Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

One thing I noticed via Google Maps Street View, is that going West bound on the 408 (East West Expressway to us old timers) the view is downright bad looking. 

That's funny, I always liked the back and sides better than the front.  Dare I use the words "sleek" and "minimalist"?  From the street level there are some more buildings, walls, and landscaping that make the back look better than the Street View photo.

Yeah tell that to the people who installed a massive video board on the side of the Amway Center. Anyone know if anyone has blamed that for causing any wrecks?

I disagree. Amway is static, unlike WESH's. Theirs is obnoxious. How do they get to add multiple seconds of movement, tie adjusting, multiple smiles, logo fly ins, etc. Wasn't that a stipulation to the Amway board? I would like to see the accident reports to the areas respectively. I'm betting on WESH.

Done or not, I don't think the backside of that place is going to change any.

Those big, windowless walls just don't look good sticking out like that for everyone to see.

Had the building backed up to another building that was behind it so that it was completely hidden from view, it wouldn't matter.

But it doesn't do that, though they designed it as if it did.

They designed it as if it's appearance didn't matter because nobody would see it.

Maybe they'll paint a giant mural on it.

Sure needs one.

It was designed to back up to another building - that back parcel of land has always been slated for commercial development.  

Personally, I'm glad there wasn't any money wasted on the aesthetics of the back of the building when the plan is for it to eventually be hidden anyway.  The DPAC folks have plenty of more important things to spend money on - namely, the acoustic hall.

That is IF the building you're talking about ever gets built.

Or, gets built within the next 20 years.

This project has had funding issues from the start. So far we've got a lop-sided looking 2/3 of the main building & no guarantee that we'll get the other 1/3 in the immediate future.

Forgive me if I'm just slightly skeptical & a bit less than ecstatic about the exposed warehouse loading dock look of the back side of the place.

• Like 1

That is IF the building you're talking about ever gets built.

Or, gets built within the next 20 years.

This project has had funding issues from the start. So far we've got a lop-sided looking 2/3 of the main building & no guarantee that we'll get the other 1/3 in the immediate future.

Forgive me if I'm just slightly skeptical & a bit less than ecstatic about the exposed warehouse loading dock look of the back side of the place.

The back didn't bother me much, but it bothers me far less knowing that the parcel on Robinson is slated for commercial development. My assumption would be that those parcels are developed sooner rather than later, as they will provide the facility with a dedicated source of income (in addition to ticket sales, rentals, etc.).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I know that my 2-cents won't change any minds, but I really like the design.

From a planning perspective, it's an aggressively bold design. Built to the street (and over one street for could measure) with nary a surface parking lot to be found. That's pretty ballsy when you think about it. Especially for a new sunbelt city like Orlando. Just look at performing arts centers in other cities. Miami, for instance, has a lovely facility surrounded by a sea of asphalt. Ours is surrounded by downtown.

I also like the use of the glass. You can see inside the building from nearly ever angle. When a performance is happening, drivers and passerbys will be able to take note. It makes the arts more alive, more welcoming and part of the city, rather than being confined and stuffed away inside a jewelbox of a facility like the Disney theater in LA (beautiful, but not inviting).

I've also been surprised at how dramatically the overhang changes with various lighting. It becomes much more sculptural at night.

What's exciting is that this is the first phase of several (the other performance hall and then the commercial buildings around the property. It will truly change the dynamic of downtown.

• Like 4

Good idea. Sometimes I forget about FL's citrus history since it's rare to see an orange tree around here anymore. In College Park, we were surrounded by orange trees all over the neighborhood, but the city constantly chipped away at what was left to cut down on the spread of citrus canker. This was years ago. Not sure if it still happens but I doubt the orange trees along Orange ave would stand a chance.

• Like 1

Done or not, I don't think the backside of that place is going to change any.

Those big, windowless walls just don't look good sticking out like that for everyone to see.

Had the building backed up to another building that was behind it so that it was completely hidden from view, it wouldn't matter.

But it doesn't do that, though they designed it as if it did.

They designed it as if it's appearance didn't matter because nobody would see it.

Maybe they'll paint a giant mural on it.

Sure needs one.

Yes because so many theaters have windows at the back of the staging area. 

Yes because so many theaters have windows at the back of the staging area. 

Been backstage in a lot of theaters, have we?  <_<

Besides, those upper level back walls are not directly behind the stage anyway.

And, I'm not suggesting they necessarily should've put windows there per se. But at least some kind of exterior details that would have been something other than flat, blank walls.

I'll be surprised if five years from now there's a commercial building behind the place. I think we're going to be looking at the backside of that place for a long time.

It was designed to back up to another building - that back parcel of land has always been slated for commercial development.  

Personally, I'm glad there wasn't any money wasted on the aesthetics of the back of the building when the plan is for it to eventually be hidden anyway.  The DPAC folks have plenty of more important things to spend money on - namely, the acoustic hall.  

dpac%20site%20map.png

the problem with the future land use for "B" pictured above, right now, you have semi's backing up into the dpac for loading and unloading right where "B" would otherwise go.  "B" is to the dpac as those hotel parcels are to the Orlando Eye along Universal Blvd.

The only way "B" gets developed now is if it is an air rights-type of thing where the whole thing is up on stilts so as not to hinder the loading zone below.

I'm not sure if the Sentinel got all the details right because if you go to Barton Myers' website, DPCPA (or whatever acronym the Arts Police have approved this week) is listed with this in the description: "BMA is working with local partners HKS Architects, Inc. and Baker Barrios Architects, Inc." 

Maybe he or the firm eschewed direct participation as the architect during the interregnum when it was up in the air if it was going to get built (FUMCO also went ahead and built the building they later got paid to tear down during that time, iirc).

http://www.bartonmyers.com/Selected-Projects.html

The Slantinel won't let anyone read that article if they're not signed up for a paid account.

Maybe you can copy/paste it.

Just a heads up, copying and pasting paywalled article content is against the rules at UP. 

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules