Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

my only knock so far is that the street (magnolia) should've been cobblestone, not tarmac.

Agreed. Even faux brick like a few feet away on Orange is prob going to eventually be done. My bet is that it gets redone like in from of Amway. They were prob just pressed for time and just slapped asphalt down.

Ya'll like the jailesque bars surrounding the WD theater? Very sallyport chic.

• Like 1

I am going to be pessimistic here and say Phase 2 is never going to happen. Nobody is talking about it. Buddy has moved his gaze west of I-4 and those projects are now the priority. He hasn't mentioned it in a long time, and if he isn't pushing it will never happen.

I am going to be pessimistic here and say Phase 2 is never going to happen. Nobody is talking about it. Buddy has moved his gaze west of I-4 and those projects are now the priority. He hasn't mentioned it in a long time, and if he isn't pushing it will never happen.

i haven't heard too many encouraging things yet either.  But it must get built.

it needs a large dollar, name-sake donor to set-up and start the phase 2 funding momentum.  as crappy as it is for Bob Carr to remain a venue for the philharmonic, it is smart for them to continue to use that as their home until Phase 2 is concrete.  otherwise, should the philharmonic begin to use dpac, people might accept the disney theater as their perm. home.

What is smart is using the Carr, still a viable theater, so multiple programs are available. One of the most fascinating processes I've seen is as the true costs of a theater are understood by your average developer types is they start to see that while a theater looks like a building, it is really a machine, even more so than a factory. The infrastructure is like no other project the majority of the different subcontractors have ever worked on, one of the reasons so many cost over runs and re-works. 

The Carr is frequently maligned unfairly when in fact it is not that bad of a space. It has successfully hosted all types of performances for decades.and should continue to do so. Hats off to the City Facility Maintenance team and the building engineering department of the Dr. Phillips Center who have come in and fixed a number of long standing maintenance issues. A facelift of the lobby and audience space with a removal of the 1970's look would do wonders. After phase two is built I think the DPC folks should continue to program and operate the Carr, maybe take out some seats as they did for Lion KIng to make a couple aisleways. Seat count only went down by 240 or something. It would help pay off the DPC quicker and give more choices to the community.

That being said, world class cities need world class concert halls. This design of phase 2 is very clever allowing for both a concert hall and another proscenium theater using the same audience space. World class, indeed! I am optimistic about it getting built. Especially after seeing what has been built, there are many in the community who want that space, and perhaps the large empty space seen from City Hall everyday will keep it on the front burner.

• Like 2

Orlando arts center benefits us all — even sports fans

I'm very pleased that Scott Maxwell has finally set the record straight about how we got here - there's been entirely too much repainting the barn by sports folks who have never raised a dime for their venues while the arts community got stuck with the heavy lifting. 

Of course, it's even more ironic that the one venue that is going unfinished is the one that made all the others possible.
Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

Good news from the trenches for the success of downtown:

'Impact from the Dr. Phillips Center's opening has already been felt at nearby venues.

At the W XYZ Bar in the lobby of Aloft Hotel on Orange Avenue, bartender Rebecca Buch said she had seen business from events such as last week's free Sheryl Crow concert in the Seneff Arts Plaza.

"It's a really good clientele, and it's attracting more locals; people who don't necessarily stay at the hotel," said Buch.'

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1229/article/p2p-81983169/

Because helping the blind is a dumb thing to do?

The problem is the chirping is activated no matter what. On a busy day you will have non-stop chirping and it is annoying. Whomever originally came up with the chirping crosswalk idea (not for Orlando but the very first installation) should have gone with a press and hold to activate standard so that the blind can activate it on demand.

The ones we were at this weekend only seemed to come on when you activated them.  We stood there taking photos of the DPPACWDTXYZWTF and I don't remember them going off except when we activated the signal to cross.

I could be wrong, but it was quite audible and I think I would've wanted to move away if it was going off continuously.  We stood there for about 10 minutes and I *clearly* remember the chirping/audio, so I hopefully would've noticed it doing the entire time.

I did notice it was loud, but assumed that's because the traffic was quieter than normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so Buddy's state of downtown speech came and went, and there was not a peep about Phase 2. I didn't see anything about Mayor Jacobs speech...did she have one, and was Phase 2 mentioned?

Edit: I just watched that new Downtown Orlando video which was part of the state of downtown. In it, they said "We finished our Performing Arts Center".

Phase 2 is dead.

Edited by Pete C

I think dead is probably too strong of language.  I know a lot of people who have no interest in letting this rot and it won't.

However, taking the small victory of the piece that is complete, being complete, isn't a death note for the rest of the project.

I guess they took $750k out of phase 2 funding for more phase 1 work?

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/27410321/arts-center-to-receive-750k-from-orlando-for-punch-list

I could be entirely incorrect but I believe the statement on the downtown vision video that "We finished our Performing Arts Center" is being completely misunderstood. The piece is a vision of the future of downtown, not a current state. If taken in that context it is actually an endorsement of the importance of finishing the arts center as a part of downtown's future vision.

• Like 1