Halogen Replacement?

runawayjim

I recently got married and one of my father's cousins owns a lighting store. For a gift (and we received it last week, about 2.5 months after the wedding), they sent us 2 lamps, a small table lamp and a torchiere floor lamp (which I have yet to open because we're looking for a house and it's all nice and protected in its box). The lamps are nice, but there's a problem... halogen bulbs. I am not a fan of halogen for many reasons, mainly because of the power they suck and also because of the fire hazard (especially with my crazy cat).

Does anyone know of a replacement bulb I can get that isn't halogen? Price really isn't an issue as I imagine it'd last a long time. I just want something that would give me a nice light and work with these lamps. It would need to work with a dimmer as that's what these lamps do. I'm hoping for like an LED type bulb.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do you have the existing halogen bulb (if it came with one at all) or know what type of halogen bulb? sometimes it lists it on the box. i remember you saying that it was very slim, about the size of your pinky and i'm still trying to visualize it.

If his torchiere is like mine, then the bulb is one of these:

http://www.feitelectric.com/jbulb_double/j_bulb.html

I didn't see anything that would replace it. Plus, its 500W, so the CFLs would have a hard time throwing that much light.

Maybe an LED if price is no object, but I'm not even sure about if they have double ended replacements.

Archived