Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

2 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

Is there a rendering of what the back-side of this ugly slab of concrete supposed to look like? The renderings seem to be broke on the first page of this thread. Is there a PDF somewhere?

They are welding something to these patches:

Difficult to tell exactly where you're looking at, but the finish should be the same as the rest of the building.  I think there is another layer of masonry going up on the outside of most of the building to match what we have on the other exterior walls. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

They had a topping off ceremony at DPAC today as they hoisted one of the last beams in place.

Just saw a news segment where they reported and Buddy confirmed on camera, that there will be no more building on the site.

Green lawn will stay with some improvements.

Yay for the Front Lawn!

Just for Hank, maybe they’ll bring back part of the brise.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Sad 1

If the future is to maintain the lots as a lawn, I do hope they invest in an effort to create an actual space there that people would want to use. Parkspace is not very functional in Orlando most of the year without shade.  

There seems to be a lot working against pedestrian activity at the space in its current format.  

• Like 1

Tacky and scratchy cocina bed is not nice. Nor is the arbor selection.  --- imagine an offset stadium berm slash step down channeled plaza extending the whole width from south to anderson with the bowl at the focal. Grass sloped lawn with tall shade unblocked view harbors all encompassing a 'venue' and larger amphitheater-esk vs lk eola.     (But what do I know.)

It needs to be completely redesigned. 

Seneff Plaza was built in response to the original master plan which assumed that the side parcels would be built over to form a center colonnade. Now that it is confirmed the entire lot will remain a park, the square shape of the space should be emphasized. Something like the redesign of Ellis Square in Savannah or Picadilly Gardens in Manchester could work here.

614516EC-D514-44F1-8A8F-B7BAF1CF387B.jpeg

59F856C6-347A-49C4-9E58-D9453B0D869C.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sunshine said:

Hopefully they put some interesting elements in the front lawn and make it into an urban enclave that people want to visit.  Either go big with the design or do nothing at all. We need a nice park to distract us from this ugly building.

Lord Almighty, Sunshine, I respect you, but with all due respect you are one of the least positive people ever. Maybe you should change your screen name to "Doom and Gloom" or maybe "Poo Poo cloudy sky", better yet "I hate Orlando but I cant stop obsessing about it." 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

Lord Almighty, Sunshine, I respect you, but with all due respect you are one of the least positive people ever. Maybe you should change your screen name to "Doom and Gloom" or maybe "Poo Poo cloudy sky", better yet "I hate Orlando but I cant stop obsessing about it." 

Well, I've engaged in a good bit of criticism of the architecture in Orlando myself, so I can't really comment. I guess he just has strongly held opinions. I don't agree with a lot of them in terms of design taste, but I'd rather see people being honest about their feelings and opinions rather than going along to get along.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Stop making me cry Spense.

So, are you crying "Spense", and if so, why?

Or... are you asking him to stop making you cry and if so, how is he doing that?

IOW, does a comma belong in there somewhere or no?

2 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

I totally understand. I've been on this forum for over 15 years and the constant negativity doesn't help anything or help promote healthy conversation. 

Could be worse... <<cough... (IAR) ...cough>>.... 

• Like 4

If you think we’re nattering nabobs of negativity about Orlando, just spend a few minutes on SSC.

Compared to that, sunshine could be CEO of the Orlando Chamber...

For what it’s worth , I notice several oak (?) trees have been planted along the edges of the lawn. Depending on whether they’re laurel or live oaks (laurels grow quickly but have a shorter life span and tend toward the smaller side), they will help a good bit after several years.

Oak trees are also more appropriate for Orlando than palms, although those still line the middle of the lawn.

In any event, I’m a third generation Orange Countian who left to see what I was missing and came back when I found out there wasn’t any place I’d rather be.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

If you think we’re nattering nabobs of negativity about Orlando, just spend a few minutes on SSC.

Compared to that, sunshine could be CEO of the Orlando Chamber...

For what it’s worth , I notice several oak (?) trees have been planted along the edges of the lawn. Depending on whether they’re laurel or live oaks (laurels grow quickly but have a shorter life span and tend toward the smaller side), they will help a good bit after several years.

Oak trees are also more appropriate for Orlando than palms, although those still line the middle of the lawn.

In any event, I’m a third generation Orange Countian who left to see what I was missing and came back when I found out there wasn’t any place I’d rather be.

I am a huge advocate for native-only landscaping.  One of my favorite recently designed plaza spaces is the extension of the Lincoln Rd mall in Miami Beach and the cypress bed incorporated into the plaza design.  I like our own Heritage Square for the use of cypress as well. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sunshine said:

Hopefully they put some interesting elements in the front lawn and make it into an urban enclave that people want to visit.  Either go big with the design or do nothing at all. We need a nice park to distract us from this ugly building.

lol, I personally am not a huge fan of the architecture of it either, my main problem with it is only one side of it looks nice at all, every other side is ugly or bland, so blocking the one good view of the facility with trees just seems to make it a total waste. prahaboheme first picture is what I'd really like. This one park doesn't need to be filled with shade trees that will block the view of its facility. Something that will keep the area open for things like campaign rallies and such.

42 minutes ago, aent said:

lol, I personally am not a huge fan of the architecture of it either, my main problem with it is only one side of it looks nice at all, every other side is ugly or bland, so blocking the one good view of the facility with trees just seems to make it a total waste. prahaboheme first picture is what I'd really like. This one park doesn't need to be filled with shade trees that will block the view of its facility. Something that will keep the area open for things like campaign rallies and such.

Otoh, a wide open, shadeless plaza in Orlando from April through September would be like a giant frying pan. They don't need giant oaks that grow 50 feet tall, but those Drake elms that line Orange Ave and Central near the library, placed properly would provide nice shade without obscuring the entire facade. There's plenty of room in the grassy areas on either side for inviting park space while keeping the wide open center section which would allow for a frontal view. 

I kinda doubt they'll do that though. Probably be something more like what you're talking about. No big deal to me as I won't be hanging around there anyway.

I agree about the ugly back and sides of the DPAC. I once commented here that the back side looked like the rear loading dock area of a Walmart. And it's visible from the 408, too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

The back side if very ugly, that is not being negative, it's just a fact. I am closely watching to see what they end up doing. Even blank/fake windows would be a good idea.

I still wouldn't mind the 3 story parking garage over the load in and 4 floor condos to mirror The Grande, but that's just me.

• Like 1