Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

4 hours ago, Boomer136 said:

I think that has more to do with the lighting and poor white balancing characteristics of my BlackBerry (don't judge). 

Yeah, I kinda figured it had more to do with lighting than the actual color.

But I still wish they'd have made the building just a tiny bit darker.

I hate white buildings.

6 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I do hope that the architect's vision is carried through and the Orange Ave parcels are developed to enclose Seneff Plaza and to create the colonnade effect, as originally proposed.

Just saw a news report the other night, maybe it was last night, about the ground breaking. Right at the end of the report they mentioned that the City and Dyer were backing away from the original design proposal, possibly in favor of something smaller in the way of retail or restaurant.

Said we won't see any construction rise above ground level for another year, also.

Here's a link to the video, I hope it works.

http://www.wftv.com/video?videoId=500176260&videoVersion=1.0

Edited by JFW657

Well, as the news report said, they are currently conducting a study to see if smaller scale retail and/or restaurant would be a better fit for those parcels. It would mean smaller buildings but it could possibly do a lot more for the foot traffic which would create a more lively, active urban atmosphere. 

I could see two, two-story, multi-establishment, mirror image structures facing each other from across the plaza with eateries and various types of retail.

But as was said above, they cannot just sit there empty and unused.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Hopefully they include a traffic circle with a proud statue somewhere in that spot... just saying....

A traffic circle would be a great place for HankStrong's beloved brise! (moving the running gag away from 7-Elevens at popular request...)

• Like 4

Those wimpy little sapling trees they've got planted there alongside the palm trees should eventually grow large enough and spread their limbs out far enough to supply a reasonable amount of shade...

dpactrees.jpg

Will take a few years, though.

When they first planted the Drake elms along Orange Ave and Central in front of the library, they were scrawny looking too. But now they're practically creating a canopy.

If they end up putting smaller retail/restaurant buildings on each side of the plaza, hopefully they would be designed with ample overhangs so people can sit outdoors and eat or just relax.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

Lets not forget the OCPS Performing arts school on the back of that lot (Rosalind and South). It's the first "vertical" school the county has ever attempted. 

What about Orlando Tech (formerly Orlando Vo-Tech)?

otech.jpg

At five stories, I would call that somewhat vertical.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...