Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

7 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

On a separate note, is anyone else not impressed with the cantilevered roof? I thought it looked nice in the original watercolor renderings, but the final product is just not attractive IMO. It's so cheap looking. I wish they would have scrapped that feature.

do you have a link of this?

11 hours ago, JFW657 said:

The roof should look quite a bit better once the entire building is completed.

I think it's going to look awesome when the entire building is done. It is already such a large building, but it's still less than 2/3 complete so that roof is going to loom over the entire plaza. I like that our arts center doesn't look like any other. We have so little in Orlando that is truly unique.

• Like 3

I agree that the roof looked better in the original renderings, but I also think it will look much better once completed.  I think the massing will live up to the original expectations, but the real disconnect for me is a materials issue.  The renderings were extremely warm, and during the day, the real deal feels a little cold.  That being said, I think it looks stunning at night, and those original renderings were, in fact, at night.  The lighting really softens the thing.  In fact, the photo below really does look like the original renderings.  

DR-PHILLIPS-CENTER2444203_TheSoDrPhillipsCenter_ExteriorHighRes_SteveWilliamsPhotography2.jpg

cen_phillips_center.jpg

plazaview.jpg

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, castorvx said:

I also think the lack of development in the plaza makes the roof more prominent. That might be affecting my opinion of it.

I agree - the building design was intended to flow into the overall site plan.  This is why I am in favor of development on those parcels rather than open space.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, castorvx said:

Is that water feature still planned or did it get the axe?

It looks like it was cut during the fly-through. The concert on the lawn doesn't include the water feature. I'd be surprised if they put anything there -- they have touted the plaza as a fourth performance venue.

On 11/4/2016 at 1:29 PM, prahaboheme said:

I agree - the building design was intended to flow into the overall site plan.  This is why I am in favor of development on those parcels rather than open space.

Keeping all that green lawn is good for the few large events that happen throughout the year, but the vast majority of the time it is dead. I too still am in favor of development on the lawns to frame the plaza nicely. Any word on the hotel proposal as well as CNL 3? Haven't heard anything for a while now.

4 hours ago, castorvx said:

Is that water feature still planned or did it get the axe?

3 hours ago, smileguy said:

It looks like it was cut during the fly-through. The concert on the lawn doesn't include the water feature. I'd be surprised if they put anything there -- they have touted the plaza as a fourth performance venue.

I just assumed the water feature could be easily drained to allow people to occupy the whole plaza in the event of an outdoor performance. What I really want to see is for them to get rid of the gravel, that's the worst aspect of the plaza in my opinion.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, metal93 said:

I just assumed the water feature could be easily drained to allow people to occupy the whole plaza in the event of an outdoor performance. What I really want to see is for them to get rid of the gravel, that's the worst aspect of the plaza in my opinion.

My biggest complaint with this plaza is lack of shade. Big open areas in the sun are not great in Florida. Either development needs to happen or some big trees need to go in. It's very unpleasant out there at times.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2016 at 10:45 AM, uncreativeusername said:

I agree that the roof looked better in the original renderings, but I also think it will look much better once completed.  I think the massing will live up to the original expectations, but the real disconnect for me is a materials issue.  The renderings were extremely warm, and during the day, the real deal feels a little cold.  That being said, I think it looks stunning at night, and those original renderings were, in fact, at night.  The lighting really softens the thing.  In fact, the photo below really does look like the original renderings.  

DR-PHILLIPS-CENTER2444203_TheSoDrPhillipsCenter_ExteriorHighRes_SteveWilliamsPhotography2.jpg

I agree. But your digitally enhanced example is misleading because the color temperature of DPAC's uplighting looks nothing like that IRL. The lighting used is more of a daylight hue than soft white as shown in your example. The roof uplighting looks exactly like Billy's pics - bright white and poorly placed. And before the lights are turned on in the afternoon, the roof looks dark and cavernous. I guess I always thought the roof would either be made out of brass or at least gold-colored to soften it up a little.

The prominence of the roof doesn't bother me at all. It's the color and lighting treatments of the roof that are inadequate. And I prefer the open green space instead of developing the parcels on either side but I guess the city is aiming for a layout similar to NYC's Lincoln Center. Considering how long it takes to develop vacant parcels in downtown's core I think it's safe to say we'll be able to enjoy the green space for many years to come ;)

• Like 2

Good point Night Owl. It would look a lot better with soft white lighting, which I always prefer to harsh daylight lighting. One needs to look no further than Disney World to see how lighting should be done at night. Nothing but warm lighting in all lamps and buildings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete C said:

Good point Night Owl. It would look a lot better with soft white lighting, which I always prefer to harsh daylight lighting. One needs to look no further than Disney World to see how lighting should be done at night. Nothing but warm lighting in all lamps and buildings.

I'd like to see them have the capability to alter the color(s) of the lighting to correspond to various holidays or special events as is done with other high profile buildings. Like maybe Magic blue & white/Lions purple on home game nights, or red and green around Christmas, red white and blue for the 4th of July, or to honor some cause that brands itself with a particular color.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

... I guess the city is aiming for a layout similar to NYC's Lincoln Center...

What Lincoln Center has that the proposed developments around DPAC didn't have is cohesion in form and style. The four-story (?) hotel on the north lot was bland and mostly made up of a parking podium. The office building on the south lot was overbearing, busy, and much too large. While a few recent uses of the lawn (including the Pulse memorial) convinced me that we should keep it as a greenspace (with trees), I hope that if it ever gets developed it will be as one cohesive project. 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2016 at 9:15 AM, nite owℓ said:

I agree. But your digitally enhanced example is misleading because the color temperature of DPAC's uplighting looks nothing like that IRL. The lighting used is more of a daylight hue than soft white as shown in your example. The roof uplighting looks exactly like Billy's pics - bright white and poorly placed. And before the lights are turned on in the afternoon, the roof looks dark and cavernous. I guess I always thought the roof would either be made out of brass or at least gold-colored to soften it up a little.

The prominence of the roof doesn't bother me at all. It's the color and lighting treatments of the roof that are inadequate. And I prefer the open green space instead of developing the parcels on either side but I guess the city is aiming for a layout similar to NYC's Lincoln Center. Considering how long it takes to develop vacant parcels in downtown's core I think it's safe to say we'll be able to enjoy the green space for many years to come ;)

Fair point - I don't live in Orlando anymore, and have only seen it once in person - while I was very pleased overall, I didn't remember how cold the lighting actually was.  

Weren't there some design concessions made out of concern for $$ to get Phase I going?  Am I correct in recalling some controversy with Barton Myers objecting to the project being split up, and to some of the aforementioned concessions?  I know I read about it at the time, but I'm not sure if the source was accurate.  Certain details stick out to me as not completely polished - in the Disney Theater, the railings...the lighting of the blue faux-sky walls, and (although I hadn't remembered the light being so white) the spotlighty-ness of the roof lighting.  

In any case, still a gem that Orlando has every right to be very proud of (esp. once Phase II is finished).

Edited by uncreativeusername

• 3 months later...