Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

Wow, that model of the DPAC plaza looks great (I almost like it better than the actual DPAC design!).

Does anyone know if the CNL Tower III is still happening? According to Orlando Skyscrapers, it's a proposed 16-story office tower across from CNL I and "to be incorporated into Performing Arts Center Complex." There's a sign on the opposite corner of where it's supposed to go (across Anderson), saying "Class A Office & Retail Now Preleasing CNL Center III." But since you can even see it in Google maps, I guess it's been there for a while now.

cnltower3.png

Not sure if this was already posted, but here are some interesting ideas of what to do with the brise soleil of the cylinder building. Someone held a contest back in 2008, but I'm not sure if that was official or just some ideas.

DPAC's plaza:

49870090.jpg

DPAC plaza's architectural doppleganger, AT&T Plaza in front of American Airlines Center in Dallas, TX:

909387114_53c329be63.jpg

attplaza_nye.jpg

BTW, I just was perusing the HKS Architects portfolio and was [not] surprised to see that they designed the plaza in Dallas as well as ours in Orlando. No wonder they're so similar!

The round building sits on city property. It would not look right to keep it at this point. Their master plan has specific architecture in mind.

I'm really hoping (as are the developers) that the 2nd half of the ctr will pick up with construction as the 1st is finishing. Hopefully it will feel somewhat seamless...

I think the round American Federal building will eventually be demolished. I remember there was a non profit group who wanted to preserve the precast concrete bries-soleil and reuse it for public artwork. They held a contest and came up with some pretty cool ideas.

I think the round American Federal building will eventually be demolished. I remember there was a non profit group who wanted to preserve the precast concrete bries-soleil and reuse it for public artwork. They held a contest and came up with some pretty cool ideas.

The round building will be demolished (unfortunately) and is City owned. The old OUC building was going to coverted into a boutique hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Magnolia Avenue from South St. to Anderson St. and Eastbound South St. from Boone Ave. to Magnolia Ave.

The subject location will be closed beginning Wednesday, June 8th so that the construction for the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts project may begin. South Street will be closed eastbound from Boone Ave. to Magnolia. All the eastbound traffic will now turn right onto Boone to get to Anderson.

I hope this is the start of what will be minor surge in construction projects downtown. If we can get DPAC, the Sleet House Apts, Cambria Suites, and the Orange/Pine building all u/c this year, that would be some nice activity.

Edited by prahaboheme

I hope this is the start of what will be minor surge in construction projects downtown. If we can get DPAC, the Sleet House Apts, Cambria Suites, and the Orange/Pine building all u/c this year, that would be some nice activity.

Even more, I'm confident that we'll begin to see more private investments made in Downtown Orlando once the DPAC and SunRail come online, especially on the hotel development front.

Based only on the model for DPAC and the plaza, I do like our version over the Dallas Arena plaza. I am hoping that it is a bit more Lincoln Rd Mall with lush vegetation, shading and restaurant/retail, which works better in our humid climate.

For instance:

south-beach-lincoln-road.jpg

6.1237235400.lincoln-rd-mall.jpg

02-1111Lincoln-Road-Mall-Raymond-Jungles-Steven-Brooke-Photography.jpg

What is the third picture of? Looks much better than the first 2 pics IMO. DPAC will have some kind of water feature but I think the plans specifically mention "no standing water".

Does anyone know the fate of the Magnolia banquet hall/balcony thing? And will the FIS building remain until Phase 2 or not?

Edited by LDG

What is the third picture of? Looks much better than the first 2 pics IMO. DPAC will have some kind of water feature but I think the plans specifically mention "no standing water".

It's the newly redeveloped far west end of Lincoln Road in South Beach, with the pedestrian mall/landscaping forming a plaza between the newly constructed 1111 Lincoln Road (on the right) and the Regal Cinema building (on the left). I live a few blocks away from it and can attest to the FANTASTIC job the architects did in designing this. Even the standing water is dynamic-- there are catfish in the ponds! Here's another shot of the mall taken from 1111 Lincoln:

1111_Lincoln_Road_Raymond_Jungles_SBP_05.jpg

Magnolia Avenue from South St. to Anderson St. and Eastbound South St. from Boone Ave. to Magnolia Ave.

The subject location will be closed beginning Wednesday, June 8th so that the construction for the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts project may begin. South Street will be closed eastbound from Boone Ave. to Magnolia. All the eastbound traffic will now turn right onto Boone to get to Anderson.

Is the eastbound Boone-Magnolia section of South Street to be closed temporarily or for good? I've tried finding copies of the South Street re-alignment plans but I have not been able to. Does anyone know anything additional about access changes around the DPAC project? The MPB report does not say much about transportation issues (IMO) and I can't seem to find a site plan that really shows what the future access config. will look like.

I was in South Beach last week and have to say, the Lincoln Road Mall is one of the most dynamic, interesting, and well planned pedestrian malls anywhere. It is one of America's great urban spaces, no question. I will go as far to say that it trumps Las Ramblas in Barcelona which is widely considered the great urban pedestrian mall in the world.

I see no reason why Orlando could not plan and emulate such a space downtown. The Urban Trail will be nice, but I think it is a missed opportunity. It is rare that a city can cut a swath directly through it's downtown. Why not capitalize on this prime location and plan a great pedestrian mall with restaurants, retail, etc? Those who hop off SunRail at Church Street or Lynx will literally dump out into the Urban Trail, creating a constant stream of traffic.

It's the newly redeveloped far west end of Lincoln Road in South Beach, with the pedestrian mall/landscaping forming a plaza between the newly constructed 1111 Lincoln Road (on the right) and the Regal Cinema building (on the left). I live a few blocks away from it and can attest to the FANTASTIC job the architects did in designing this. Even the standing water is dynamic-- there are catfish in the ponds! Here's another shot of the mall taken from 1111 Lincoln:

1111_Lincoln_Road_Raymond_Jungles_SBP_05.jpg

Um, just... wow. I read that even the parking garage is a work of art / civic center lol. I'm sure it takes a ton money to build something like this, but it would have been nice to have something like this instead of what was built in over in SODO. Wonder what kind of stores will be in the DPAC plaza.

Is the eastbound Boone-Magnolia section of South Street to be closed temporarily or for good? I've tried finding copies of the South Street re-alignment plans but I have not been able to. Does anyone know anything additional about access changes around the DPAC project? The MPB report does not say much about transportation issues (IMO) and I can't seem to find a site plan that really shows what the future access config. will look like.

My old job did the design for South St. At the time they were intending to permanently shutter eastbound South St. alignment. I know DOT was throwing fits because at the time they were constructing that lane, and we were designing its removal. The company and I parted ways before final design so it could have been put back.

The arts center is spending $483,000 on a landscape architect. This does not pay for the costs of the actual plants, just the plans.

"When you say landscaping, it's all outdoor 'scpaing,' is an actual theater. Our plaza is a theater, so you're dealing not only with what you would know as trees, you're dealing with hard surfaces, soft surfaces, surfaces that are dealing with amplification, power. There's water features on this site."