Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

Now that the article is in the paper, it should be easier to gain access to it, but if needed I'll happily summarize. 

The quote that gives me the greatest concern is:

• "Whatever money is not available from the existing budget will come out of funds for the center's third performance hall, which isn't likely to be finished before 2018 at the earliest. That means the Dr. Phillips Center would have to raise additional money to cover the difference."

Using "the Google" I found this article that brought up a number of the challenges that have been going on. I don't blame Barton Meyers washing their hands of it. It's a wonder it has gotten this far, it seems.

Just a heads up, copying and pasting paywalled article content is against the rules at UP. 

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

OMG!!!!  :o

What was I thinking????????  :dunno:

I am guilty of... of..... suborning copyright infringement!!!!!!  :shok:

Sorry 'bout that....  :D

I throw myself upon the mercy of the court.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Changing the topic.... It's early and I really don't want to go to job number two today. 

When are we "arts patrons" going to march with pitch forks and torches on city hall and the county building? We were promised DPAC would be completed before the citrus bowl saw the light of day.... THREE STADIUMS LATER..... I'm sorry... I'm a bit pissed.

And another thing... This place better have a world class pipe-organ. The Ballet used an oh so "authentic" recording of one this weekend. It was pathetic.  

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dpac-organ/

Edited by RedStar25
  • Like 1

Buddy chose to ignore the citizens' preferences and spend the DPAC money to prop up a homophobic billionaire whose team has deliberately lost games the last two years and to give money to a Citrus Bowl group that has never raised a dime for anything for upgrades it never requested. And, just for good measure to pay for a soccer stadium the public was never asked about. 

We are seeing the results of that at DPAC. 

It is what it is.

Edited by spenser1058

Allegedly there will be space for an organ in the multi-form hall, but I suspect there would have to be a special philanthropic group "Friends of the Organ" type society to raise the $2mil or so to buy, add to, and maintain it. The Messiah folks would be in I think. And it would be glorious if the OPO mounted The Planets. Perhaps you should head that up, Redstar.

Edited by Boomer136

my understanding is that Barton Meyers did not want to be associated with the project if it was going to built in two phases.  Understandably so.  So they have been really back seat since that decision was made.  still their design obviously on the exterior but 

That is what I recall. And they did not want to be apart of the VE process. The guy sounded like a real life Howard Roark. 

Edited by jack

here's a couple of my thoughts after touring the disney theater this weekend:

- it's not tile around the stage and walls; but cork.  guess this helps acoustics. 

- the area beneath the seats have cement floors.  some thoughts that were heard is that is looks a little unfinished.  was told by a volunteer/worker is that is if for acoustical reasons.  wonder if they will ever polish it or seal it

- has an almost nautical theme with the canvas (?) "sails" toward the top of the theater and the navy blue colors.  fitting for florida

- there is some 'wear and tear' around the stairs.  hope they touch some of this type of stuff before grand opening

- overall, a nice theater.  it's comfortable, very nice, and for the people.  light years ahead of bob car

- this is essential: phase two must get built. 

• Like 1

OMG!!!!  :o

What was I thinking????????  :dunno:

I am guilty of... of..... suborning copyright infringement!!!!!!  :shok:

Sorry 'bout that....  :D

I throw myself upon the mercy of the court.  :rolleyes:

Eyeroll. 

It's a rule many people may not be aware of. Was a PSA and I didn't even claim you violated a rule. 

Annnyway. Courtyard is shaping up. Looking forward to this thing opening.

I want to like this.  I really do.  But now that the fences are coming down and the landscaping is in the lack of Phase 2 is killing it for me.  I wish they could've shelled it out of something.  I think If/when completed it will be stunning, but now it looks out of place.  All of the empty space out front is just magnifying how unfinished it is.

WFTV reported Orange County's funding commitment of $25 million towards Phase II is contingent upon the center having another $40 million in private donations by Jan 31. According to Mayor Jacobs, it's too early to start talking about extending the deadline. The article has been removed so I can't provide a link.

WFTV has also obtained video of a construction worker (who is a convicted felon & played a role in the murder of a motorcycle club president) repeatedly firing a semi-automatic rifle inside of the round building while workers should have been demolishing the building. The round building demo is behind schedule. Get it together people, this is disgusting. http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/demolition-employee-questioned-after-video-shows-r/nhpNh/

Edited by nite owℓ

I agree that it looks completely ridiculous in its half-finished state - but I'm almost happy that they didn't put the whole shell there.  This way, no one can forget for a second that this thing is unfinished...feel like it's harder to brush the completion of Phase II under the rug.  Buddy will not want his legacy to be this half-built center.  

• Like 1

What is taking so long with the demolition of the round building?  It's like they came to a screeching halt about a week and a half ago.  They removed 3/4 of the concrete girdle and then stopped, and now it looks like they're chipping away at the building with ice picks instead of smashing it down like a typical demo.  Am I missing something here?

Driving by it early each morning, I think the lighting is what saves us. I can't help remembering back to the beginning, though, where the architect said something along the lines of capturing Orlando's "essence" in the design. Whatever this says about our essence truly frightens me.

The architect must have been all of his/her time at airport.

• Like 1

“In this world we are living in, ninety-eight per cent of everything that is built and designed today is pure crap,” Frank Gehry said at a recent press conference." 

Hmmmm, maybe we're in good company!

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/frank-gehry-digital-defiance?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=facebook&mbid=social_facebook

Edited by spenser1058