Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

An interesting question appropriate for the UP wheelhouse: originally, the idea was that buildings on The Great Lawn could help fund an endowment to support operations and subsidize costs for local arts organizations (especially the Phil and the Ballet).

Somewhere that got sidetracked and my understanding was that things were moving along swimmingly without that backstop.

Now, everything is blowing up. I’m hoping Matt Palm or Paul Brinkmann or someone has the chops to dig into this.

Another interesting piece for me, having worked in non-profit, is that Job 1 is to cover your board members. That seems not to be the case with DPAC staff. I’d love to know more about that battle.

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 12:08 PM, spenser1058 said:

An interesting question appropriate for the UP wheelhouse: originally, the idea was that buildings on The Great Lawn could help fund an endowment to support operations and subsidize costs for local arts organizations (especially the Phil and the Ballet).

Somewhere that got sidetracked and my understanding was that things were moving along swimmingly without that backstop.

Now, everything is blowing up. I’m hoping Matt Palm or Paul Brinkmann or someone has the chops to dig into this.

Another interesting piece for me, having worked in non-profit, is that Job 1 is to cover your board members. That seems not to be the case with DPAC staff. I’d love to know more about that battle.

the last few posts...the money issue...I wonder...is that why they had reported last year that they might slate the Rosalind side of part of the property for an apartment building, ala, to create another source of revenue for dpac?

It was reported Tuesday evening that the base cost for local arts groups like the Orlando Ballet and the Orlando Philharmonic to perform in Steinmetz Hall, will be $5500 per day, before add on fees. According to the President of the Orlando Ballet, it's those add on fees that they feel might put it out of reach for them.

http://www.wftv.com/video?videoId=977509437&videoVersion=1.0 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2019 at 12:23 AM, JFW657 said:

It was reported Tuesday evening that the base cost for local arts groups like the Orlando Ballet and the Orlando Philharmonic to perform in Steinmetz Hall, will be $5500 per day, before add on fees. According to the President of the Orlando Ballet, it's those add on fees that they feel might put it out of reach for them.

http://www.wftv.com/video?videoId=977509437&videoVersion=1.0 

Having seen some of the contracts they're putting in front of arts groups, marking down the base cost and adding everything on as fees is shameful.

A fee to use bathrooms. A fee if someone uses a bathroom that's outside the scope of your rental. A fee for volunteer ushers. A fee to staff the box office, plus a ticketing fee to the org and a fee to the patron. A fee to staff bars, a fee to run bars and coffee service.  And many of those fees - at risk of sounding like Spenser - pay for sweetheart deals and for contractors that do a lot of business with the Dyer administration - Andy Frain, etc. 

All of those have hard costs associated with running the building. I get it. Just incorporate them into your rental cost like anyone else. 

Furthermore as a nonprofit, they would not let us pay the full rate, and part of the stipulation of paying the reduced nonprofit rate is that they could fundraise on our behalf, directing donors to their priorities that would "offset" the full rental rate instead of the mission of the presenting organization. It's a racket.

The center is also trying to bring portions of the organizations operations in house - marketing, ticketing, etc. - to profit off of those and further weaken the organizations. Its my belief that DPAC doesn't want a local Philharmonic or Ballet company, but to either produce or present those in a way that they can make more money. 

• Thanks 1

Always remember and don’t ever forget that Kathy Ramsberger is a creation of.... Buddy. It has been thus since the beginning:

https://www.nydailynews.com/os-xpm-2005-04-21-0504210321-story.html?outputType=amp

From the NY Daily News

Kathy was also called out as toxic in 2017 but that got covered up:

https://www.wftv.com/amp/news/9-investigates/9-investigates-criticism-of-arts-center-ceo-deleted-after-draft-assessment-/496213737

From WFTV 

And the clueless citizens of The City Beautiful are about to let this continue for at least four more years.

How a majority Democratic city can be ruled under such corporatism is one of the wonders of the Buddy mystique. But here we are.

When someone who is as much an establishment creature as the head of Dr. Phillips Charities heads for the exits, you know it’s bad. I also confess I drank the Kool-Aid a lot longer than I ever should have. Shame on me - I was warned some years ago by folks like Doug Head and failed to listen. 

