Charlotte's Democratic National Convention

monsoon

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps I am not giving enough weight to Ohio's chances. It is the most famous battleground of the finalists. Although it could be that the Ohio story is getting old and NC would be a fresh perspective. Another plus to hosting this would be a flurry of capital projects that would endure and benefit us long after this circus has packed up and moved on. No doubt there would at least be some pedestrian and aesthetic enhancements and hopefully more substantive improvements to the cityscape.

Personally, I think a completed Romare Bearden Park would be a GREAT thing to showcase during the convention.

I also agree, that if we were to get the convention, it's likely you'll see some projects "green-lit" so they can be completed in time for the convention. With the projected revenue, it would certainly pay for some of those.

^^^ I agree with Romare Bearden as key project to finish and showcase. I also think that many projects that are already in the advanced planning stage or on hold due to the recession would get a boost if the convention comes.

Related to my thoughts in the Perceptions of Charlotte thread was that the tourists I've spoken to yesterday were all very aware of Charlotte's bid for the convention. I don't know if that means much, but it seems like a very good thing in my mind.

^^^ I agree with Romare Bearden as key project to finish and showcase. I also think that many projects that are already in the advanced planning stage or on hold due to the recession would get a boost if the convention comes.

Related to my thoughts in the Perceptions of Charlotte thread was that the tourists I've spoken to yesterday were all very aware of Charlotte's bid for the convention. I don't know if that means much, but it seems like a very good thing in my mind.

Which projects (in addition to Romare Bearden and 1st Ward parks) do you think might get green-lit or put on a fast-track schedule if Charlotte gets the convention?

The ones that I think would be rushed to be completed for the convention:

- The First Ward Park

- Romare Beaden Park

- the running of a streetcar between CTC abd Presbyterian

- Significant Uptown retail

- The reworking of all the 277 type underpasses with arts and lighting.

- (this ine is more iffy) the completion of two more statues for the Historical statue walk that is being developed by the Capt Jack statue

- The final creation of a permanent Green Market in Uptown.

The ones that I think would be pushed to happen but are unlikely though not impossible:

- Streetcar from at least Johnson C. Smith to Plaza Midwood

- BLE to NoDa

- Announcement and completion of another major hotel (W) in time for the convention.

The ones that will not happen in time but I forsee would happen as a result

- Cementing of our mass transit plans

- Cementing CLT as a real Southeastern destination city known for arts, entertainment and sights.

The movement forward for the city to land new types of coproate headquarters and their ancillary businesses.

Does anyone think that something could happen with 210 Trade in anticipation for the convention? It is the closest eyesore to the Arena, which will be a major venue for the convention. Anyone think that could become a hotel? There are still a LOT of empty retail spots at the EpiCentre, so the potential is there for us to be pleasantly surprised by future tenants. The location is perfect and the aLoft caters to a specific crowd, another boutique hotel could survive there, given the light rail connection.

So as I understand it, the city fathers will need to pony up ~ 60MM to host this? ...and where would one expect most of that 60MM to come from? From BofA and Wells, silly...

And how exactly will the DNC position itself with that kind of payout/payoff coming from the very banks that were on the receiving end of the biggest bailout in modern times.....?? This is the kind of PR fodder that would have the Rush Limbaugh's spewing spittle all over themselves. Won't happen.

^Where exactly do you think Tampa will get their private dollars for the RNC? The tea-party tooth fairies?

That said, I think you do bring up a valid issue about how the spin machine is going to play a Charlotte convention no matter what the facts. The key here (in my mind) is for the city to raise funds from all available sources including Duke, Microsoft, CMC, Bissell Cos, Family Dollar, Compass, etc... you know the "other" major players in town.

Perhaps this is overthinking it too much, but anyway.......given the foul odor that the "banking industry" has these days the Dems may not look favorably on having their party's showcase event and reelection campaign launched from a financial hub. Especially given that WF and BOA were cast fairly or unfairly in the media as two of the worst offenders in the meltdown.

Perhaps this is overthinking it too much, but anyway.......given the foul odor that the "banking industry" has these days the Dems may not look favorably on having their party's showcase event and reelection campaign launched from a financial hub....

A reasonable person could just as easily claim that placing the convention in a financial hub may make Obama look more business friendly. Neither this claim or yours could be proven to affect the DNC's choice within any significant margin of error. The motivations for putting the convention wherever it winds up are bound to be largely subjective so it is hard to speculate on what factors will effect it most. We can safely say that avoiding the "foul odor" of the bail-out will be an objective of the DNC, but just how much it will impact their decision is indeterminable, so its best defer judgement on the matter.

