Watcha Drivin'?

I'm not trying to pick on you here, but your post perfectly illustrates the difference between American and European cars/drivers. Americans get the biggest vehicle they'll ever need (i.e. for your camping trips) whereas Europeans get the smallest car they can live with on a daily basis. Towing twice a year? Rent a truck twice a year with the money you saved by driving a smaller car. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with either approach, just interesting to me is all.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not trying to pick on you here, but your post perfectly illustrates the difference between American and European cars/drivers. Americans get the biggest vehicle they'll ever need (i.e. for your camping trips) whereas Europeans get the smallest car they can live with on a daily basis. Towing twice a year? Rent a truck twice a year with the money you saved by driving a smaller car. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with either approach, just interesting to me is all.

Which is a totally different scenario and makes sense to keep a vehicle around that can tow. But I drive past lots of houses on my way home with moster 5th wheels and corresponding monster diesel pickups, and I only ever notice the campers gone twice a year. :shrug:

Eh. I know they're "local" but my Chrysler Pacifica was built in Canada. Most Ford Fusions are built in Mexico. Pontiac G8 - Australia. The Chevy Aveo is just a re-badged Daewoo from Korea. Accords are built in Ohio and there's a Civic plant coming online in IN or IL, I think. Camrys are built in KY. The definition of a "foreign" car is pretty fuzzy these days. We're looking at replacing our jalopy with a '06 Sonata which is built in AL. If we did, out of our Chyrsler and Hyundai in the garage, only one was built in the USA, and it wasn't the Chrysler. :silly:

I disagree for one reason: In the end, the profits end up in the fat-cats hands. If you buy a Camry, that executive lives in Tokyo and spends his money there. If you buy a Ford or a Pontiac, some guy in Detroit is going to get that money and spend it here in Michigan.

While it's not as cut and dry as it was years ago, there is still a tangible benefit to buying from companies based in Michigan (in my opinion).

Much like shopping at a Target vs. Meijer. Sure, Target has local management, a huge distribution center in Galesburg and hourly employees that live here in GR. At the end of the day though, your money gets on a wire and ends up in Texas (or is Minneapolis? I forget). If you shop at Meijer, even in Kentucky, you're benefitting Fred's executives who are going to turn around and buy their next BMW from Sharpe in GR, and go out to eat at six-one-six at the JW.

I certainly don't argue that you MUST buy local, or that it's some moral sin to buy something foreign (we drive a Subaru made in Indiana and a Ford Fusion built in Kentucky I think). I would argue, however, that there is a tangible benefit to buying from a locally-owned or headquartered company.

You're comparing the wealthiest of Londoners to average Americans - hardly a fair comparison. You'll certainly see plenty of hulking SUVs all over Europe, but they belong to the wealthiest. This is especially true in China. Here, they're the transportation of choice for the common man.

^Actually many people there get a car allowance in their paychecks to pay for these things so it's not just the wealthiest of Londoners. They spend this allowance on large vehicles because there are certain tax advantages. It's a very fair comparison because like Americans they will get as much car as they can afford, not need. Most Londoners don't need cars because of the transit system there, but the place is jammed packed with traffic.

You said it was a different in "mindset' and I contend there is no difference in the mindset at all. I notice now that average Americans can no longer afford to drive these kinds of vehicles so they are dumping them just like Europeans in similar situations.

2004Passat Diesel. 40 mpg. The poor man's Audi A4.

Fast and a little bit smokey.

Bought it when diesel was 80 cents/gallon lower than gas.

But still no regrets...

Recommending the new diesel Jetta to everyone who

will listen...

John

Archived