Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

Exactly, the design looks like a medium size city type of PAC done with relatively low budget. It is not iconic nor inspiring if most of us can only think of airport terminal or the convention center when we see the design. Miami PAC, Disney concert hall, Milwaukee Art meseum....are iconic architecture masterpiece that can represent their city on their own. Orlando is trying to be a world calss city and this design certainly do not justified that.

As for the interior acoustic and stuff......I am not acoustic or music professional related type of person....do you guys really can tell the slight difference in acoustic? I have saw quite a few show in diffrent theatre around the country but whenever the show start, i just concentrate on the performance. As long as I can hear the words or music...I am fine. I assume most people are like me unless you are very musically trained.

I don't think it looks low budget at all. I think it has a light, breezy open air look to it.

I like the nice clean uncomplicated exterior design with all the glass around the entrance & multi-level open terraces.

I think the place looks great & as was mentioned earlier, the interior is more important than the exterior.

As long as the exterior isn't embarrassingly ugly or just a kitschy looking assortment of architectural gimmicks then we're fine.

And of course with a building like this, there's always going to be people who will find fault with it.

Edited by JFW657

I thought you guys might be interested in this. Boston recently built a convention center that has a somewhat (though not totally) similar design. It has a huge overhang (very impressive) and a glass front. But it does differ a bit in that the glass part is more attached to the roof, and itself is cantilevered so the entrance is sort of a draw in. Another interesting thing is that it too has been criticized for not being very pedestrian friendly. But because of it's location - it is elevated above the rest of the surrounding block and kind of overlooks the harbor a bit - it is very prominent.

gallery_6913_20_108236.jpg

great find.

interesting. this entrance is for an entire convention center. it looks to be a similar size to the OCCC West Bldg's back entrance. I think the dpac front is 1 1/2x to 2x as tall as this, and that's for a PAC.

I don't understand how that type of design is not ped friendly save for the mere location abutting a roadway.

I was there for a conference in October of last year. You take the Silver Line, which is BRT, to a stop about one block away. The signage was misleading and it should have been a short walk to the new convention center. I ended up walking down the block to get above and around the tracks and then backtracking to the cc. I wasn't the only one doing this, because there were signs telling us to do as such. On the way out, we could see there was a better way to the station. The next day of the conference, I obviously ignored the signs and made my way to the cc with relative ease. They may have corrected this issue by now. I liked it once I was there. There was a wide street to cross, but there wasn't much auto traffic. This area of Boston is very new and less than a mile from the CBD. Great view of downtown from the cc BTW. For Boston, this is definitely not pedestrian friendly. We may find it normal in Orlando. Considering the transit station was a block away and they probably anticipate much ped traffic from the station and nearby newly built hotels, there should be a pedestrian bridge across that street or something to visually slow down traffic (when it builds up).

The major criticism of the Boston Exhibition Center has nothing to do with its design (the overhang is actually quite nice, in person). The city had an opportunity to build a 21st century neighborhood on the Seaport and has failed at every step along the way. It is disected by two highways, the silverline, and a sea of parking lots. New buildings are blockbusters, lacking the human scale that Boston is so famous for. A quarter mile from the center is an industrial turned artist neighborhood--the Fort Point Channel--that is truly urban and pedestrian friendly. It is sad the Seaport was not integrated better into this neighborhood, which is a natural extension of the Financial District.

Judging by the site plan and renderings, the scale and execution of OPAC, in context with its immediate surroundings, will be much more pedestrian friendly than the Boston Exhibition Center surroundings.

Edited by prahaboheme

It's bigger than you think. I apologize it is not the best picture - taken with a camera phone. That glass box to the left of the middle telephone pole is almost person height. And while it has a narrow entrance, it is a very long building.

yes, I figured that to be the scale of the photo, which is very good for a camera phone... way better than my POS.

still, what I noticed was that each level of dpac looks to be at least 12' high, or more than twice the height of said glass box. and dpac's roof will overhang at 8 levels' height above Magnolia (while the bldg. itself has 5 levels within).

I guess my point is that dpac will have a grand entrance based on the scale to the sidewalk, based on comparisons to this structure.

as for ped friendly, I really don't know.

yes, I figured that to be the scale of the photo, which is very good for a camera phone... way better than my POS.

still, what I noticed was that each level of dpac looks to be at least 12' high, or more than twice the height of said glass box. and dpac's roof will overhang at 8 levels' height above Magnolia (while the bldg. itself has 5 levels within).

I guess my point is that dpac will have a grand entrance based on the scale to the sidewalk, based on comparisons to this structure.

as for ped friendly, I really don't know.

If you notice on the side elevation, the cantilevered roof is the same height as the top of the amplified hall stage house, so I'd put it at 85'-95' above street level, and since it extends out over Magnolia, not just the sidewalk, it'll be about 80' out and running about the length of the block. That's pretty grand for me.

Another thing I noticed was the space for a rooftop garden on top of the glass banquet hall thrust. And if the floors were also transparent....

If you notice on the side elevation, the cantilevered roof is the same height as the top of the amplified hall stage house, so I'd put it at 85'-95' above street level, and since it extends out over Magnolia, not just the sidewalk, it'll be about 80' out and running about the length of the block. That's pretty grand for me.

now that's what I'm saying!

the way I see it, there's some things that other PAC's do that might be better.

but I also think that there's some things that this PAC will do that are better than other PAC's.

sure, the design might be basic in the same way that the Sears Tower is nothing more than 9 square shafts each rising to a different height (mostly), but they make up for it with things like the glass entrance, the elevated multifunction space above Magnolia, and the roof over Magnolia, et.al.

• 2 weeks later...

Since it is getting really slow in Orlando forum, just trying to get some discussion going...and not trying to knock down DPAC.

Here is the performing art center they are gonna build back in my hometown. It is the same concept as our DPAC here in Orlando, with office, residential, retails mixed in plus convention space. The PAC is 75000 sq meters

1422_3_1000%20Asymptote%20PGCC%203.jpg

1422_2_1000%20Asymptote%20PGCC%202.jpg

I know a lot of people here will hate this kind of design in Orlando.....but when an article claim something to be "make-a-statement" design, I am more incline to associate that term to this kind of design as "stand out and grab your attention".....in oppose to the front porch design that the Sentinel proclaim as a "make-a-statement" elements.

You're right..... I for one would hate something like that around here.

It would look totally hideous in Orlando.

But it certainly would "stand out & grab your attention".

Sort of like someone who's been badly disfigured.

Or a really bad wreck.

But I suppose in a very large city it would tend to blend in a little more.

Orlando is a long, long way from being ready for that type of architecture.

(a) where is your hometown?

I'm guessing Chicago from the top rendering.

Looks like a big lake in the background.

(b) that would fit into Orlando's concept since it looks like 2 swans about to mate (we see that all the time at lake eola)

Or two buildings that have been twisted & bent over by hurricane force winds. :D

Edited by JFW657