Charlotte's Democratic National Convention

monsoon

Here we go again...Charlotte is putting itself in the running for the 2012 Democratic Convention.

More info here:

http://www.demconwatchblog.com/tag.do?tag=site+selection

Assuming that Obama would run again in 2012 this could be a huge deal for Charlotte. If we get it I think it would be the largest event we have hosted since the Final Four back in the 90's.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again...Charlotte is putting itself in the running for the 2012 Democratic Convention.

More info here:

http://www.demconwatchblog.com/tag.do?tag=site+selection

Assuming that Obama would run again in 2012 this could be a huge deal for Charlotte. If we get it I think it would be the largest event we have hosted since the Final Four back in the 90's.

Reading that blog and seeing several southern cities vying for the RNC makes me wonder if both parties would choose a southern city as the host city. I realize one party wouldn't make their decision based on the other party's choice, I just am not sure both parties would go with a southern city in the same year. I know Denver hosted the DNC last time...who hosted the RNC (I'm not a very good republican for not remembering this).

Reading that blog and seeing several southern cities vying for the RNC makes me wonder if both parties would choose a southern city as the host city. I realize one party wouldn't make their decision based on the other party's choice, I just am not sure both parties would go with a southern city in the same year.

Let's not forget just how geographically large the South is. Denver and Minneapolis--cities in two different regions of the country--are about 700 miles apart, while Charlotte and San Antonio (an RNC candidate city)--both located within the South--are over 1,000 miles apart. Now if by "south" you really mean "southeast," then that would eliminate the Texas cities and I could see what you're getting at.

I think it'd be great if Charlotte hosted the DNC convention. I think it would have a positive impact on the entire state.

But beyond geography, I think the choice of host city will depend a lot on next year's midterm elections and the political climate heading into 2011. Denver was a good choice for Democrats in 2008 because they had made inroads in the mountain west in 2006 and sought to further capitalize on that in 2008. Its tough to say whether the same thing could happen here, especially since most every state surrounding NC is solidly red.

But I'll be rooting for Charlotte nevertheless. Best of luck!

Honestly, Charlotte makes the most sense for the DNC in 2012. North Carolina turned blue for the first time in 2008 since 1976. With Charlotte becoming increasingly liberal and the Democratic powerhouse that exists in Raleigh/Durham because of RTP, NC stands a very good chance. Not to mention that the dems would love to hold on to this state in 2012. I think Susan Burgess has already submitted a proposal to the DNC? Tim Kaine will make the decision in 2010, so we'll see...

One detractor for 2012 in Charlotte would be our airport which theoretically would be in the middle of a major renovation. I envision the parking decks for the rental cars still being under construction then...and even if those are done I envision the whole ticketing lobby and baggage claim as one big mess. It is already a clusterphuck and they havnt even started construction.

Reading that blog and seeing several southern cities vying for the RNC makes me wonder if both parties would choose a southern city as the host city. I realize one party wouldn't make their decision based on the other party's choice, I just am not sure both parties would go with a southern city in the same year. I know Denver hosted the DNC last time...who hosted the RNC (I'm not a very good republican for not remembering this).

I could see both parties looking at the Midwest and Southeast - whether they put them in the same region would be conincidental but not a strategic accident. Much like 1988 (New Orleans and Atlanta).

Actually it doesn't. Let's keep in mind the GOP has demonized Gays to gain the evangelical vote. The present head of the GOP, George Bush, has tried twice to amend the Constitution to deny Gay and Lesbians equal rights. While this was mostly a political stunt it isn't a matter of being a single issue. It's a matter of life and death. If you don't understand that then I will be glad to discuss it off line. Closer to home our own Mayor Pat McCroy, who also pulls the party line, has vetoed giving domestic benefits to Gay & Lesbian Charlotte city employees.Actually the GOP has won the popular vote only once since 1992. I think that speaks enough about their support.

----------------------------------

I am thinking now that Charlotte would have been much better served if it could have had an event such as Obama's speech on Thrusday night. 38 million people watch that live. I am not so sure that we would do so well for what is going on in St. Paul.

