Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

Just for discussion purposes

As I was passing downtown today after passing Universal Studios a thought came to me. Since we have the "Mecca" if you will, for Harry Potter fans, why not have a world class broadway show. Of course I do not see it happening with so many movies or what needs to be covered, but if a writer can narrow it down to 1.5 hrs we could have a broadway exclusive to Orlando. Then on the off season it could travel around the nation just as Wicked and other New York exclusives.

Another idea, (when my imagination runs wild) since Disney has its own theatre why wouldn't they produce plays as well, just as The Lion King in New York. Sometimes I get a bit carried away

I can almost guarantee you that Universal already has something like that in mind and will replace the Sinbad show with a live-action Harry Potter show for Wizarding World phase 2. I would imagine that they would have to get another deal done with Rowling to run a show, but it would be a huge draw and soak up a lot of crowds in that area of the park.

Edited by Pete C
  • 3 weeks later...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Inspired by your comment, I did a little trespassing myself. Amazing the access a high-vis vest and hard hat can get you.   First is The Green Room. Originally a rehearsal hall and event space, t

Just stumbled on these via a Google Image search for Steinmetz Hall:

A couple updated shots of Steinmetz Hall coming out of the ground.    This is the hall it self, the yellow forms being the envelope, the first vertical wall with snow fencing being where

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

We need to have an aggressive campaign to educate both local residents and politicians on the importance of the bottom part of this round building. I would love to see it preserved and either moved to a local park or integrated into the new building. Imagine it all lit up with lights shining on it, slowly cycling through different colors inside of a large jewel box style glass enclosed lobby. Its solid concrete nature would contrast so well against the airy, glass aspects of the DPAC.

If they refuse to keep it there it could be moved to a new location such as Loch Haven Park. I think it would fit nicely with the bright abstract pieces in the park.

No matter where it ends up what's important is that we preserve this historical aspect of our beautiful city. This poll seems to show that the vast majority of people want this saved, let's hope that the city actually listens. (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/views/os-orlando-round-building-poll,0,386936,post.poll)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I heard, and then saw, that they ran into some old concrete pilings that they have to remove. From the construction cam and my foggy memory it looks like the pilings are in the area that was the large driveway in front of old Fire station #1. Anyone know what those pilings used to support?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With all the tourist development tax money coming in, shouldn't we expect to hear something about Phase 2 soon? I read something about the Citrus Bowl renovations last week on the Sentinel and how that group is expecting to make progress on that project. However, Phase 2 of the DPAC has to be complete before any funds flow to the Citrus Bowl renovation, correct?

• 2 months later...

Is the white building (was part of FUMCO?) staying? I drove down South today and it struck me as looking very nice - I don't know if the roadwork had just cleared or if something else came down but it was very nice looking - if it fits in with the new project of course.

• 5 weeks later...

I read this in the Sentinel the other day and it is concerning. What does this mean, that she can effectively delay Phase 2 of the arts center for convention center renovations??

"When leaders approved the $1.1 billion venues plan, they made sure the arts center would be fully funded before any tourist taxes flowed to the stadium. Jacobs said she would lift that bar, but even if that restriction were gone and hotel-tax collections stayed robust, the city cannot currently sell bonds for the Citrus Bowl."

http://articles.orla...s-exhibit-space

Edited by Pete C

Jacobs problem is that she has no vision. What does she want to see happen in Orange County in the next five years? The next 10? 20? How does Orlando fit into the county's future? How about the rest of Central Florida?

She never said during her campaign and, quite frankly, I doubt she knows. Or cares. She campaigned as a conservative bean counter, and touted herself as someone who could reform the "good ol' boy" system. Personally, I think her record in these areas is mixed, at best (shelling out a ton of cash to hire a former Sentinel columnist as a "consultant," and signing off on the Wekiva Parkway [a travesty of transportation and urban planning, in my opinion] being two of my gripes).

Her reluctance to sign off on a domestic partner registry for the county also struck me as having an especially narrow view of the county's future.

As for the arts center and Citrus Bowl, the county will get on board - eventually. But Jacobs will go through her typically MO (releasing sharply worked memos and feasibility studies, hemming and hawing about expenses, public hand wringing over finances, etc. etc.) to at least show that she's the fiscally responsible "leader" some people believe her to be.