Charlotte's Democratic National Convention

monsoon

"they put that dreaded state thing (NC) only after Charlotte"

I was being a little facetious with that one. It truly does not bother me having NC after Charlotte. I have no grand illusions that Charlotte is on the same scale as New York, LA, Miami, or even Saint Louis and Minneapolis for that matter. I love Charlotte for what it is, not want it wants to be, but I always get a laugh when I see the NC after Charlotte, since so many people point it out.

on topic: I would think these protestors in Minneapolis are not causing problems for the city's bid. The majority should think it was a good idea, especially after just hosting the RNC. If they got the DNC, that would speak a lot to the city's diversity in politics.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on topic: I would think these protestors in Minneapolis are not causing problems for the city's bid. The majority should think it was a good idea, especially after just hosting the RNC. If they got the DNC, that would speak a lot to the city's diversity in politics.

I think the majority of people in the TC area or at least the majority I've talked to think it's a good idea to host the DNC. BTW, I just read an article that stated of the dozen or so anti-DNC protesters some had been arrested during the RNC.

What was the feedback from hosting the RNC? I see all these stats from the Charlotte bid stating it will bring in millions of dollars and put us in the spotlight, etc, etc. But I remember hearing something about Denver thinking it wasn't worth all the money for security, from a tax payer standpoint. I would think that was still outweighed by all the dollars brought in to the city during the convention. Plus, I thought the Federal Gov't contributed x number of dollars to each host city to beef up security. Anyway, what was the feeling in Minneapolis after the RNC? Did it live up to all the pre-convention hype? Was it worth it?

What was the feedback from hosting the RNC? I see all these stats from the Charlotte bid stating it will bring in millions of dollars and put us in the spotlight, etc, etc. But I remember hearing something about Denver thinking it wasn't worth all the money for security, from a tax payer standpoint. I would think that was still outweighed by all the dollars brought in to the city during the convention. Plus, I thought the Federal Gov't contributed x number of dollars to each host city to beef up security. Anyway, what was the feeling in Minneapolis after the RNC? Did it live up to all the pre-convention hype? Was it worth it?

From what I can remember, the feedback from Twin Cities area leaders, businesses, and residents was mixed.

I know many think hosting a political convention is worth it just because of name recognition. However, I know many business owners in downtown St. Paul didn't think it was worth it. I'm on the fence regarding political conventions and would really like to see a true, economic-impact report; one that takes into account lost or displaced business or government expenses that weren't reimbursed.

From what I can remember, the feedback from Twin Cities area leaders, businesses, and residents was mixed.

I know many think hosting a political convention is worth it just because of name recognition. However, I know many business owners in downtown St. Paul didn't think it was worth it. I'm on the fence regarding political conventions and would really like to see a true, economic-impact report; one that takes into account lost or displaced business or government expenses that weren't reimbursed.

Interesting..Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it is something to be weighed, but I have a feeling Charlotte will push for this convention regardless. I don't really have a dog in the fight, except maybe some tax dollars. It would be a big deal though for Charlotte. But you are right, an economic study of prior host cities would be interesting to see. I think if it promotes future business growth and helps small business in Charlotte than great. If it cost the tax payers millions of dollars and still hurts business owners, or worse, spawns a week of rioting or violence, then I could do without. Thanks again.

A DNC convention could help charlotte become Charlotte, not Charlotte, NC. It's publicity means more to us than any of the other cities. That being said, we should still be wary of cost. We could very easily be played into doing something that is not worthwhile economically. The DNC could do wonders for the city, but it could cost wonders + 1. On that note, can anyone explain why cities like phili find the convention too expensive, and publicly note it, but charlotte should find otherwise?

A DNC convention could help charlotte become Charlotte, not Charlotte, NC. It's publicity means more to us than any of the other cities. That being said, we should still be wary of cost. We could very easily be played into doing something that is not worthwhile economically. The DNC could do wonders for the city, but it could cost wonders + 1. On that note, can anyone explain why cities like phili find the convention too expensive, and publicly note it, but charlotte should find otherwise?

Because cities like Philly are broke. They were one of the first to have no money to even keep the city going when the recession started if I remember correctly while Charlotte has ridden out the recession in fairly good shape.