Seems as if gays are being used as a pawn by democrats as they are republicans. If I were Obama, I would have kept my promise and opened up the military for gays. I see him doing this a year before election time to ensure he is reelected, despite his obvious not giving a crap. Until the republicans drop issues on abortion, gay rights, and religion, I will remain an independent. These issues need to be in the hands of individuals states. Parties need to stick to the defense, economy, and ecology. I would like to see gays pulling away from the democrats and becoming independents. I know several gays that are only democrats based on gay issues. That is too bad. There are too many other issues around. Someone said, "Democrats are too ignorant, and Republicans are too mean" to be affiliated with either. I don't think that Charlotte is a place for a Presidential Convention. We should stay nutral.

Charlotte does not have nearly enough hotel rooms to host a convention. It would make no sense to build a lot because they would remain empty after the Convention since downtown Charlotte draws very few tourists.

Also, there isn't really much to do in Charlotte.

Charlotte is a nice medium-sized city, sort of like Cincinatti or Columbus, OH. It does not compete with bigger cities like Denver, Dallas and Seattle.

Charlotte does not have nearly enough hotel rooms to host a convention. It would make no sense to build a lot because they would remain empty after the Convention since downtown Charlotte draws very few tourists.

Also, there isn't really much to do in Charlotte.

Charlotte is a nice medium-sized city, sort of like Cincinatti or Columbus, OH. It does not compete with bigger cities like Denver, Dallas and Seattle.

It may not be a huge tourist center, but it is a huge convention center. That is what sets uptown apart from the aforementioned. And the hotel fill rate is pretty high. What do people do at conventions? They drink. I am sure there is enough to do.

• 3 months later...

Phoenix, Tampa and Salt Lake City are the three finalists for the 2012 RNC

The three cities to submit official bids or declare their intentions to submit bids for the 2012 DNC are Charlotte, Philadelphia and Phoenix.

That Phoenix just made a finalist for the RNC gives Charlotte the edge for the DNC in my opinion. The wild card will be Tampa. If Tampa wins the RNC, I see the Democrats going to Phoenix.

• 1 month later...

According to this blog, there is some insider suggestion about the 2012 DNC going to St. Louis.

Right now we have no proof that St Louis will be the host city. Call it a hunch from a few people that have years of Democratic National Convention experience. It just makes sense to us.

http://www.demconwatchblog.com/diary/3325/demconwatch-selects-the-2012-democratic-national-convention-city

• 3 weeks later...

I hope neither come. If one ever does, I hope it will be the Republicans even though I am not one. The Democrats would tear up the city and bring lots of undesirable trash that we don't need. I am all for keeping Charlotte a thriving business city with excellent cultural venues. The Republicans would bring a more sophisticated, conservative, cleaner, more intelligent crowd. That is usually the best option. Of course this is my opinion as an independent and most everyone on this message board will disagree with me, but that is their right. thumbsup.gif

I hope neither come. If one ever does, I hope it will be the Republicans even though I am not one. The Democrats would tear up the city and bring lots of undesirable trash that we don't need. I am all for keeping Charlotte a thriving business city with excellent cultural venues. The Republicans would bring a more sophisticated, conservative, cleaner, more intelligent crowd. That is usually the best option. Of course this is my opinion as an independent and most everyone on this message board will disagree with me, but that is their right. thumbsup.gif

We are each entitled to our opinions. We should just be careful for how we word our opinions to others. "undesireable trash" is rather.....harsh.

The Democrats would tear up the city and bring lots of undesirable trash that we don't need......

The Republicans would bring a more sophisticated, conservative, cleaner, more intelligent crowd....

What sort of Democratic "trash" are you referring to? Did you never hear about the GOP's recent night out at the lesbian S & M club?

No offense but that must be one of the most peculiar posts I've read in a while.

We are each entitled to our opinions. We should just be careful for how we word our opinions to others. "undesireable trash" is rather.....harsh.

