Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

I just wish they'd decide on something at people will want to remember and stick with it.  Which is exactly why DPAC* doesn't go away as easily as they apparently want it to.

I have no desire to say "I'm going to the Disney Theater at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts" on a regular basis.

* I always wondered why it was DPAC when that didn't actually spell what the name was.  I just assumed that DPAC was to DPCPA like Brett FAR-VUH was to Brett Favre.  Seriously?  FAR-VUH out of F-a-v-r-e?

I doubt they really need the commercial buildings to support the center. It doesnt seem like they are in a hurry to sell those development rights or build anything there. If they are neccasery, something would be there by now. And this should be a good time to build something there while a lot is going on in downtown in term of short buildings and office space.

They also said that they need creative village to be build to support amway center. We can see that nothing is built still.

After all these years, we learn that nothing in this town move fast. Not good at multitasking...

I doubt they really need the commercial buildings to support the center. It doesnt seem like they are in a hurry to sell those development rights or build anything there. If they are neccasery, something would be there by now. And this should be a good time to build something there while a lot is going on in downtown in term of short buildings and office space.

They also said that they need creative village to be build to support amway center. We can see that nothing is built still.

After all these years, we learn that nothing in this town move fast. Not good at multitasking...

I think they really need the cash (at least from what I remember). This will be heavily subsidized by the City (or the CRA) so anything to reduce that burden will be helpful. 

But that being said, if they can figure out the operating costs w/o a subsidy and selling off of the land, I say leave it all open. 

Edited by jack

I honestly think those are some of the worst pictures I've seen of it... they make it look much smaller then it is and the angles do not show any of the buildings features very well. But it seems its just that, terrible pictures.

Let me add I think the round building was a very good looking building and I wish the entire thing would have been saved... and I find I like the look of DPAC a lot less when the round building is in the picture... its overwhelming. I'm not sure why they were so into getting rid of that building.

Edited by aent
  • Like 2

I have always found that round building to be really unpleasant to see. It probably could have been saved. Amusingly, the part I hated the most is the only part of it that's getting preserved!

I think DPAC (don't tell me what to do ...  ;) ) looks pretty bad in some of those pictures. The asymmetry is pretty bad. 

I've been meaning to go on a photo run. Hopefully I can do that sometime this weekend and see if I can get some more flattering pictures of the thing.

• Like 4

I have always found that round building to be really unpleasant to see. It probably could have been saved. Amusingly, the part I hated the most is the only part of it that's getting preserved!

LOL, I was going to comment the same thing!

Edited by Pete C
  • Like 1

The round building as a whole is rather unpleasant due to the awkward glass addition years after the original 2-story section that included the brise soleil panels.  It doesn't help matters that the exterior landscaping, pavers, and lighting was left literally unchanged and in a state of decay for nearly 3 decades. 

If the later addition were removed and the original building retrofitted to additional arts space (a contemporary arts museum, or instance?), we may have ended up with a very unique space right there. 

• Like 1