understand that the city wants to see another building there, but isn't it already in private hands? I'm sure that the property values have increased, but it seems a bit presumptuous to me. Also, I'd rather see the exising building re-skinned and raised at least ten stories if possible. That corner on Orange is ideal for signage and naming rights. With a cutting edge LED system, the building could really become a marquee property for downtown.

I understand that the city wants to see another building there, but isn't it already in private hands? I'm sure that the property values have increased, but it seems a bit presumptuous to me. Also, I'd rather see the exising building re-skinned and raised at least ten stories if possible. That corner on Orange is ideal for signage and naming rights. With a cutting edge LED system, the building could really become a marquee property for downtown.

The round building sits on city property. It would not look right to keep it at this point. Their master plan has specific architecture in mind.

I'm really hoping (as are the developers) that the 2nd half of the ctr will pick up with construction as the 1st is finishing. Hopefully it will feel somewhat seamless...

I prefer our PAC. The one in Dallas basically looks like City Walk or Downtown Disney and we obviously aren't shooting for that. With all the glass, metal, lighting, water features and greenery, I think DPAC is really going to look beautiful. They will obviously still have plenty of moving and static digital signs since the city just passed the digital sign district act (below), so you won't really be loosing that element of modernism.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplanning/MPB/2010%20MPB%20Agenda%20Minutes%20%26%20Staff%20reports/Oct/LDC2010-00178%20Downtown%20Signage%20Districts.pdf

Edited by Ocityst

I prefer our PAC. The one in Dallas basically looks like City Walk or Downtown Disney and we obviously aren't shooting for that. With all the glass, metal, lighting, water features and greenery, I think DPAC is really going to look beautiful.

Well, "the one in Dallas" is actually the arena where the Dallas Mavericks play and the arena itself was designed to look like an aircraft hangar so we're talking about different uses and architectural styles. The site plan is similar, however, as both designs feature a narrow plaza leading up to the doorstep of a major venue, sandwiched between two 5-ish story structures.