I'm pretty sure it must have been a tongue-in-cheek joke. We do have the NRA national convention in Charlotte this spring, that practically counts as hosting the Republican National convention, right? :thumbsup:

Political baiting aside whistling.gif I think you are off your rocker. Charlotte needs to actively pursue things like the DNC 2012. It would aid in in our exposure, national reputation and, let's not forget, tourism dollars.

I tried to erase my posting after writing it, but it was too late. When I refered to "undesireable trash" I was thinking about the leftwing radicals that unfortunately connect to the dems. in most cases. Radical outsiders have the potential to disrupt political conventions with potential costly riots, etc. Charlotte being a rather conservative city has the potential to host such negative reactions which are not in concert with the purpose of political conventions. I would rather see Charlotte focus on big conventions, sports, culture, and hosting international commerce. I didn't mean to bait the thread and I sincerely apologize for my poorly worded, unexplained previous comment. I am an independent and didn't mean any disrespect towards the idealogies of either political party. I think they are both equally bad. Again, my apologies.

^ i wasn't going to touch this with a 10 foot pole BUT...

A. If we got the Democratic Convention in Charlotte, don't you think it would be the right-wing radicals disrupting things if anyone did? I don't think there would be any major issues either way...when's the last time you heard of a "costly riot" being started by either group, but especially at THEIR party's convention? We'd see some protesting in either case, and nothing more I am certain. Given their track records, which protesters do you think would be the most tasteless and aggressive?

B. I don't understand the branding of Charlotte as a conservative city any longer considering how we all know the election swung...I would argue that we are a firmly moderate city today.

^ i wasn't going to touch this with a 10 foot pole BUT...

A. If we got the Democratic Convention in Charlotte, don't you think it would be the right-wing radicals disrupting things if anyone did? I don't think there would be any major issues either way...when's the last time you heard of a "costly riot" being started by either group, but especially at THEIR party's convention? We'd see some protesting in either case, and nothing more I am certain. Given their track records, which protesters do you think would be the most tasteless and aggressive?

B. I don't understand the branding of Charlotte as a conservative city any longer considering how we all know the election swung...I would argue that we are a firmly moderate city today.

Moderate is a good choice. I don't really think that a problem causing group would be directly linked to either party. It would be a group with their own agenda and likely not attached directly to either dems or reps. Again, sorry for my posting before. To be honest, most of the branding of Charlotte as being a conservative city has been from northerners many of whom live elsewhere.

To return this to topic, I don't think Charlotte is even going to get a chance to find out about what kind of impact (image, economic or otherwise) the DNC 2012 will have if they don't put a little more publicity into their efforts.

As I pointed out St. Louis went from not even being a listed publicly interested city to launching a full campaign with website within a week while Charlotte has been talking about it for months and yet I see no website or overt efforts to promote this city's bid.

If there is one key thing that I think Charlotte is good at it is their belief and efforts at marketing the city - now is not the time to take it slow and steady.

Seriously - all politics aside (I would love an RNC convention as well to be frank but there is no bid for that this time) I think hosting a political convention is the next logical big event step for this city to earn its national reputation as more than just a business town. A successful convention host by Charlotte would open a lot more doors to the city for other types of events down the road as well as increase the focus on us for major retailers.

I may have my own leaning for political party but in this case I don't care about the Blue or the Red... just the green.

Go Charlotte.

I tried to erase my posting after writing it, but it was too late. When I refered to "undesireable trash" I was thinking about the leftwing radicals that unfortunately connect to the dems. in most cases. Radical outsiders have the potential to disrupt political conventions with potential costly riots, etc. Charlotte being a rather conservative city has the potential to host such negative reactions which are not in concert with the purpose of political conventions. I would rather see Charlotte focus on big conventions, sports, culture, and hosting international commerce. I didn't mean to bait the thread and I sincerely apologize for my poorly worded, unexplained previous comment. I am an independent and didn't mean any disrespect towards the idealogies of either political party. I think they are both equally bad. Again, my apologies.

You have a history of doing this in other non-political threads, so let this be your last so-called mishap.

Archived