Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

It needs to be really weird and social media photo-friendly.  Not weird and ugly, weird and neat.  That's a fine line.

I'd like to see giant, inflatable holiday themed characters throughout the year.

An Easter bunny in April,

Advertisements-decoration-Inflatable-ani

Uncle Sam on the 4th of July,

uncle-sam-inflatable-rental.jpg

A Jack-O-Lantern in October,

giant-blow-up-pumpkin-outdoor-inflatable

A turkey in November

giant-inflatable-inflatable-Turkey-model

and Santa Claus in December.

25ft-giant-inflatable-santa-claus-christ

That would really lend an air of class to the place.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Orlando Phil, last of the three major local arts groups DPAC was designed to house, has reached agreement for use of Steinmetz Hall. 

It continues to interest me that the story features quotes from the arts groups and almost nothing from DPAC staff. That’s a big change from the stories we’ve seen over the last few years. Strictly a guess but I’m expecting more shoes to drop on this story. 

Too many of the wrong feathers got ruffled to get to this point. Stay tuned.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-opera-orlando-philharmonic-dr-phillips-center-steinmetz-hall-20191106-ji2ivui26bee3i4bkoq75cegea-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This news came out today.... "The project previously was set for a 2020 completion date, and now Katherine Ramsberger, president and CEO of the Dr. Phillips Center, narrowed that down in a Nov. 20 email to September 2020. Representatives with the Dr. Phillips Center were not available for comment."

• 3 weeks later...

TDT grants $19 million additional to assist in completion of Steinmetz Hall. Several features removed during previous cost cutting will be restored:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-dr-phillips-center-tourist-tax-steinmetz-20191206-cjzjkwdkpjbofi32j7w5bmgxya-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 4

On 12/6/2019 at 4:11 PM, spenser1058 said:

TDT grants $19 million additional to assist in completion of Steinmetz Hall. Several features removed during previous cost cutting will be restored:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-dr-phillips-center-tourist-tax-steinmetz-20191206-cjzjkwdkpjbofi32j7w5bmgxya-story.html

From the Sentinel 

If I understood correctly, the extra hall is between the two theatres, right?  Yeah, they need that.  Mezzanine space is very important.  Just like at the OCCC with the ne space they plan to build on the eastern part of the N/S Bldg,  I was there for that play on Saturday and when you look through the glass wall between the two halls, that's when you see how much longer the front lobby is going to be.  very exciting.  It's already pretty awesome with something like 5 levels; it's more vertical (imagine that in Orlando) than linear or wide.  Nevertheless, it's a nice center that wow's the patron.  It's awesome.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2020 at 3:41 PM, Jvest55 said:

They've got to beautify the back of the facility. I will be really disappointed if they ignore it. 

As long as its slated for future development, my bet is that they'll do the minimum required of them, but I'm honestly not too mad at it. 

Edited by smileguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, smileguy said:

As long as its slated for future development, my bet is that they'll do the minimum required of them, but I'm honestly not too mad at it. 

I'm not too mad about it either.  Future development was the original plan, and given that the front lawn is now not to be developed, hopefully this raises the odds/timeline for development in the rear.  

Funding to spruce up the Rosalind-side of the building would have to come from somewhere, which would have meant skimping on something else, and that would be a much bigger shame for the life of the building.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Nice photos - thanks!

Such an awkward building though - the masterplan to develop those remaining parcels really needs to be realized to pull together the vision of the architect.

It will be interesting to see if they can develop the parcels in such a way that allows North and South ingress/egress from the sidewalks as well as access from inner plaza without eating up too much of the open plaza space.

Do you think a tastefully designed shipping container strip mall would be a good idea for the outer parcels? I think the industrial steel design would compliment DPAC's architecture without breaking the bank. Plus they can always be removed once a quality development comes online.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1