Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

It's a beast of a building - and I mean that in a good way. I take Anderson to get home and I am consistently amazed at how just big DPAC actually is. When construction first began, I thought that the lot seemed too small for a performing arts center. I figured there was no way you could fit anything much bigger than a Bob Carr-liked building into the space. Boy, have I been proven wrong. The webcam shots don't do it justice. You have to be on the street to get a feel for its size (and this is just Phase 1). And I love that the roof truss extends over Anderson Street.

Other things I love about DPAC:

1. It's in the heart of downtown. The PAC in Miami is lovely, but it's an island to itself (so is the American Airlines Arena). DPAC is smack dab in the middle of everything. How refreshingly urban!

2. It's being built without a surface parking lot nearby. There's going to be a lot of bellyaching from the usual suspects about the lack of direct parking (despite a number of garages being only a block away), but this was a smart move by the city.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to when Magnolia re-opens. The southern LYMMO expansion will actually travel under the DPAC overhang. Coming from Wadeview Park (SODO area) I am looking forward to being able to catch LYMMO at Orange & Grant and taking it to Magnolia & Anderson to attend something at DPAC. The East/West and 2 northern routes will offer a LYMMO stop on South and Magnolia - just as close. SunRail, of course, isn't too far either.

It's a beast of a building - and I mean that in a good way. I take Anderson to get home and I am consistently amazed at how just big DPAC actually is. When construction first began, I thought that the lot seemed too small for a performing arts center. I figured there was no way you could fit anything much bigger than a Bob Carr-liked building into the space. Boy, have I been proven wrong. The webcam shots don't do it justice. You have to be on the street to get a feel for its size (and this is just Phase 1). And I love that the roof truss extends over Anderson Street.

Other things I love about DPAC:

1. It's in the heart of downtown. The PAC in Miami is lovely, but it's an island to itself (so is the American Airlines Arena). DPAC is smack dab in the middle of everything. How refreshingly urban!

2. It's being built without a surface parking lot nearby. There's going to be a lot of bellyaching from the usual suspects about the lack of direct parking (despite a number of garages being only a block away), but this was a smart move by the city.

What do you mean just Phase 1?

DPAC will be constructed in two phases, according to the official website.

Sadly, the part I am most looking forward to, the hall for the Orlando Phil, is in the second phase. While Buddy, Kathy Ramsberger and Jim Pugh all keep acting as though the second phase is just around the corner, I still wince to think that the most popular project in the eyes of the public and the replacement for the oldest of the three venues got shoved to the back of the bus. Worse, it was to support a homophobic billionaire (who insists he dislikes government while taking millions of dollars from it at the same time) and a stadium with no team. As much as I love Orlando, sometimes even I despair.

To Buddy's credit, he has managed to pull off most of what he has promised since taking office in 2003. My biggest concern now is if the second phase goes to oblivion yet again if Buddy 's focus turns to a 2014 gubernatorial run. Stay tuned....

Sadly, the part I am most looking forward to, the hall for the Orlando Phil, is in the second phase. While Buddy, Kathy Ramsberger and Jim Pugh all keep acting as though the second phase is just around the corner, I still wince to think that the most popular project in the eyes of the public and the replacement for the oldest of the three venues got shoved to the back of the bus. Worse, it was to support a homophobic billionaire (who insists he dislikes government while taking millions of dollars from it at the same time) and a stadium with no team. As much as I love Orlando, sometimes even I despair.

To Buddy's credit, he has managed to pull off most of what he has promised since taking office in 2003. My biggest concern now is if the second phase goes to oblivion yet again if Buddy 's focus turns to a 2014 gubernatorial run. Stay tuned....

Ain't no way Buddy's going to run for guv...not with Charlie "Hey, look, I'm a Democrat Now" Crist gearing up for 2014. Don't even get me started on all that.

Ain't no way Buddy's going to run for guv...not with Charlie "Hey, look, I'm a Democrat Now" Crist gearing up for 2014. Don't even get me started on all that.

You may indeed be correct. Charlie, though, is not beloved by the Democratic base. They're the ones who turn out in primaries (especially in off-year elections) - right now, the press and the early polls are just parroting who they already know. Remember, Bill McBride took out Janet Reno in a primary, even though almost no one but political junkies knew who he was and everyone knew Janet (turned out to be a huge mistake as Bill, like his wife Alex Sink, had no clue about campaigning; in any event, it's questionable if any one could have beaten Jeb! at the time). I do hope you're right, though, as Buddy is probably the best hope to get both venues completed.

