Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

No inside info on this, I don't live in such rarefied circles. It does break a small pattern with her. She did 10 years as Director of Programming with the Broward CPAC and jumped to the Straz CPAC for another 10 year stint as their VP of Programming. The article says she is leaving the state to pursue, as she calls it, interesting things.

It was pointed out that Ed Kasses and Lawrence Wilker are still involved in DPAC programming, but those guys are out-of-staters who do program consulting with a number of theaters while being principles in two companies who produce shows/concerts. So of course consulting what to program when one is also a purveyor of things to program puts one in a potentially lucrative position. It will be interesting to play match-up when the rest of DPAC's season is announced as to how many entertainments come out of the TheatreDreams or Princeton Entertainment stables. Could the Pugh host a production of Shear Madness?

Edited by Boomer136

On Saturdays (and Fridays?), certain portions of Orange Ave are already blocked off.  I don't think adding another block between South and Anderson would add that much confusion. 

Personally, I think they could get away with some boldly painted or even raised crosswalks at South & Orange, like they did in Wynwood.

This is the reason I left downtown.  Downtown is so small there is only one street going north and one going south, you just can't close one of them and not cause a detonation of trouble. If you get caught late at work or driving home from family or the airport on a weekend you are pretty much screwed.  If you make a single wrong turn trying to get to any downtown building you can kiss up to an hour goodbye - and yes EVENTUALLY you learn the one single route that will get you home.  

But, since the situation is completely unworkable the way it is now, adding another block is truthfully not going to make anything worse.  Actually, making people park on that side of downtown is doing them a favor because they can easily hop onto I-4 and go to wherever it is they are coming from while walking through the mess that downtown is at night.

• 1 month later...

RedStar25 I'm not convinced. Buildings respond to the communities in which they are built and as we have seen in art museums around the world, a beautiful buildings does not make a respected museum if the collection is tepid. Let's hope that the equality of the entertainment is equivalent to the ambitions of the building/community.

The good news is, Orlando has always been the "little engine that could" when it comes to arts and the community.  The ambitions of the community have far exceeded the infrastructure in place to host and promote the many great local acts / events.  The use the analogy, I do not think Orlando will be filling a state-of-the art museum with a tepid collection.

• Like 1

Agreed castovx. We'll have an expanded version of the Broadway series that we have always had, and I think four ballets by our world respected OB, plus concerts etc. of the sort that now play the Carr. Many different audiences with small overlap, so I think each audience sub-group will see an increased selection of their favorite type of show. And I imagine the DPAC folks will market their offerings better than the Venues do. So sad to see 300 people in a 2200 seat hall.

It will be interesting how the 300 seater will be programmed, the one venue that does scream local production, along with the Carr of course. But a showcase space that doesn't exist in the market now.

Look at next December, kicks off with the Phantom of the Opera re-mount, the OB Nutcrackers through until Book of Mormon brings us into the new year. Not too shabby. Just hoping Phase II happens.

Edited by Boomer136
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The local news reported this weekend that phase 2 is set to begin construction in early 2015. I hadn't heard that officially before. It was listed on the banner across the screen as the headline while they did a tour of the current construction progress.

Edited by Pete C
  • Like 1

The local news reported this weekend that phase 2 is set to begin construction in early 2015. I hadn't heard that officially before. It was listed on the banner across the screen as the headline while they did a tour of the current construction progress.

OBJ also stated a completion date of 2018 is expected, however, groundbreaking is unclear.

• 1 month later...

I have to say that this building looks a lot worse than I expected it to. I actually can't believe that it's supposed to be a performing arts center and not an airport terminal. It might end up looking decent when it's all lit up at night but during daylight hours it looks like a horror show-- an asymmetrical one, at that.

It does look like a transportation terminal, doesn't it? 

I'll wait for the final product (phase 2 included) before I judge it though. Landscaping/streetscaping, lighting, remaining facade work, etc. will make a huge difference.

Right now it's just an absurdly large half-built building in the middle of a dirt lot.

Redstar, this is an urban development forum.  No one is criticizing your photo.  If someone doesn't like the design of the performing arts center, where else would you suggest they voice an opinion if not here?  No one is suggesting you agree with all opinions voiced (for the record, I actually think this is turning out better than expected).

Let's not discourage discussion and presenting opposing viewpoints.

Edited by prahaboheme

Well I voiced my opinion and apparently it's not accepted. Cest la vie.... but I do believe this ties into an earlier discussion on the constant nagging and nay-saying on here. To me it looks like a building under construction and I'll wait to see the finished product. Also, I have never seen an airport or bus terminal that looked like that.

Airport

Orlando_International_Airport_1_WP-449x2laguardia-airport.jpg

Bus Terminal 

nachttotale.jpg

• Like 1

It's sort of the apex of the Baker Barrios look, even if it's not one of theirs. I've never liked our 1990's and beyond Lego Look architecture and probably never will. What saves it for me is moving it into the core and the fact we'll finally (if we can keep Buddy from moving to the next shiny object) bring our performing arts venue kicking and screaming into this millennia. 80 years from now, after we build the Magic 3 or 4 more arenas, maybe we can think about something attractive.

As for posting the pic, Red Star, I'm glad you did that. It's the best way to keep up with the changes!

Edited by spenser1058