Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

Nope. Orlando City "Venues" gives up control of the Carr next season. DPAC takes over operations using the Carr as a "do-fer" for Phase II. Depending on when the Disney Theater is able to host the scheduled Broadway shows (they say what? Nov. 6th?) the Carr will still host the Broadway dates until the new theater can. What does this mean for local arts? [Organ sting]. 

The (Skittles flavor) and (mythical beast) scenario says Phase II will be open for the 2017 season. At that time Ulster gets to decide if tearing down a working 2400 seat theater renovated last in 1996 to present Phantom of the Opera in order to build a parking garage is the most creative use idea or not. This from a very interesting but under-reported change in the City agreement covering the Creative Village. Smart money says 2017 is a bit shy of the mark. Whether any of Creative Village is out of the ground by then appears open to discussion as well. Bu-dum-pum.

Personally, I say any 'real' city worth it's salt should be able to support the Carr and the finished DPAC, programming-wise. The only question is if we get there by 2020 or so. (That being the date of my optimist friends for the redundancy of Dead Bob's coming into question.)

Given the 50+ million people who visit Orlando precisely to be entertained by noisy, colorful spectacles, it's always amazed me that no one is bringing the big productions from Broadway and Shaftesbury to Orlandotown for longer engagements.  They're doing it with increasing frequency to Vegas; perhaps Bob Carr could be used for mounting massive, expensive engagements that could become attractions on to themselves?  Someone call Cameron Mackintosh!

• Like 2

Its not as if the current Bob Carr schedule is going to be spread between the Carr and the DPAC. I believe there will be as much activity at the DPAC as there is at the Carr. Possibly more audience days. Part of the model is more Broadway days per year than now, so instead of some shows doing a week, they'll do two assuming they think they have an audience. Jersey Boys could probably sit down for a month, and Book of Mormon might be able to do two. The most expensive week for a touring show is the week it loads in, second most is when it loads out, and its really expensive when that is the same week, so producers have an incentive to stay put. And the DPAC folks know a dark theater means no revenue, they'll be filling up all possible dates with concerts and comics. There is all sorts of negotiating that goes on so that the local arts can get in edge-wise. The ballet lost out the year Lion King sat during the OB's usual Nutcracker dates and they scrambled to find a venue. If you look at the Orlando Venues calendar and realize those weeks where there are Arena events when there are broadway shows, it'll be like the crush of humanity it was when the O-rena was next to the Carr. Except it'll be spread over downtown rather than spread over the huge surface lots of yesteryear. True it won't be the mega-insanity of a Broadway show, a Magic game, a pre-season City soccer game, and a OPO concert when Phase II opens up, but that OPO concert will be a train stop away for a few years. 45,000 attendees. I think there is reason to be a tad bit excited.

Won't the OPO and Ballet still be at the Bob Carr until phase 2 is finished?  I guess that's what I meant.  I do believe central florida can support longer runs for touring shows...I wouldn't worry about the sound of a storm - the building is hugging an expressway, if they can keep that noise out they can keep out the rain.  Personally, I really like how it is looking now that it's glassed up.  Just wish the whole thing was getting completed (I'll believe in Phase 2 when I see ground moving)

Yes Universe_Explorer,  OB and OPO at Carr for the foreseeable future. I thought the main thrust though was about foot-traffic through the week.

I agree jliv. We have that Cirque tent. I would think if they did it, though, it would be a separate theater, or theaters on their property. Of course a one day park ticket is less expensive than a decent seat in either a West End or Broadway show.

Yes Universe_Explorer,  OB and OPO at Carr for the foreseeable future. I thought the main thrust though was about foot-traffic through the week.

I agree jliv. We have that Cirque tent. I would think if they did it, though, it would be a separate theater, or theaters on their property. Of course a one day park ticket is less expensive than a decent seat in either a West End or Broadway show.

I'm not talking about Henrik Ibsen or David Mamet, but maybe another installation of "Wicked" or "Les Miserables".  My suspicions are the families who spend thousands of dollars on their vacations in Florida would be attracted to shows like these, as they are in New York or London.

^^ But we'd more likely get Disney Theatrical, if anyone at all other than long sit-downs of touring shows ala Toronto, San Fran, etc. (Too costly to mount a show just for here.) In New York and London its not just the show but who's in the cast and the orchestra size with scenery built to stay, not to get loaded on trucks, and feel the excitement of the most amazing theater districts in the world. Best we could get I would think is an install of Beauty and the Beast or such-like while it is in hiatus from the road or a defunct 2nd National tour of something.

Edited by Boomer136

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

City OK’s parking plan for Dr. Phillips Arts Center, despite drawbacks

ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35 ORLANDO) -The City of Orlando says there will be plenty of parking for the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, despite the fact that there will be no spaces or garage added.

The plan presented to city council calls for the CNL garage behind City Hall to be the primary parking spot for art center patrons. It's about a 600-foot walk from there to the front door. That's about the length of two football fields.

Arts Center Board Member Bob Snow says the 1,100 spaces they are counting on for the venue will work, even when there are other events like Magic games in Downtown Orlando.

"You can be full at the Amway," Snow said. "You can be full at any of the arenas here, and there will still be room to park. It's going to work."

Other private garages are also expected to be in heavy use for events, and the center, itself, will also park about 350 cars using a valet service at the front door, costing between $20 and $25.

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer now says they have to get that message out before the November opening.