It is worth mentioning that there is a flip side in the positive of the DNC choosing Charlotte under "banktown" label attacks.

Aren't the Democrats considered the high-tax, anti-business party? Seems to me that Charlotte more than any other city (outside of NYC) would make the perfect platform for the Democrats to say they are pro-business and in fact proud, at the same time, of pushing through the biggest financial overhaul in this country's history since the Great Depression.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with those statements (anymore than I would about taking Democrats taking handouts from the banks with TARP) but if we want to play the spin game then I think it would behoove the Democrats to play without fear of "what if they say" as let's face it - they are going to say "blank" no matter where they go.

Finally, if any read the Observer article today about South Tryon then my next thought might have some resonance: I think Charlotte is a city of dreamers, big dreamers: dreamers who believe in the future and have faith, trust and hope that if you follow through on your beliefs then fortune and luck will follow. I think South Tryon is very much a proof of this city's and this nation's gumption and we are emblematic of the spirit of American ingenuity and backbone despite odds. How could any other city (in the finalist category) compare to that?

Also in today's Observer is a reprint of a NYTimes article noting the toxicity of the TARP program on those ( Republicans and Democrats) who voted for it. The vitriol from the Tea Baggers and their ilk has shown no sign of ebbing and has in fact has served as a lightning rod to unseat House members from both sides of the aisle. The only thing that would serve to enhance this banking center's image as the process goes forward is a continuing improvement in the unemployment numbers. Successive months of ups & then downs won't get it.

Also in today's Observer is a reprint of a NYTimes article noting the toxicity of the TARP program on those ( Republicans and Democrats) who voted for it. The vitriol from the Tea Baggers and their ilk has shown no sign of ebbing and has in fact has served as a lightning rod to unseat House members from both sides of the aisle. The only thing that would serve to enhance this banking center's image as the process goes forward is a continuing improvement in the unemployment numbers. Successive months of ups & then downs won't get it.

I thought about your post a lot after you first edited it and I got to say after careful consideration my resulting thought is : so what?

TARP was signed into law by the George Bush so any arguments about TARP are a joke. Of course the key will be in how the city responds.

I don''t mean to make this sound confrontational with you directly so much as all this TARP and Banktown b.s. The spin is going to happen on any issue that the opposing side (in this case the Republicans) will make about the city the Democarats chose.

The irony right now is I think I'm leaning against Charlotte being chosen for completely different reasons.

- Announcement and completion of another major hotel (W) in time for the convention.

I wonder if Duke/Wellscovia could let the Wachovia Condo Tower be turned into a hotel?

I also wonder if development will be more focused on the South Tryon side of town or the north Tryon side and if we'll get some nice retail. I'm just curious as to what type of new retail ya'll think we could land. :) Here's to hoping we get rid of some surface parking lots!

I noticed how that article let all the cities stand alone except for one. I guess I can understand, it's easy to confuse Charlotte, Arkansas with our Charlotte... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm glad the city finally has a website and seems to actually be pursuing this convention. I don't think this DNC will be as exciting as 2008, but maybe it would encourage a couple of projects to finish up.

This is from a friend in Cleveland, so it can be taken only at face value. He says the local chatter coming from the city board and slowly being mentioned on the local news (in Cleveland) is that Cleveland may not have the money to host the convention. On another note. I had to laugh at the article above from Minneapolis. In the article, they list all four cities in the running and they put that dreaded state thing (NC) only after Charlotte. It never really bothers me much, but I'm starting to feel a little slighted when Charlotte is the only city with it attached. Oh well. I guess Cleveland, Minneapolis, Saint Louis, speak for themselves. Who knows.

Apparently some are protesting Minneapolis' DNC bid...

http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/98710389.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU

Their slogan: Help us put a stop to the next police riot in the Twin Cities!

Many throughout TC area complained about police tactics during the 2008 RNC and don't want to see that type of behavior again. I saw about 10 people protesting with signs like "No Money For Tasers."

I had to laugh at the article above from Minneapolis. In the article, they list all four cities in the running and they put that dreaded state thing (NC) only after Charlotte. It never really bothers me much, but I'm starting to feel a little slighted when Charlotte is the only city with it attached. Oh well. I guess Cleveland, Minneapolis, Saint Louis, speak for themselves. Who knows.

I don't know why one would be bothered by seeing NC after Charlotte. After all, Charlotte isn't well known throughout the rest of the country. Also, like Minneapolis, Cleveland and St. Louis are located in the Midwest so I assuming this is why the MPLS. Star Trib. didn't include their state abbreviations.

Archived