Charlotte's Democratic National Convention

monsoon

I may have my own leaning for political party but in this case I don't care about the Blue or the Red... just the green.

Go Charlotte.

Couldn't agree more. I think one of these conventions would do wonders for the city. I'd be happy to land either one, regardless of red or blue.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tampa is the winner of the Republican Convention in 12. According to The New York Times Charlotte,Philadelphia,St.Louis and unnamed "others" are having their applications reviewed by the Dems. So some entity must have applied for us. Oh and the NYT still thinks we can't stand on our own. We were the only city in the story that had it's state initials next to it rolleyes.gif

I apologized. Please try to get over it.

As a moderator, my job isn't to "get over it;" it's to make sure this same foolishness isn't repeated here or elsewhere. I'm making it clear that this sort of baiting won't be tolerated in this thread or any other non-political thread, explicit apologies notwithstanding. Now that that's settled, let's move on.

So here we are with Tampa the chosen GOP2012 host city and I'm left evaluating what Charlotte's chances are for the DNC2012.

In my mind of the four known candidate cites, I see this as a battle of two.

Phoenix is simply out of the running for the DNC bid due the to the Arizona immigration law. There are already calls from the California and Colorado DNC party networks to boycott the convention if it goes there - so it ain't going there. Philadelphia I believe is an extremely long shot due to both finances (city leaders have admitted that it may not be able to raise the funds) and the lack of drama or change holding it in Philadelphia, which is a Democrat stronghold in a Northeast city.

So that leaves two: Charlotte and St. Louis. I already stated earlier in this thread that my gut was that if the GOP went with Tampa that Charlotte would be unlikely to be chosen as I can't envision two Southern Conventions, but that said, I think a few things have changed in our favor recently and I'm changing my odds to 60-40 in St. Louis Favor.

Below are Charlotte's pros and cons (in my mind)

Pros:

• Southern state that went blue in '08 and is more purple than anything offers Democrats a chance to repeat a 2008 Colorado type feeling
  • Charlotte is becoming very popular in conservative eyes lately with everyone from Laura Bush, Sarah Palin, Karl Rove being here - I think the new battle for the South is something the current Admin would like to happen (portray) and Charlotte is as good a place as any in the South to do so.
  • The recent successful NRA convention during the same week as the NASCAR HOF opening and the Ultra Swim meet with Phelps and international media (all of which went off very well) shows CLT is ready for the big stage.
  • The HOF itself just increased our overall value not only in the amount of space it adds to the convention center but in the imagery it offers Democrats looking to reconnect with the perception of the common guy (I can certainly see the photo ops).
  • Charlotte has a good rep for being a serious mass transit minded city (for right or wrong) which should not be underestimated in the current administrations transit aspirations
  • Similarly our areas push to be an Energy Capital City is something the White House and Democrats could seriously use in promotions.
  • Bank of America would make a nice repeat of Invesco Field

Cons:
  • St. Louis frankly is thought to be the front runner
  • Charlotte is not a union strong city, nor is NC unlike St. Louis and MO this is an issue for the DNC
  • St. Louis simply is more developed downtown and an easier staging platform with the close proximity of landmarks, convention sites and major hotels. Charlotte has come a long way indeed but St. Louis has an advantage here
  • While I believe the rewards could be greater with a successful Charlotte convention, so are the risks and the whole thing could go pretty bad. I believe that Obama and the DNC need to reinvigorate their base right now and St. Louis offers a safer (yet no Philadelphia safe) venue for doing that.
  • As I already mentioned the GOP will be in the South for Tampa - not certain two Southern Conventions would be doable (politically, captivating for non-Southerners or media)

Just my (ongoing) thoughts on this...

So here we are with Tampa the chosen GOP2012 host city and I'm left evaluating what Charlotte's chances are for the DNC2012.

In my mind of the four known candidate cites, I see this as a battle of two.

