Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

• 4 weeks later...

On 11/10/2017 at 8:05 AM, spenser1058 said:

Interesting update from fellow UPer Mark Baratelli at Daily City about the proposed "Magnolia Hotel" across the street from DPAC:

http://www.thedailycity.com/2017/11/two-story-downtown-restaurant-space.html?m=1

Wow!  I really hope this gets built.  Wow.  What an addition this would be to that area...  What an impact this would have.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, cwetteland said:

Are those acoustic baffles, or something?

It's BAFFLING!!!!!

2 hours ago, cwetteland said:

Got that, but it seems to be enclosing chambers below that decking.

Possibly the individual hydraulic lifts that raise and lower the floor?

Isn't something like that one of the features of this building?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Possibly the individual hydraulic lifts that raise and lower the floor?

Isn't something like that one of the features of this building?

The floor is supposed to go from flat with the stage to having raked levels, like the floor in the small theatre does. As part of that flexibility, the seats get stored somewhere, and I think it was supposed to be under the floor somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or the underfloor is for equipment to raise and lower the audience seats for this system, although I don't know how that would work with metal decking in place, maybe they plan to do cut-outs to accommodate the necessary supports. (I would assume some sort of hydraulic  actuation or whatnot). The stage itself, according to renderings, is above the audience level. I don't have plans or anything, but I would think that the understory is for equipment to make the variable floor function as well as HVAC coordination and possibly trap doors for magic tricks. 

Edited by dcluley98

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...