Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

I like the tile. Also remember you're viewing this from your seats, not high up and its likely the top of it will be blocked by other stuff (whether decorations, lighting, etc), so the effect will be dampened. The light strip of wood being on the outside of the dark strip actually bothers me more, I feel like it should have been reversed (which looks like how it is in the rendering).

I like the tile. Also remember you're viewing this from your seats, not high up and its likely the top of it will be blocked by other stuff (whether decorations, lighting, etc), so the effect will be dampened. The light strip of wood being on the outside of the dark strip actually bothers me more, I feel like it should have been reversed (which looks like how it is in the rendering).

I think what you're seeing in the rendering is just an artists depiction in which they were showing light from the stage reflecting off of it. I could be wrong, but that's the way it seems to me.

What I don't get, is why they put that thin strip of tiles across the top of the stage opening. It seems to me that they would have started putting whole tile pieces across the top of the opening & worked their way up. Then when they got to the top of the wall, cut the tiles to whatever height was necessary, then worked their way down to the floor on either side.

That narrow strip looks cheesy. Looks like they started at the ceiling, worked down until they got to the top of the opening, then had to cut the tiles to fit.

dpactile.jpg

Meh. Whatever. I can't see it from my living room so, whatever.

Edited by JFW657

I think what you're seeing in the rendering is just an artists depiction in which they were showing light from the stage reflecting off of it. I could be wrong, but that's the way it seems to me.

What I don't get, is why they put that thin strip of tiles across the top of the stage opening. It seems to me that they would have started putting whole tile pieces across the top of the opening & worked their way up. Then when they got to the top of the wall, cut the tiles to whatever height was necessary, then worked their way down to the floor on either side.

That narrow strip looks cheesy. Looks like they started at the ceiling, worked down until they got to the top of the opening, then had to cut the tiles to fit.

dpactile.jpg

Meh. Whatever. I can't see it from my living room so, whatever.

Wow, no kidding. Isn't that like tiling 101?

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't think they should build that dumb concession stand out front on Orange. It is going to be an eyesore to the scope of the plaza when driving by, and even when an event is taking place. It's smack in the middle and underutilized. It ruins the plaza sight lines. I'm kinda frustrated that they are doing this. What a waste of symmetry.

Thanks to the missus I'll be checking this joint out firsthand in a short while.  I apparently will be attending Phantom of the Opera and apparently will be enjoying it immensely.  This is not the first time in our years together that I have attended said play.  Although, I've yet to enjoy it a little, much less immensely. 

On an unrelated note, I also apparently have some football tickets coming my way.  Even though they are apparently unrelated, this seems to have really increased my strong desire to attend Phantom.

Thanks to the missus I'll be checking this joint out firsthand in a short while.  I apparently will be attending Phantom of the Opera and apparently will be enjoying it immensely.  This is not the first time in our years together that I have attended said play.  Although, I've yet to enjoy it a little, much less immensely. 

On an unrelated note, I also apparently have some football tickets coming my way.  Even though they are apparently unrelated, this seems to have really increased my strong desire to attend Phantom.

I will be attending The Phantom of the Opera, and then The Book of Mormon. Really looking forward to it.

FYI tickets for Phantom go on sale 9/26, and Book of Mormon on 10/18, or you can buy a season package now which includes 6 of the shows, with the option to add 2 more for additional cost.

Phantom: http://www.drphillipscenter.org/shows-and-events/event-detail.stml?portalProcess_dd_0_1=showPublicEvent&calendar_entry_id=28

Book of Mormon: http://www.drphillipscenter.org/shows-and-events/event-detail.stml?portalProcess_dd_0_1=showPublicEvent&calendar_entry_id=25

Season Package: http://www.drphillipscenter.org/shows-and-events/Shows-Events/Broadway/20114-fairwinds-orlando-broadway-series-2014-2015.stml

• 3 weeks later...

The design for CNL Plaza is something like plazas and parks you might see in Europe, with an active colonnade that opens up into communal space.  If the private parcels are well executed with this in mind, we might get a really interactive space, a place of interest.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

Exciting week coming up. The Center takes over operations of the Bob Carr on Wednesday, also the contract with IATSE (the stagehand union) is up for ratification by the membership Wednesday night, though folks have already been working under it for a few weeks.

What is in a name: I learned calling the organization DPAC, as many do, is something the Phillips folks wish would stop. It is wrong anyway. I think everyone talked about the new Performing Arts Center that was to replace our current Performing Arts Center (in name only, really) that very little attention was paid to the actual name being Center for the Performing Arts. So the nickname Dee-Pack would have to be changed to a not so nice sounding one. There is an official short hand moniker they wish used but I haven't seen the memo, but I gather Phillips Center is ok, just don't confuse it with the Curtis M. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts in Gainesville.

Now, our Broadway "B" town has an "A" level road house and multiple proscenium stages with fly systems of more than 2400 seats or at least will once the punchlists have been cleared,  We'll get to see what having a real programming section can do (the Venues folks didn't do so well) and see what kind of audiences we can generate. We get a taste of this on November 29th when the Orlando Phil is presenting their annual "Home for the Holidays" concert at the Carr while "Clare and the Chocolate Nutcracker" is playing at the Disney. A clearer choice is presented on December 6th. While "Phantom" is doing matinee and evening performances at the Disney, the Carr is hosting two showings of "Yo Gabba Dabba".  A great example of events for two different audience demographics which is why the whole "get rid of the Carr now we have the Center" or "can't have two stages competing against each other" talk is misguided. True, some of the parents taking the kids to see "Yo Gabba Dabba" are probably cross-overs, but they have other opportunities to see Phantom and so can do both.

Now while the Carr is a do-fer the 1700 seat multi-form, the Center really has no geographic center, though I suspect when people say they are going to the Phillips Center they will really mean the Disney Theater which is the "big house", possibly the Pugh Theater. And yes they are going with the "er" spelling. The Bob Carr Theater has been referenced, but as of yet no signage has been replaced.

But like I said, exciting.

• Like 2