Edited by spenser1058

I recently read (sorry, don't have time to dig up the article right now) that the Phase 2 campaign will be launched in the near future (early 2013), so as Phase 1 takes shape and potential donors begin to see what the future will bring, they will also have an opportunity to visualize where their charitable donations will be spent.  I see no reason why Phase 2 will not be built at this point.

Spencer, I agree at Phase 2 is likely the most significant portion of this project in terms of community arts advancement. 

We have to remember, though, that the Disney Theatre will bring in the constant source of revenue.

I recently read (sorry, don't have time to dig up the article right now) that the Phase 2 campaign will be launched in the near future (early 2013), so as Phase 1 takes shape and potential donors begin to see what the future will bring, they will also have an opportunity to visualize where their charitable donations will be spent.  I see no reason why Phase 2 will not be built at this point.

Spencer, I agree at Phase 2 is likely the most significant portion of this project in terms of community arts advancement. 

We have to remember, though, that the Disney Theatre will bring in the constant source of revenue.

^^^^ How is this? Sorry I'm young and some things I just don't understand so I like to ask.

I like the mass of this thing and I make a point to drive, walk, or bicycle by it once per week.  I just don't get the look of the truss on top.  It looks like the old Lynx station that used to be on Central.  Just paint it pink and it's the same thing.  Is that supposed to be a fold out of postcards?  The entire design was supposed to look like a southern style porch, right?  What porch looks anything like that?  Everybody is commenting on how great the girth is, but what about the look and feel?

I just don't see it.   :dunno:

I agree - the trusses scare me in their current form, but I have been a little unclear on how exactly the final product will appear.  The canopy in the original renderings looks quite graceful and elegant,

rendering_magnolia.jpg

rendering_plaza.jpg

but then I was less sure of what it was going to look like with these mock-ups:

design_rendering_2.jpg

design_rendering_3.jpg

But ultimately, the degree to which the trusses are exposed right now I don't think is permanent.  

The OrlandoInformer uploaded a video of the scale model while it was on display. The trusses will be covered up. Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L0W83N0WHKc, it's in pretty high quality too.

And the architectural fly through video shows the same thing.

From the Sentinel: "Ultimately, the web of steel will hold up a cantilevered awning as wide as a city block. It is meant to partially cover an outdoor-festival plaza facing Orange Avenue."

Edited by nite owℓ

I like the mass of this thing and I make a point to drive, walk, or bicycle by it once per week.  I just don't get the look of the truss on top.  It looks like the old Lynx station that used to be on Central.  Just paint it pink and it's the same thing.  Is that supposed to be a fold out of postcards?  The entire design was supposed to look like a southern style porch, right?  What porch looks anything like that?  Everybody is commenting on how great the girth is, but what about the look and feel?

I just don't see it.   :dunno:

Girth. Heh.

Based on the "fly through" video posted by DPAC, it looks like the trusses will be covered in a softer material. I think that, and the amount of glass in the front, will soften the building's bulk. I try to reserve judgement on how something will look at this point in the construction process. Renderings never provide the true scale of a project. This one has a lot of scale, and right now it's all concrete and steel - not too pretty at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou_Bm0Vn_wI

Edited by FLClarkKent

Speaking of that revenue source, I'm not sure how all of this will play out but certainly DPAC and Florida Theatrical can come to an agreement that is in everyone's best interest (and by everyone, the community):

Orlando's arts center could have Broadway tour competition

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-orlando-arts-center-broadway-20121217,0,4718300.story?page=2

Edited by prahaboheme

I thought the education portion was scrap after UCF exits.......

What school is going in there?

I think in exploring all possible revenue streams (you know, that building is going to cost a lot to operate) they're planning on having a magnet/charter school and adult community education, like Patel Conservatory at Tampa's Straz center. If I remember correctly, they may be planning to phase operation of the school after they start presenting events.

I'm looking forward to when Magnolia re-opens. The southern LYMMO expansion will actually travel under the DPAC overhang. Coming from Wadeview Park (SODO area) I am looking forward to being able to catch LYMMO at Orange & Grant and taking it to Magnolia & Anderson to attend something at DPAC. The East/West and 2 northern routes will offer a LYMMO stop on South and Magnolia - just as close. SunRail, of course, isn't too far either.

Magnolia will not reopen. The Stretch between Anderson and South is closed for good to car traffic. 

Last I heard and saw it was closed. Maybe that has been modified to allow the Lymo to pass through the complex. Interesting to note that one of the original proposals was to close Magnolia between Jackson and South,and then South and Anderson. The portions of Magnolia in front of FUMCO and DPAC would have formed a small park.... with a major road splitting it in half!