Best place to buy a suit in GR?

bice7

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have a good idea of what you want, and your sizing is not too far off the average, try the thrifts. Seriously. Guys donate suits that no longer fit or are no longer needed. Sometimes you'll find brand-new items with price tags still attached. Add the price of a minor alteration (hemming) and you're out the door. (Just put aside the notion that loved ones cleaned out his closet with a big donation. Their loss, your gain.)

I've done minimal shopping on that side of the stores, but have found some great items at excellent prices. (Tweed sport coat, elbow patches and all. Belted grey FBI-look trench coat. Each less than $10.) My finds for me have been stellar (all my work and interview apparel comes from thrifts).

You might try the new stores first, then go check out the second-hand places.

HTH

Fitzgerald's is by far the best. It's also the most expensive.

If you want to spend half-that but still get a good suit, I'd probably go to JoS A Banks in the same mall... but only when they're having sales.

Banks is weird.... you walk in and the suits are all priced $300-$800. At least once a month, sometimes more frequently than that, they mark them all 50% off. It's like trying to buy carpet.... only buy it on sale and you don't too hosed on price.

If you're only buying a suit for interviews, skip the thrift stores. You're trying to make an impression here.... make an investment too and you'll act and appear more confident.

Better stop by Cadillacs R Us and lease yourself a new car, too. You want to arrive in style. (The heck with those student loan payments!)

ETA: lunchtime run to Red Shield on 28th Street. About 50 suits, nice conditions, assorted colors and sizes.

$14.99 each.

Better stop by Cadillacs R Us and lease yourself a new car, too. You want to arrive in style. (The heck with those student loan payments!)

ETA: lunchtime run to Red Shield on 28th Street. About 50 suits, nice conditions, assorted colors and sizes.

$14.99 each.

I think your sarcastic reply is off-base.

Buying/leasing/renting a Caddy so you can arrive in style is frivolous, expensive and probably not a great idea if you are trying to make a good first impression.... even if you could afford the $40k+ to buy one.

Walking in with a suit on you that fits, and cost you less than $200 is money well spent..... not some trapping of the hopelessly rich. Pony up man, buy a suit from an actual store.

I agree with Par's comment about shoes. Buy some that are actually meant to be worn with suits, keep them clean and polished. If you're after cheapies, you can go to DSW at Centerpointe and walk out with a decent pair on the cheap. If you want something nicer, I agree with Van Hoeks downtown.

I would also steer clear of Warehouse stores for Men. I have bought a $200 suit from them before and when I started wearing it, it looked like I bought it in a Warehouse (stitching puckers around the lapels). Better to go for the quality on sale and have something you will want to wear after the interview.

For a first suit, I'm also suggesting JC Penny's. But getting the fit right is critical. Don't hesitate to have it altered a bit.

Then, when you are ready, get accurate measurements, bypass all the retailers and go to Jesse's website at dress-for-success dot com. I've purchased 3 suits and 20 shirts from him. Amazing guy. And best cottons, silks and wools on the planet. His client list includes Colin Powel, most of the State Dept. and most of the top guys in the secret service.

I know it sounds like a risky deal, but the quality is amazing and it's at TJ Maxx prices.

Just one office rat's opinion...

PM me if you want more info.

John

Archived