Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

And just think, all of these same patrons would have gotten into their cars and driven away had the "Phantom" been held in the Bob Carr.

I have no idea if the Dr. Phillips Center will be a success from a performing arts center perspective. Only time will tell. But from an urban planning perspective, it's already proven to be a winner, IMO. Hundreds of potential customers for downtown restaurants, bars, and shops on any given night - all on foot - in the center of the downtown core.

• 3 weeks later...

After walking by today I think they should keep all the lots out front open. I would not develop them. Just add grass to the lot where the building is being demoed. The open area makes the arts center look far more dramatic. Too many other lots downtown to build on before these 2. I like the park like setting.

Recently saw The Book of Mormon here and it was a spectacular experience! Truly a world class venue which perfectly blended into downtown making it a great night out from pre-show dinner to post show dinner cocktails. As mentioned earlier, a major issue that has yet to be fix is the bar and drinking situation. Twice my brother and I waited in a long, never moving line, only to give up and go to the show as the production was about to start. That is a lot of money being missed out on due to not being able to handle the crowds. It also was the biggest downside to the whole experience and honestly just completely unnacceptable. Also as mentioned before the sinks are just plain comical, especialyl watching several guys try to use them only to get frustrated  and annoyed.

Those are two relatively small downsides though, from what was just an incredible experience!

Recently saw The Book of Mormon here and it was a spectacular experience! Truly a world class venue which perfectly blended into downtown making it a great night out from pre-show dinner to post show dinner cocktails. As mentioned earlier, a major issue that has yet to be fix is the bar and drinking situation. Twice my brother and I waited in a long, never moving line, only to give up and go to the show as the production was about to start. That is a lot of money being missed out on due to not being able to handle the crowds. It also was the biggest downside to the whole experience and honestly just completely unnacceptable. Also as mentioned before the sinks are just plain comical, especialyl watching several guys try to use them only to get frustrated  and annoyed.

Those are two relatively small downsides though, from what was just an incredible experience!

Eh, they actually did you a favor by not serving you... I was at the book of mormon the other day and the food there was among the worst of any venue food I've ever had. For the most part, the snacks are kept in a freezer, so they would need to unthaw after you order it. I also found the cup holders on the seats in the theater comical, once I found them... I didn't find them till the intersession and not one person seemed to use them. The seats also weren't very comfortable in the theatre. A lot of the choices seemed very poor to me, chosen purely for looks and not for functionality or comfort (much like the sinks in the bathroom, the seating/tables around the bar, etc). The actual show was absolutely top notch, the theater itself was very nice, and the environment in and around ig was absolutely great.

I completely agree that stepping out of DPAC makes you feel like you are in a true and unique city.

Talking to the performers from BOM, they absolutely loved the facility. They said it was one of the best they had ever been to.  

FYI... this is my new Hood! I move in 10 days!!!! EEEEEEK!!!! 

1965439_10205811823524126_9119556998068510497008_10205811820884060_4020421360736

• Like 2

I did Book of Mormon tonight as well.  We too had the same line problem for drinks and missed the first 5 mins of the second half as a result.  That sucked.  The production was great and the theater was beautiful.  As an aside, I didn't realize all that part of the play regarding Orlando is actually part of the play and not a rotating part substituting each city.   Bodes well for Orlando long term I think.

I completely agree that stepping out of DPAC makes you feel like you are in a true and unique city.

Talking to the performers from BOM, they absolutely loved the facility. They said it was one of the best they had ever been to.

FYI... this is my new Hood! I move in 10 days!!!! EEEEEEK!!!!

1965439_10205811823524126_9119556998068510497008_10205811820884060_4020421360736

Welcome to living in downtown!

I love those pictures. What a great scene to enter when leaving the facility.

However, why don't they keep the chairs around the tables in the plaza out all the time? Everytime I walk by, there are tables with no chairs. My only guess is they don't want to encourage the homeless to hang out there.

I took in BOM last night, too.  The buzz and energy at the center, and around the plaza before / after the show was unique and electric.  The sense of "permanency" was evident -- the people, the place, the desire to be downtown and a part of a community.  And can I just say it -- it's so nice to see residents downtown who are dressed for the theatre, for city life, and interacting together.  It is such a healthy contrast to the college crowd two blocks over puking on Pine Street.  Two worlds are definitely colliding here -- a testament to an actual city emerged.

I think this feeling will become even more improved once the two commercial parcels are added in, bringing along restaurant / hotel space and helping to make the plaza space functional.

• Like 2

I think this feeling will become even more improved once the two commercial parcels are added in, bringing along restaurant / hotel space and helping to make the plaza space functional.

I really think the commercial parcels should be restricted to low rise zoning to help maintain the open feeling of DPAC's entrance.

On a side note, DPAC got a small mention in Travel + Leisure: World’s Coolest New Tourist Attractions 2015

• Like 3

Finally we hear a plan! Yeah, that's a ways off. However, the whole area is so far from complete anyway. There will be a lot of activity between now and that time with the future developments in the plaza. Each one will bring attention back to the area. Hotel opening, new restaurants/bars/retail opening, and then phase 2.

Does that three plot of lands in front and behind the art center worth 55 millions? They can sell those lands....didn't we paid 35 millions dollars for the church?

That's a good question. I'm not sure who owns that land. The city? The arts center? And as they are soliciting bids for a hotel on one site, are they selling the land, leasing the land? And will that be a revenue generator for the arts center in the future?

The City owns it

It will most likely be a land lease. DPAC needs operating revenue more than anything else. 

It is probably worth 5 million tops. They will never get the money back that they paid for the land. It was $35 million just for the church's property. Everything west of magnolia was already owned by the City. 

• Like 1