Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Hey, we don’t wanna steal Kissimmee’s thunder! (Buddy would never do that...)

Which reminds me, is the Silver Spurs being affected by OCSC’s use of Osceola Heritage Park?

Meanwhile, more country downtown might be just the ticket for new interest in the Cheyenne.

Silver Spurs shouldn’t be impacted. The rodeo moved into the arena (it was once outside) when the heritage park was redeveloped and the fair is on the lawn fronting H192. 

The sports complex is on the north side of the property.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

All true!!!!

But of course, I was being facetious with the go kart track thing.

Maybe they could do a weekend rodeo there. Bronc riding, calf roping, etc.

Country music bands on a stage facing the plaza.

Yee haw.

That just reminded me of 8 seconds back in the day!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, aent said:

"The mixed-use development, which would include apartments, would be built on a platform over the loading dock along Rosalind Avenue, said Katherine Ramsberger, "

Its in the "dream phase" more information expected second half of next year.

I have to admit that would help out the Rosalind  side of the building. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Edited by spenser1058

The mixed-use development, which would include apartments, would be built on a platform over the loading dock along Rosalind Avenue, said Katherine Ramsberger, president and CEO of the Dr. Phillips Center. Ramsberger spoke Dec. 14 at OBJ's Doing Business in Downtown event at Camping World Stadium.

The number of units still are being planned along with other details about the project. No timetable was given, but a more formal announcement could be made in mid-2019. "We're in the dreaming phase," Ramsberger said.

Developers will be interested in building apartments near the performing arts center because the location is walkable and in downtown, said Orlando apartment expert Luke Wickham, senior vice president in the CBRE Group Inc.'s (NYSE: CBRE). There's high interest in downtown Orlando apartments where roughly one-third of Central Florida’s nearly $3 billion wave of multifamily planning and construction is occurring. The average monthly rent is $1,547 for an apartment in the central submarket, which includes downtown Orlando, according to Charlotte-based AptIndex.com. That compares with Orlando's average of $1,300 a month.

A challenge for the apartment project will be space on the nine-acre Dr. Phillips Center property. It's difficult, but not impossible, to build apartments on less than two acres, Wickham said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

The mixed-use development, which would include apartments, would be built on a platform over the loading dock along Rosalind Avenue, said Katherine Ramsberger, president and CEO of the Dr. Phillips Center. 

So, by "platform above the loading dock", they must mean the ground floor will be left open for trucks to enter, as there is nothing existing there now.

dpacloadingdock.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 9:49 PM, JFW657 said:

So, by "platform above the loading dock", they must mean the ground floor will be left open for trucks to enter, as there is nothing existing there now.

dpacloadingdock.jpg

Yeah, I am not really understanding that one. Who wants to live under or around a loading dock bay. no thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jvest55 said:

Yeah, I am not really understanding that one. Who wants to live under or around a loading dock bay. no thanks

I expect they'll design it so that it's not obtrusive for the residents. Maybe have residential parking entrance/exit on a different side, or possibly adjacent to each other. 

I was just wondering when I first read about it, what they meant by "platform". Why not just say the building will be built above the loading docks which makes it pretty apparent that the ground floor will be open to delivery vehicles? If you've ever been in the loading area for SunTrust, it's the same way. You drive down the sloped ramp alongside the garage into the loading area which is underneath the mid-rise building that faces the lawn.

• Like 1