Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

Any initial thoughts on the Plaza?  Success? Failure? 

You gonna lock up all those chairs every night? Gonna track a lot of sand and gravel onto the real sidewalk, might get really nasty looking quick.

Is that temporary tent gonna be there Saturday for the free Sheryl Crow concert? If so, that open space seems small for a free concert.

I am sure it's there for the 2 weeks of opening events.

Beautiful night shots - I really dig the lighting, especially beneath the Magnolia overhang.

I may get crucified for saying this, but I really like the Round Building's interaction with the Arts Plaza.  I think it nicely frames the southern edge of the parcel. 

I really wish the city would have sold the RB to a developer on the cheap to it have re purposed into something modern and useful, a la the old OUC building (Aloft Hotel). It was a diamond in the rough.

• Like 3

I really wish the city would have sold the RB to a developer on the cheap to it have re purposed into something modern and useful, a la the old OUC building (Aloft Hotel). It was a diamond in the rough.

Agreed.

But I would have liked to have seen it a) made taller, about 12 - 15 stories & b) recovered with a different exterior.

Seems like such a waste to tear it down.

You gonna lock up all those chairs every night? Gonna track a lot of sand and gravel onto the real sidewalk, might get really nasty looking quick.

You called it dude. I was over there on Sunday after it had been wet and rainy for the past day. That fine gravel is nasty, and it was getting everywhere. Who in the heck thought this was a good idea?

Edited by Pete C

I did the DPC tour on Sunday and came away impressed, as expected. I really liked how immense it felt inside looking up as you discover the giant overhang crosses over from outdoor to indoor. Very neat. Looking up the curved outer wall of the Walt Disney Theater was pretty amazing as well. Inside the theater it looked like no other theater I have ever seen. I also really liked the small theater with the illuminated art above. Overall there was a lot to like inside about the design, flooring, finishes, and lighting.

One really weird thing I found was in the bathroom located on the edge of the building. They are really nice looking bathrooms, of course, however the sink design is baffling. There is about a 3 inch gap between the faucet and the sink to slide your hands underneath. You cannot rinse your hands without touching either the faucet, the sink, or both. You are touching something, guaranteed. This is an impossibly stupid design. The main bathrooms in the center of the building have faucets located well above the sink, so I don't know what happened with these other bathrooms.

Aside from the gravel outside, there is one other exterior design feature I don't 'get'. What is that white railing looking thing on top of the DeVos Family Room extension? It goes along the front and wraps around the sides. This is not an actual railing from what I can tell...I think it's purely a design element. IMO it sticks out and just looks odd.

Edited by Pete C
  • Like 2

Immediately after viewing the photos I said it was an impractical design for a commercial/public restroom. While they do look nice, those vessel sinks are going to be a B.... to keep clean (i.e. water will drip down the vessel and collect at the base).

Edited by nite owℓ