Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

8 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Otoh, a wide open, shadeless plaza in Orlando from April through September would be like a giant frying pan. They don't need giant oaks that grow 50 feet tall, but those Drake elms that line Orange Ave and Central near the library, placed properly would provide nice shade without obscuring the entire facade. There's plenty of room in the grassy areas on either side for inviting park space while keeping the wide open center section which would allow for a frontal view. 

I work outside without shade, its hot, but we're Floridians, we can take the heat. Obscuring part of the facade on its only good side is going to make the building look much worse. Not every park needs to be the same even though shade is nice.

2 hours ago, aent said:

I work outside without shade, its hot, but we're Floridians, we can take the heat. Obscuring part of the facade on its only good side is going to make the building look much worse. Not every park needs to be the same even though shade is nice.

Well, most people aren't as heat tolerant as those who spend a lot of time outdoors. Downtown office workers who like to spend their lunch breaks outside, don't want to go back to work dripping with sweat and sunburned.

I look at it from the standpoint of making an inviting oasis that attracts people to gather throughout the day and spend time relaxing in comfort as opposed to just creating a barren space that may have an "urban" look and feel which doesn't partially obstruct the view of the front of the building, but doesn't attract people to come in and stay awhile.

I think that, if done properly, we could have reasonable degrees of both.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aent said:

The plaza is scarcely utilized now. There’s a reason for that. Why triple the problem with expanding it? 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:42 PM, JFW657 said:

So, are you crying "Spense", and if so, why?

Or... are you asking him to stop making you cry and if so, how is he doing that?

IOW, does a comma belong in there somewhere or no?

Could be worse... <<cough... (IAR) ...cough>>.... 

You are beating me at my own game!  Props to you, JFW.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 4:29 PM, RedStar25 said:

Lord Almighty, Sunshine, I respect you, but with all due respect you are one of the least positive people ever. Maybe you should change your screen name to "Doom and Gloom" or maybe "Poo Poo cloudy sky", better yet "I hate Orlando but I cant stop obsessing about it." 

Redstar, I guessed we just have different level of standard, and I only want the best for Orlando.  IF you truly think these buildings are anything architectural significant, good for you. Why don't you change your user name to kumbaya or sheep?  This is a forum, not a church.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, spenser1058 said:

If you think we’re nattering nabobs of negativity about Orlando, just spend a few minutes on SSC.

Sounds like a good idea.

I did spend a few minutes there trying to liven up the conversations!

I think you guys should continue the spirit!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

Redstar, I guessed we just have different level of standard, and I only want the best for Orlando.  IF you truly think these buildings are anything architectural significant, good for you. Why don't you change your user name to kumbaya or sheep?  This is a forum, not a church.

That may well be true, but at some point objective criticism can turn into nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

Just sayin'.... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 9:12 AM, sunshine said:

You've obviously never worked in a church.