"We're going to do everything we can to make it very convenient for people to park, and to make sure they understand how and where to park," Dyer said.

The city is planning to use larger golf carts to transport people the people that do not want to walk the 600-feet distance.

No word yet on how much that service will cost, but the CNL garage will have a rate of $10 for art center events.

One other thing the city is considering is how much foot traffic will be in and around busy Orange Avenue for events.

The city is considering shutting down Orange Avenue at the art center to vehicle traffic on the weekends when the traffic through that area is not as heavy.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/25123259/city-oks-parking-plan-for-dr-phillips-art-center-despite-drawbacks#ixzz2xhEgeMch

Dr. Phillips Center unveils parking, people-moving plan for arts patrons

March 26, 2014{sodEmoji.|}By Mark Schlueb, Orlando Sentinel

Executives at Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts are releasing details about how patrons will visit the new venue, hoping to ease concerns about its lack of new parking.

The $514 million arts center won't include any additional parking when it opens in November, but administrators insist there will be plenty of spaces nearby — and they have plans to make the walk entertaining, with street performers posted along the route.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-03-26/news/os-arts-center-parking-orlando-20140326_1_arts-center-performing-arts-new-arts

Announced on WFTV news tonight, new renderings to be released tomorrow 4/2, for the CNL Arts Center (?) also.

Golf cart idea seems a bit of a boondoggle, more for those who don't want to walk rather than can't. Where is the space for wheel-chairs, walkers etc? They are going to have to look at having a handicap lot on the site.

Meanwhile, I see a new revenue stream for FUMCO. The main reason why the think it will be so car heavy is that there won't be any public transport options when the shows let out. If they want the public to think like NY, they should too and keep the buses running later, at least Lymmo. Not 24hr yet, but at least until 2300.

Edited by Boomer136

Golf cart idea seems a bit of a boondoggle, more for those who don't want to walk rather than can't. Where is the space for wheel-chairs, walkers etc? They are going to have to look at having a handicap lot on the site.

Meanwhile, I see a new revenue stream for FUMCO. The main reason why the think it will be so car heavy is that there won't be any public transport options when the shows let out. If they want the public to think like NY, they should too and keep the buses running later, at least Lymmo. Not 24hr yet, but at least until 2300.

What I found somewhat disturbing is the line "The city is considering shutting down Orange Avenue at the art center to vehicle traffic on the weekends when the traffic through that area is not as heavy."

Whaaa....?  :o  :huh: 

How are drivers going south out of downtown supposed to get past there? Detour over to Boone?

PITA.

^^ True. plus its also saying all of you Tuesday - Friday night seat subscribers, you are on your own! Elevated People Mover. Continued elevated walkway, add installed pedestrian belts, whatever their true name is.... There are other choices.

and the arts plaza I don't get. I thought there is supposed to be space for a decent outdoor concert/event. But with those lines of "Florida Palms" separating the grassy sections, they destroy sight lines. So only limited attendance events now is the plan, if at all?

Edited by Boomer136

What I found somewhat disturbing is the line "The city is considering shutting down Orange Avenue at the art center to vehicle traffic on the weekends when the traffic through that area is not as heavy."

On Saturdays (and Fridays?), certain portions of Orange Ave are already blocked off.  I don't think adding another block between South and Anderson would add that much confusion. 

Personally, I think they could get away with some boldly painted or even raised crosswalks at South & Orange, like they did in Wynwood.

Been talking with lots of people about this over the past week. First I put together a pretty comprehensive overview of the parking situation for the Dr. Phillips Center. This is the same information that everyone had to write their stories....it's interesting to look at what everyone focused on :)

The TV stations are making this into a bigger deal then I really think it is. The plan is to use the City Commons Parking Garage. I parked there for the CNL Arts Plaza preview and made the "walk" through the building. The longest part of the walk would be crossing the bridge in the parking lot to CNL tower or crossing Orange Ave (and through the arts plaza). We are lucky to have so much parking available and be able to walk in an AC building to get to the center. 

The way I think it will end up working is there will be signs in the garage pointing people to cross via the CNL building however if you end up going to the bottom of the garage there will be O-Cartz or pedicabs probably too. I don't think of those as a primary way but also those might be best for people who choose to self park for handicap.

For people with a valid Handicap tag...it would be silly for them to self park in the garage. It's the same price for them to valet. So valet. But it's going to be difficult to get that message out. Well difficult because the DPC team doesn't share much and just points you to their website which has very little information.

Crossing at Orange Ave. The City is working on some plans with the State (it's a state road) to improve the pedestrian crossings at Orange Ave. The corner of Orange and Anderson will be the primary crossing for people coming out of the CNL building. This crossing will get some "enhanced" features.

There is also conversations about putting bollards in the middle of Orange Ave to prevent pedestrians from crossing at mid-block.

From what I hear, yes they will close Orange Ave for major events. But that doesn't mean it will be closed every weekend for shows. My understanding is that you might close if you did a large free concert on the Plaza. The quote from the event from Mayor Dyer was "We've begun to envision a redesign of the city hall plaza and closing orange Ave for major events."

• Like 1

In other news, seems Judy Joseph, the heretofore VP of programming is leaving for other ventures. She was in the gig since November 2012.

Boomer, is there a back story here? We seem to have more of a revolving door lately with several of the arts groups. Coincidence, better reporting or is something else going on?