Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

Identity doesn't HAVE to be related to a good building. But a really good building can be the spark that ignites a sense of identity into developing.

as a former resident of Chicago, I totally agree with this statement and I firmly believe in it as well. look no further that JHC, Sears, Big Stan, Playboy, Merchandise Mart, the Picasso, and the Board of Trade... I'm a little O.G. on Chi-town.

so far, Orlando's identiy has been Suntrust and the Courthouse downtown. not sure if anyone cares about BOA. dpac wil not have the effect that the Sydney Opera House has as an icon-- obviously. Neither will the Events Center. Only places like the Astrodome and Madison Square Garden had that type of notoriety as visible landmarks (maybe not the Garden so much b/c it's hidden in Midtown).

Courthouse complex is huge. Suntrust and PTP are the next largest complexes. PTP was supposed to be that "good building", and might still develop into that once the theatre opens up.

dpac, if the parcels develop around it as planned could fit that bill as well for that 2-block area of town.

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dunno, that looks gaudy and old fashioned ;-) Granted those are interior shots. I love the Fox Theater in St. Louis though. Maybe that style is appropriate in the right setting, but I can't see the DPAC looking like that on the inside, not sure if it should.

as for people identifying with Orlando, the challenge is that many people are not from here, much less from FL. They bring all that baggage with them. I'm not a native of Orlando, but I am a native of FL and I have always been annoyed by how things are done/how great things are somewhere else. In terms of Orlando being a commodity market I think one has to define Orlando. The metro area encompasses three counties...Osceola, Orange, Seminole. Granted Kissimmee is fairly separate/distinct, but things all kind of run together from I-drive to heathrow. I don't think downtown orlando is necessarily a commodity market - things are constrained there and the downtown core is fairly well-defined, but it's quite small in terms of area. If we're talking metro area, yeah, definitely a commodity market with competing centers from I-drive to maitland, heathrow, altamonte, waterford lakes and several other areas. This phenomenon certainly keeps the margins pretty tight for downtown, hard to justify paying higher rents for a downtown address when you can get equivalent office space for a lot less in those other areas.

I dunno, that looks gaudy and old fashioned ;-) Granted those are interior shots. I love the Fox Theater in St. Louis though. Maybe that style is appropriate in the right setting, but I can't see the DPAC looking like that on the inside, not sure if it should.

as for people identifying with Orlando, the challenge is that many people are not from here, much less from FL. They bring all that baggage with them. I'm not a native of Orlando, but I am a native of FL and I have always been annoyed by how things are done/how great things are somewhere else. In terms of Orlando being a commodity market I think one has to define Orlando. The metro area encompasses three counties...Osceola, Orange, Seminole. Granted Kissimmee is fairly separate/distinct, but things all kind of run together from I-drive to heathrow. I don't think downtown orlando is necessarily a commodity market - things are constrained there and the downtown core is fairly well-defined, but it's quite small in terms of area. If we're talking metro area, yeah, definitely a commodity market with competing centers from I-drive to maitland, heathrow, altamonte, waterford lakes and several other areas. This phenomenon certainly keeps the margins pretty tight for downtown, hard to justify paying higher rents for a downtown address when you can get equivalent office space for a lot less in those other areas.

Haha its looks "old fashioned" cause it IS. It was built in the early 1920s I belive.

what's with the wftv scare ad about funding for this thing? are these guys commi's or something?

Simply that. Just a scare. They need to raise $25 million by 2010 and another $20 by 2012. They even say in the article there's plenty of time to raise money, and a loan is an option among other things.

http://www.wftv.com/news/18145310/detail.html

Edited by codypet

Haha its looks "old fashioned" cause it IS. It was built in the early 1920s I belive.

then I'm not sure why that pic was posted...why would the DPAC need to look like some sort of cheesy replica of a bygone age? We're not recreating Rosie O'Grady's or something.

The Kravis Center in WPB was built in the late 80s/early 90s and I think it's a very nice performing arts center itself. The acoustics are excellent.

dreyfoos_hall_photo01.jpg

then I'm not sure why that pic was posted...why would the DPAC need to look like some sort of cheesy replica of a bygone age? We're not recreating Rosie O'Grady's or something.

Well.... people have been posting images from PACs all over the country.... Nashville's new PAC is fashioned after an Austrian opera house. Why not post pictures of a beautifull hall... even if it is "old"

It was an awsome setting for the Halloween Ball.

The cost of the land from the church hurts. I know the contract has to be executed by December (I am pretty sure anyway). If they had to renegotiate all over again, I wonder if the price would drop?

If they had to renegotiate the city would not get the land. The church is not about to take a loss in this deal. They are breaking even as it is. As far as I know.

Edited by RedStar25

Heard from other sources (but not primary sources---Hope!) that bond issue not so good. Definitely no Citrus Bowl money, DrP3AC starting to sound like some odds need to be laid. Perhaps not scare tactic but good reporting by 'ol ftv folks. Time will tell.

I've heard the same thing through the grapevine, and so, apparently, has Mike Thomas...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/bask...,7590959.column

DPAC seeems to be the most popular with the Citrus Bowl running a distant 3rd. That is not too surprising, they were sold as venues for us. The Citrus Bowl will more likely be used by tourists making it the only venue that would increase the Tourist Development Tax.

Edited by jack

I still would rather see a $50,000,000 minor league baseball stadium replace the Orena than $175,000,000 spent on the Citrus Bowl. A new minor league stadium would draw about 200,000 people a year downtown with a conservative 5,000 per night. That is very conservative with a metro of 2,000,000 and a new stadium if the team was AAA and on target if it were AA. I still can't understand why the Tampa Bay metro area has 5 minor league teams and a major league team and Orlando has none.

The Citrus bowl only averages about 260,000 for it's four big events each year.

1. Citrus Bowl 70,000.

2. Champs Bowl 50,000.

3. Florida Classic 70,000.

4. Monster Truck show 70,000.

Total 260,000.

The high school games lose money just turning the lights on.

The high school state championship games will be lucky to break even.