Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

My remarks above were neutral. The comparison to a transportation hub is completely legitimate. Big glass windows with large metal overhangs are really common architectural choices for transportation hubs.

It's pretty disingenuous to say something with a big glass facade and huge metal awning doesn't at least resemble some type of transportation hub (especially airports.)

For what it's worth I have universally positive views of DPAC because it has been so long in the making and it will make a huge impact on downtown. 

30 seconds of Google: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=airport+terminal+front&oq=airport+terminal+front

I think the private development parcels that bookend the plaza are going to do a lot to make this entire complex a more cohesive design.  I find it hard to conceptualize the final outcome without even a rendering for these buildings -- for instance, what materials will be used? will it be office, hotel, residential, etc? what will be their architectural style.

I've always envisioned a W / Westin (or similar brand) for the north parcel -- a building with setbacks and roof decks / gardens that look out onto the plaza.

I thought they had a "site plan" where they penciled in a hotel at that northern parcel back when they designed this thing.  Nevertheless, if Amway builds a hotel and RIDA does as well, this probably won't happen- unless they increase downtown convention space.

Dirt is moving for the plaza now and the covering is off most of the fence around the site.  Now that I see what is looks like from different angles, I think I'll really like it if/when phase 2 is done.  The asymmetry bothers me right now - but the overall asthetic does not.  The lighting may do wonders for it as well. 

I'm having a hard time believing phase 2 will ever happen, let alone the development of the surrounding parcels.  At this point I'm resigned to the building as is with a nice park/plaza space that works well with city hall

Dirt is moving for the plaza now and the covering is off most of the fence around the site.  Now that I see what is looks like from different angles, I think I'll really like it if/when phase 2 is done.  The asymmetry bothers me right now - but the overall asthetic does not.  The lighting may do wonders for it as well. 

I'm having a hard time believing phase 2 will ever happen, let alone the development of the surrounding parcels.  At this point I'm resigned to the building as is with a nice park/plaza space that works well with city hall

If the Orlando Eye can happen (when proposed) and Sunrail can happen, and AAF can happen, then this WILL happen.  that's how I put it in perspective.

I think they'll try to get at least one Broadway series season under it's belt before they begin Phase II. 

The City approved the 3 year managing agreement for the Bob Carr Theater. The agreement already allows for two one year extensions. Pretty good deal for the DPAC.

Included in the exhibits looks like the City wants to extend Livingston and Terry into the old Amway site and Orange parking lot, but leaving the old armory site untouched.

• 2 weeks later...

The tiles will be exposed, according to the rendering:

PAC_walt_disney_theater_view.jpg

I'm normally not a "reserve judgment until its finished" kind of person, but in this instance I say it is necessary.  The blue hues will soften the entire look, and a theater is never viewed in such harsh lighting as we see in the construction picture.  The gold accents should actually gleam off the balconies if the lighting lives up to the rendering.

Edited by prahaboheme

The target render looks nice...I was looking for a nice high res shot of that, but couldn't find it. Thanks! I see how it is supposed to fit together. Have to wait and see how it looks with the proper lighting and everything. Under the bright lights it looks like a castle wall...especially with the unfinished edges.