Phoenix is simply out of the running for the DNC bid due the to the Arizona immigration law. There are already calls from the California and Colorado DNC party networks to boycott the convention if it goes there - so it ain't going there. Philadelphia I believe is an extremely long shot due to both finances (city leaders have admitted that it may not be able to raise the funds) and the lack of drama or change holding it in Philadelphia, which is a Democrat stronghold in a Northeast city.

So that leaves two: Charlotte and St. Louis. I already stated earlier in this thread that my gut was that if the GOP went with Tampa that Charlotte would be unlikely to be chosen as I can't envision two Southern Conventions, but that said, I think a few things have changed in our favor recently and I'm changing my odds to 60-40 in St. Louis Favor.

Below are Charlotte's pros and cons (in my mind)

Pros:

• Southern state that went blue in '08 and is more purple than anything offers Democrats a chance to repeat a 2008 Colorado type feeling
  • Charlotte is becoming very popular in conservative eyes lately with everyone from Laura Bush, Sarah Palin, Karl Rove being here - I think the new battle for the South is something the current Admin would like to happen (portray) and Charlotte is as good a place as any in the South to do so.
  • The recent successful NRA convention during the same week as the NASCAR HOF opening and the Ultra Swim meet with Phelps and international media (all of which went off very well) shows CLT is ready for the big stage.
  • The HOF itself just increased our overall value not only in the amount of space it adds to the convention center but in the imagery it offers Democrats looking to reconnect with the perception of the common guy (I can certainly see the photo ops).
  • Charlotte has a good rep for being a serious mass transit minded city (for right or wrong) which should not be underestimated in the current administrations transit aspirations
  • Similarly our areas push to be an Energy Capital City is something the White House and Democrats could seriously use in promotions.
  • Bank of America would make a nice repeat of Invesco Field

Cons:
  • St. Louis frankly is thought to be the front runner
  • Charlotte is not a union strong city, nor is NC unlike St. Louis and MO this is an issue for the DNC
  • St. Louis simply is more developed downtown and an easier staging platform with the close proximity of landmarks, convention sites and major hotels. Charlotte has come a long way indeed but St. Louis has an advantage here
  • While I believe the rewards could be greater with a successful Charlotte convention, so are the risks and the whole thing could go pretty bad. I believe that Obama and the DNC need to reinvigorate their base right now and St. Louis offers a safer (yet no Philadelphia safe) venue for doing that.
  • As I already mentioned the GOP will be in the South for Tampa - not certain two Southern Conventions would be doable (politically, captivating for non-Southerners or media)

Just my (ongoing) thoughts on this...

Very good points. Nicely put together.

Obama's approval ratings in NC are very low. 2008 was a one-time surprise; NC is reverting to going red in 2012, and the DNC realizes that. (Remember, Ronald Reagan carried NY in 1984 (Edited to correct date); George H.W. Bush carried almost everywhere in 1988; that doesn't mean it'll happen again, for the Democrats as well.)

Minneapolis has now entered a bid for the 2012 DNC. The city's bid lists the Target Center, the Metrodome, the new TCF Bank Stadium and the Minneapolis Convention Center as potential sites. I'm not sure why the new Target Field isn't listed as a site as I'm sure MLB would be willing to work around the events. The city's convention and visitors bureau has also secured commitments from local hotels for more than 15,000 rooms during the convention.

Minneapolis has now entered a bid for the 2012 DNC. The city's bid lists the Target Center, the Metrodome, the new TCF Bank Stadium and the Minneapolis Convention Center as potential sites. I'm not sure why the new Target Field isn't listed as a site as I'm sure MLB would be willing to work around the events. The city's convention and visitors bureau has also secured commitments from local hotels for more than 15,000 rooms during the convention.

^^^ I hadn't heard about the Minneapolis bid. I would be honestly surprised if the city got back-to-back conventions, but I wish good luck to you guys (though not great luck for obvious selfish reasons!)

I think the Target Field isn't listed primarily though because of baseball. You have to remember that the Convention logistics and security people have full use of the location for several weeks prior to the actual convention dates so I can't imagine rearranging the Twins schedule that much in order to use the stadium.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any place to get official information on Charlotte's bid? I'm guessing the alleged 250k price tag associated with seeking the DNC's convention is related to an official proposal?

