Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

There is massive boring equipment on the site right now, and several office trailers for the construction crews were dropped on the adjacent lot last week.

I'm trying to get back into my weekly photo update rounds ... Once DPAC really starts rolling you'll see a return to my weekly updates like we had during Amway Center construction.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for discussion purposes

As I was passing downtown today after passing Universal Studios a thought came to me. Since we have the "Mecca" if you will, for Harry Potter fans, why not have a world class broadway show. Of course I do not see it happening with so many movies or what needs to be covered, but if a writer can narrow it down to 1.5 hrs we could have a broadway exclusive to Orlando. Then on the off season it could travel around the nation just as Wicked and other New York exclusives.

Another idea, (when my imagination runs wild) since Disney has its own theatre why wouldn't they produce plays as well, just as The Lion King in New York. Sometimes I get a bit carried away

Edited by XpressEnterprise

Just for discussion purposes

As I was passing downtown today after passing Universal Studios a thought came to me. Since we have the "Mecca" if you will, for Harry Potter fans, why not have a world class broadway show. Of course I do not see it happening with so many movies or what needs to be covered, but if a writer can narrow it down to 1.5 hrs we could have a broadway exclusive to Orlando. Then on the off season it could travel around the nation just as Wicked and other New York exclusives.

Another idea, (when my imagination runs wild) since Disney has its own theatre why wouldn't they produce plays as well, just as The Lion King in New York. Sometimes I get a bit carried away

I can almost guarantee you that Universal already has something like that in mind and will replace the Sinbad show with a live-action Harry Potter show for Wizarding World phase 2. I would imagine that they would have to get another deal done with Rowling to run a show, but it would be a huge draw and soak up a lot of crowds in that area of the park.

Edited by Pete C

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We need to have an aggressive campaign to educate both local residents and politicians on the importance of the bottom part of this round building. I would love to see it preserved and either moved to a local park or integrated into the new building. Imagine it all lit up with lights shining on it, slowly cycling through different colors inside of a large jewel box style glass enclosed lobby. Its solid concrete nature would contrast so well against the airy, glass aspects of the DPAC.

If they refuse to keep it there it could be moved to a new location such as Loch Haven Park. I think it would fit nicely with the bright abstract pieces in the park.

No matter where it ends up what's important is that we preserve this historical aspect of our beautiful city. This poll seems to show that the vast majority of people want this saved, let's hope that the city actually listens. (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/views/os-orlando-round-building-poll,0,386936,post.poll)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I heard, and then saw, that they ran into some old concrete pilings that they have to remove. From the construction cam and my foggy memory it looks like the pilings are in the area that was the large driveway in front of old Fire station #1. Anyone know what those pilings used to support?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With all the tourist development tax money coming in, shouldn't we expect to hear something about Phase 2 soon? I read something about the Citrus Bowl renovations last week on the Sentinel and how that group is expecting to make progress on that project. However, Phase 2 of the DPAC has to be complete before any funds flow to the Citrus Bowl renovation, correct?

• 2 months later...

Is the white building (was part of FUMCO?) staying? I drove down South today and it struck me as looking very nice - I don't know if the roadwork had just cleared or if something else came down but it was very nice looking - if it fits in with the new project of course.