The thing of it is that it goes back almost to Day 1. At the same time Bulldozer Buddy sent the demolition crew to take out the Jaymont Block in violation of a proclamation, his consigliere (who was removed shortly thereafter for his own shady past) was trying to sell off OUC. Selling off an efficient public utility that not only saves citizens money, is more reliable than the private alternative and serves as a cash cow for the city by turning its profits back to the Dome (helping to keep taxes down)is something any Democrat would be loathe to do. But it happened.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Always remember and don’t ever forget that Kathy Ramsberger is a creation of.... Buddy. It has been thus since the beginning:

https://www.nydailynews.com/os-xpm-2005-04-21-0504210321-story.html?outputType=amp

From the NY Daily News

Kathy was also called out as toxic in 2017 but that got covered up:

https://www.wftv.com/amp/news/9-investigates/9-investigates-criticism-of-arts-center-ceo-deleted-after-draft-assessment-/496213737

From WFTV 

And the clueless citizens of The City Beautiful are about to let this continue for at least four more years.

How a majority Democratic city can be ruled under such corporatism is one of the wonders of the Buddy mystique. But here we are.

When someone who is as much an establishment creature as the head of Dr. Phillips Charities heads for the exits, you know it’s bad. I also confess I drank the Kool-Aid a lot longer than I ever should have. Shame on me - I was warned some years ago by folks like Doug Head and failed to listen. 

The thing of it is that it goes back almost to Day 1. At the same time Bulldozer Buddy sent the demolition crew to take out the Jaymont Block in violation of a proclamation, his consigliere (who was removed shortly thereafter for his own shady past) was trying to sell off OUC. Selling off an efficient public utility that not only saves citizens money, is more reliable than the private alternative and serves as a cash cow for the city by turning its profits back to the Dome (helping to keep taxes down)is something any Democrat would be loathe to do. But it happened.

The article says Ms. Ramsberger has known Mayor Dyer since around 2000, but she is now pretty much the same person she was when at the EDC. Well before 2000.

I guess I'm one of the "clueless" as I have been, and will again, vote for Dyer. If someone better than him ran against him I could be swayed. But so far he has been blessed with terrible challengers. And while some, like yourself are unhappy with what Dyer has done I believe the landslide victories in his elections should be construed as the voters are pleased with him and his mystique.

Wasn't Mr. Head ran out of the Dem party on a rail... I haven't heard anybody mention him in a positive light in several years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

The article says Ms. Ramsberger has known Mayor Dyer since around 2000, but she is now pretty much the same person she was when at the EDC. Well before 2000.

I guess I'm one of the "clueless" as I have been, and will again, vote for Dyer. If someone better than him ran against him I could be swayed. But so far he has been blessed with terrible challengers. And while some, like yourself are unhappy with what Dyer has done I believe the landslide victories in his elections should be construed as the voters are pleased with him and his mystique.

Wasn't Mr. Head ran out of the Dem party on a rail... I haven't heard anybody mention him in a positive light in several years.

Kathy went from the EDC to City Hall and then DPAC - it was engineered under the Dome. And yes, the EDC is the epitome of corporate interests.

Doug has always been much further to the left than I and most of the local Democratic political establishment have been. He’s also been heavily involved on the state and national levels.

He was not “run out of the Party on a rail”. He went his way and the establishment went theirs as Buddy’s hold tightened on the local political structure (he supported Buddy in the beginning). The recent battle you may have Googled between Doug,  his fellow state committee person and OCDEC Chair Wes Hodge is inside baseball. The local DEC has long been regarded as a case of the “new left, the old left and what’s left”.

A “landslide” in Orlando elections is a very relative thing, rarely eclipsing a 15% turnout. In fact, dialing back Election Day to off year was a Buddy maneuver to further depress turnout.

Buddy wisely figured out that, with such small turnouts, that getting very motivated folks to the polls increased the chance for success. His original success came from leveraging the gay community and the bar community to turn out via a much more liberal stance on their issues. In retrospect, he did that even as he was laying the groundwork for the corporate maneuvers I noted above.

We were so thrilled at those issues coming to the fore (btw, with corporate support from Disney, Universal and others) that we were gobsmacked by the Jaymont and OUC maneuvers almost immediately after taking office.

The OUC maneuver was so out there even their button-down board was rendered speechless. But we gave him the benefit of the doubt and, in case after case, we were double-crossed.

We were also told he should be judged by the success of Parramore. Almost 17 years later, I know precious few people who call it a success.

