Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

On 12/15/2021 at 1:56 PM, Uncommon said:

Noooooo. This is terrible news. Just when the weather was getting nice too. This is awful.

Although the front yard festival kinda looked like a  giant shantytown, it was really nice to see all of the outdoor activities in an otherwise desolate area. IIRC, they used to refer to the front lawn as the fourth stage (or something like that) during the planning phase so I'm glad they had the foresight to see the potential of the plaza space.

I wonder what was the big rush to dismantle everything... sure C0VID numbers have been trending down lately but it doesn't seem like they took into account spikes in infection after holiday gatherings. Winter is coming...

4 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Although the front yard festival kinda looked like a  giant shantytown, it was really nice to see all of the outdoor activities in an otherwise desolate area. IIRC, they used to refer to the front lawn as the fourth stage (or something like that) during the planning phase so I'm glad they had the foresight to see the potential of the plaza space.

I wonder what was the big rush to dismantle everything... sure C0VID numbers have been trending down lately but it doesn't seem like they took into account spikes in infection after holiday gatherings. Winter is coming...

Covid's not actually going away anytime soon.  They need to get to opening up the actual venue that's cost our community millions of dollars. Unless you guys would rather convert it into an apartment complex and just keep the outdoor stuff indefinitely... :whistling:

4 hours ago, F-L-A said:

Covid's not actually going away anytime soon.  They need to get to opening up the actual venue that's cost our community millions of dollars. Unless you guys would rather convert it into an apartment complex and just keep the outdoor stuff indefinitely... :whistling:

I never said they shouldn't open up the actual venue. I'd just like to see more events being held outside on a regular basis on the front lawn as well... actually utilize the "4th stage" a lot more often.

Since many businesses are forced to reduce capacity or even close their doors during spikes, it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to leave the shantytown intact for the time being. Each stage caters to different kinds of events so they can all function independently of one another.

Edited by nite owℓ

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 5:16 PM, jrs2 said:

Open house today:

20220114_154124.jpg

This is the exact picture with why I've refused to buy season tickets or otherwise be a donor.  They did the same thing for the "open house" when Phase 1 was about to open and it was pre-Hamilton and they were desperately trying to sell out.  I said, hey, let me go sit in like 3 different seats so I can decide where I want my tickets to be.  They were like oh sorry, that part of the theatre is closed off.  I made a joke about how ironic it was that the event was an open house and the one thing off limits was.... the house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

This is the exact picture with why I've refused to buy season tickets or otherwise be a donor.  They did the same thing for the "open house" when Phase 1 was about to open and it was pre-Hamilton and they were desperately trying to sell out.  I said, hey, let me go sit in like 3 different seats so I can decide where I want my tickets to be.  They were like oh sorry, that part of the theatre is closed off.  I made a joke about how ironic it was that the event was an open house and the one thing off limits was.... the house.

when we were there, some of the workers were complaining that earlier, there were stragglers that went up on the upper levels unauthorized.  proves your point of how do ya know which seats you want if you cant test drive them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 4:20 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

So is this done ? 

The exterior isn't all that great looking to me but if this is done, the city can finally move on 

It remains to be seen if the original vision of having buildings on the Arts Plaza parcels will ever be realized. 

DPAC was designed to interact with a well defined, activated plaza with restaurants, retail, hotel space, etc. not unlike an Italian piazza. 

As of right now, the Seneff Arts Plaza is a underutilized patch of grass outside  rare occasions. 

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

It remains to be seen if the original vision of having buildings on the Arts Plaza parcels will ever be realized. 

DPAC was designed to interact with a well defined, activated plaza with restaurants, retail, hotel space, etc. not unlike an Italian piazza. 

As of right now, the Seneff Arts Plaza is a underutilized patch of grass outside  rare occasions. 

Ahhhh. Okay I knew it just seemed bare. It's not UGLY it's just....like it's missing something. 

• 3 weeks later...