I found a few old articles about Denver struggling to make fund-raising targets. I wonder if the DNC will be wary of smaller markets with less established Democratic roots out of fear that fund-raising will fall short of what the host-city promises? That being said I think Charlotteans are a bit wealthier (67,500 gmp per capita) relative to Denver (60,500 gmp per capita). So maybe this could alleviate potential concerns.

<http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jun/16/city-flubs-dnc-money-deadline/>

^^^ Not that I am aware of. One of my chief complaints about CLT's bid is that there is no public website unlike STL which is also the hands-on favorite according to a few sources.

I don't know about the 250K amount but I would guess that you are correct about it being the tally for just the proposal and hosting of the search committee. As far as raising funds for the bid itself I am pretty confident Charlotte's community would be able to pull it together quite nicely.

I appreciate it urbanity. I'm not sure if the city or the local branch of the DNC is responsible for the bid. Either way, I think if people contact local officials (hint hint) and ask why there aren't more ways for people (regardless of their political identity) to express their support for the bid, maybe it could yield something more coherent and user friendly.

I need to correct myself.

Turns out that there is a facebook group which sadly was started by the late Susan Burgess, It would be very sweet if convention did choose CLT and there was some tribute to her (albeit not in the prime-time as she doesn't have national name recognition)

Susan Burgess announcement about the group: http://mecklenburgde...dnc&catid=1:key

Facebook group: http://www.facebook....77744171&v=wall

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool....I think we have a shot. . Our narrow swing to blue as a Southern state is a good narrative to have. The Bechtler and Nascar Hof,Gantt Center etc would be appealing draws to convention goers. And would provide nice "chamber of commerce" panos for the teevee. Thinking here that Mlps would be the frontrunner, their downtown certainly tops ours. St Louis second and we are pretty level with Cleveland. Although if I had my way we would trade Nascar Hof for their Rock&Roll Hof in an instant.

I agree with Forrest in that Minneapolis should be viewed as a front runner. For Charlotte to be a finalist though, really speaks volumes for how far this city has come. Not just from a red and blue standpoint, but to really being able to have the facilities to host such an event. The hotels, restaurants, entertainment options, downtown arena, etc are all part of this. I'd love to see Charlotte pull it out though. Two to three hundred million dollars dumped into our local economy... You won't see many complain about that. And it will put the city in a national and international stage for a few nights.

i still have my doubts that uptown can accomodate it all, but i have my fingers crossed.

Two to three hundred million dollars dumped into our local economy... You won't see many complain about that. And it will put the city in a national and international stage for a few nights.

one would think but check out the O comments! haha. i know, i shouldn't even bother there.

i still have my doubts that uptown can accomodate it all, but i have my fingers crossed.

one would think but check out the O comments! haha. i know, i shouldn't even bother there.

I think uptown can accommodate it. Though, I'm not sure I would want to be one who's working there during that week of the convention. It will be a mad house I'm sure.

Ugh, the dreaded O commentators. It's amazing to me how stupid some of those people really are.

Perhaps, the DNC will pass on mpls since they hosted the RNC last time around. IDK though, Missouri is a more established bellweather and swing state than North Carolina.

St. Paul hosted the 2008 RNC. Minneapolis was one of four finalists for the 2008 DNC, but lost out to Denver.

I'm assuming the fact that St. Paul was chosen for the RNC played a role in Minneapolis not landing the DNC.

As a former St. Louisan, I'd challenge Missouri being a bellwether state. Yes, Missouri has gone with the winner every election since the Civil Rights Act, except Obama. But since that 1964 Act, every Democrat elected to the White House was a Southerner, until Obama.

Sure, there are similarities between Missouri and North Carolina. For example, both states have two major metros that fail to collaborate on their urban agendas in state politics, allowing rural politics to dominate. But ultimately, due to migration patterns, NC is trending like Virginia, while Missouri is trending like West Virginia. Besides, Ohio is likely the best bellwether for 2012.

Archived