Before you throw Creative Village out there, that was simply a cover for building the DeVos family a new arena when the old one, built to NBA specs, was barely 20 years old and bumped it ahead of DPAC even though a Bob Carr replacement was by far the #1 venue choice in polls. The decision to do that moved completion of DPAC back by almost a decade. The lucky break he got on UCF came from Dr. Hitt more than Buddy.

But, time after time, we papered over those issues. The problem is, he has stayed too long. Had he done the 12-and-out that Mayor Bill set as the norm (which was 4 years too long even for him as there were several scandals that last term), no one would have been the wiser.

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...

DPAC releases amended fees and expands the list of eligible participants. Arts organizations say they’re still studying the new agreement and will react soon.

Of course, they have to because DPAC is trying to require a decision by Sept 30.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-dr-phillips-center-steinmetz-rent-rates-20190912-ao5ymzfvdbbl3ksm2ewov6bfvq-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Orlando Ballet, Dr. Phillips Center reach deal on Steinmetz Hall

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-dr-phillips-center-opera-ballet-philharmonic-deal-20191022-k2vutmj5wfd33pq476penscx6q-story.html

"Opera Orlando and the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra are still in discussions, an arts-center spokeswoman said, but “we anticipate signing agreements with them soon.

Great news!!

Edited by Pete C
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pete C said:

Orlando Ballet, Dr. Phillips Center reach deal on Steinmetz Hall

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-dr-phillips-center-opera-ballet-philharmonic-deal-20191022-k2vutmj5wfd33pq476penscx6q-story.html

"Opera Orlando and the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra are still in discussions, an arts-center spokeswoman said, but “we anticipate signing agreements with them soon.

Great news!!

That is great news.

One thing that strikes me in this kumbayah moment (and Matt Palm is a good reporter, not your typical OBJ cut and paste sort) is that Kathy Ramsberger’s name is nowhere to be found.

Hopefully this is a good omen as usually her name explodes over everything to do with DPAC.

At the very least, someone had the good sense to get her out of Dodge while the grownups make nice.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

One thing that strikes me in this kumbayah moment (and Matt Palm is a good reporter, not your typical OBJ cut and paste sort) is that Kathy Ramsberger’s name is nowhere to be found.

Hopefully this is a good omen as usually her name explodes over everything to do with DPAC.

At the very least, someone had the good sense to get her out of Dodge while the grownups make nice.

This is directly related to the new TDT funding that was just approved by the county. The TDT is subsidizing the rents and fees for these performing organizations to rent from Dr. Phillips -- a pass-through if you will. I haven't seen the language of the agreement, but it would be interesting to see if it can be used to offset rent at other venues. Next time you hear Kathy say that not one dime of taxes go into operating the building, here is the mechanism that makes that technically true. The money goes to organizations specifically so they can rent the space. It's got her fingerprints all over it.

This was part of a significant revision to the TDT plan, beginning on P. 1142 of the agenda: http://apps.ocfl.net/eAgenda/archive/Agenda_10-22-19/Agenda_10-22-19.pdf 

Edited by smileguy
  • Thanks 1

Photos from immerse last weekend with the stage set up out front.... love the use of this space and curious what they will do with it moving forward and the completion of the other hall. 

Original renderings had massive buildings on the two green spaces flanking either side... has there been an update or vision for the  use of this space in front moving forward. Especially when they finish construction and open that space back up.

B9C9DE7D-6AE7-4554-B662-03B59505EDFD.jpeg

5D325C16-AD37-4FAC-89DB-F2FE532B3167.jpeg

4D39A800-908C-44E0-AD9B-0894119083F9.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pieson said:

Photos from immerse last weekend with the stage set up out front.... love the use of this space and curious what they will do with it moving forward and the completion of the other hall. 

Original renderings had massive buildings on the two green spaces flanking either side... has there been an update or vision for the  use of this space in front moving forward. Especially when they finish construction and open that space back up.

Click the arrow in the upper right corners...

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2019 at 9:59 PM, prahaboheme said:

If the future is to maintain the lots as a lawn, I do hope they invest in an effort to create an actual space there that people would want to use. Parkspace is not very functional in Orlando most of the year without shade.  

There seems to be a lot working against pedestrian activity at the space in its current format.  

something like the bean in Chicago with lawn and some trees would be nice