Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadVlad

Co-Existence Ave

16 posts in this topic

So, I noticed that Asylum Ave was now renamed, or co-named, or whatever... it is now also called "Co-Existence" Ave. Huh?!? What exactly is the purpose of that? Can someone please explain? Do the powers that be really think people will just start to co-exist because the street says so? I just can't believe they'd waste their efforts renaming streets like Asylum and Ann....

So, I noticed that Asylum Ave was now renamed, or co-named, or whatever... it is now also called "Co-Existance" Ave. Huh?!? What exactly is the purpose of that? Can someone please explain? Do the powers that be really think people will just start to co-exist because the street says so? I just can't believe they'd waste their efforts renaming streets like Asylum and Ann....

What a waste of time and money.

This is the best distraction we can get from all the real problems going on in the city? Co-existence Ave? Why???...

They co-named quite a few streets in Hartford. In many cases I prefer the new name.

There was a public art display called Coexistence presented by the Hartford on the lawns there a while ago. It was really very nice and had a nice meaning to it. I'm sure it's not terribly expensive to put up a little marker plate. The city is spending way more money on new schools and such, so I don't really see where this is even an issue worth discussing one way or the other.

Yes, I'd prefer Main St to be renamed MadVlad Ave, but there still is no point toi it whether I perfere the new name or now.

No point in complaining about it either, but here we are.

The only thing wasted by our conversation is our time, not taxpayers funds....

I'm not sure who sponsored this. Are you?

No, nor do I care, even if sponsored, there were still time and effort from City employees for a frivolous endeavor.

I have to agree.. "Coexistence Ave.??" I saw the street sign yesterday... it actually sits on top of the Asylum St. street sign... this does nothing but confuse people. I was riding with a friend down I-84 this weekend and she asked me what "Ann Uccello St." was. She asked me if it was a new street. I told her no that it was the "old" Ann St. so then she thought it made no sense and asked me why they changed it.

Things like this along with downtown addresses not found on maps like "1 Financial Plaza," 1 Commercial Plaza" or "1 Talcott Plaza," etc, do nothing but confuse people not familiar with the city.

I have to agree.. "Coexistence Ave.??" I saw the street sign yesterday... it actually sits on top of the Asylum St. street sign... this does nothing but confuse people. I was riding with a friend down I-84 this weekend and she asked me what "Ann Uccello St." was. She asked me if it was a new street. I told her no that it was the "old" Ann St. so then she thought it made no sense and asked me why they changed it.

Things like this along with downtown addresses not found on maps like "1 Financial Plaza," 1 Commercial Plaza" or "1 Talcott Plaza," etc, do nothing but confuse people not familiar with the city.

To me, Coexistence Avenue doesn't make sense. The name is not tangible to anything the street (or city) is known for. In fact, Hartford apparently has a problem with coexistence at this time.

It's right up there with "I swear it's fun".

In Boston, a stretch of Huntington Avenue is appropriately dubbed "Avenue of the Arts". It makes sense. Symphony Hall, New England Conservatory, Northeastern University, and The Museum of Fine Arts are situated along the Avenue.

On the creative side, can anyone see where something like this may potentially work in Hartford?

To me, Coexistence Avenue doesn't make sense. The name is not tangible to anything the street (or city) is known for. In fact, Hartford apparently has a problem with coexistence at this time.

It's right up there with "I swear it's fun".

In Boston, a stretch of Huntington Avenue is appropriately dubbed "Avenue of the Arts". It makes sense. Symphony Hall, New England Conservatory, Northeastern University, and The Museum of Fine Arts are situated along the Avenue.

On the creative side, can anyone see where something like this may potentially work in Hartford?

Well Co Existence Ave deserves no defense but others like the streets named after MLK and Marcus Garvey I find appropriate. I remember when Co Ave came about they had a fair and everything. At the Mass Mutual building. I think it is some sort of feel good diversity term that are as loose in meaning as the term diversity, as used now days.