I did some research and found a report called the "Economic Impact of the DNC on the Boston Economy: The Final Tally" It was completed after the 2004 DNC in Boston. It was done by the Beacon HIl Institute at Suffolk University. I don't know anything about Beacon Hill, but the report seems to be pretty fair and unbiased. It presents a lot of details that I never thought of in hosting a national convention. I checked the rules and am still not sure if I can post a direct link. It seems that way, but if someone will confirm that I'll post the link. If not, you can search the terms above. It is pretty easy to find with the title. The end result of the study though did state that there was a small boost to the Boston economy, but not what was promised before hand. It also indicates that other events were canceled because of the DNC, and those lost events may have easily have had the same or more of an economic boost than the DNC. I do not think the report accounts for any new business that may have been generated after the fact due to the national exposure. Interestingly, it states that bars and restaurants were the big losers because all of the delegates and corporate people ate and drank at the parties that were provided, not out on their own dime. An interesting report also because Boston leaders are the ones helping with Charlotte's bid, or at least providing feedback.

When a city is chosen for a convention, does the DNC or RNC pay for the usage of arenas and convention centers and the like? Do they pay the city for all the extra security required? I guess what I am asking is does the city end up shouldering the cost for the convention?

When a city is chosen for a convention, does the DNC or RNC pay for the usage of arenas and convention centers and the like? Do they pay the city for all the extra security required? I guess what I am asking is does the city end up shouldering the cost for the convention?

The cost will be 40 to 45 million but in return something like 150 million in economic activity. Most of the 40 to 45 would come from donations I believe.

If this report is true then Charlotte has the already secured the money to host the DNC'12. I don't think any other city has this kind of money this early in the process.

And consultant Karen Finney said Duke Energy has put up $100,000 to fund Charlotte’s effort to land the convention. The Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority has chipped in another $25,000, she said. Read more: http://www.charlotte...l#ixzz0uMJKXPUn

Edit: I just looked at my post again and realized that I should have wrote that Charlotte has already secured the money for hosting the bid process not the hosting itself.

I don't know if it is a case of once-it's-in-your-mind-you-will-see-it-constantly or that we are getting early visitors ahead of Tuesday's scheduled visit, but I saw a bunch of Washington D.C. tags in the Uptown and the region this weekend.

Well today's the day that the DNC '12 host city selection committee are here and seeing what we've got to offer.

So let's all be on our good behavior and offer fine howdy-dos to everyone you meet on the street todayhi.gif

In related news, I liked the WSOC report on three major issues that the committee will be looking at and how Charlotte compares to other candidate cities.

Airport - We're the most accessible going by the number of flights

Security - We have the largest police force

Hotels - We're not number one here; however, we already have locked up a confirmation with all the local hotels for a guarantee of the 15,000 rooms for the dates requests.

As I wrote about in the Pride thread, I've got my issue with Charlotte being chosen in regards to current protections and acceptance to LGBT but for the next two days I'm hoping the city makes a good impression on the selection committee!

I would love to see the DNC in Charlotte. But having worked for the DNC in 2006, I don't think this is the best place politically for the Dems to have the convention in 2012. For one, the selection of Charlotte actually upsets a lot of the Dems base and they are going to need Democrats to show up at the polls like they did in 2008 as white voters and independent voters are going to be less likely to vote for Obama.

Here's one of many articles that is floating around LGBT websites: http://www.connexion.org/gay-news/news?id=657464

Dems continue to shoot themselves in the foot with LGBT voters. Reality is this is the most powerful, wealthiest minority groups in the country. Dems are going to need LGBT money in order to have a chance to beat Republicans...especially since the Supreme Court overturned certain campaign finance laws that will end up benefiting the GOP.

I know Charlotte has a lot to offer and would do a great job hosting this event. But the selecting is all about politics... ;-)

And that lightning storm yesterday afternoon must have provided a hoot of a visual from Bentleys! shok.gif

In all seriousness, I am glad for that storm as it was nice and cool and fresh out afterwards and I hope it gives the site committee a glimpse of how nice the weather in Charlotte can be (outside of most of this summer)!

they are going to need Democrats to show up at the polls like they did in 2008 as white voters and independent voters are going to be less likely to vote for Obama.

Why does this have to be a racial issue? White Democrats (and Democrats of other races) are not necessarily much less likely to vote for Obama in 2012 than they did in 2008; white Republicans and independents (and Republicans and independents of other races), if current trends continue, are. Did Jim Webb's (D-VA) racial politics play into this statement?

I've been reading the articles about the DNC, the pros and cons and the certain opinions from cities like Boston about it "not being worth the investment [convention revenue cancelling out normal daily revenue, inconvenience of security and increased traffic/congestion issues]", shouldn't be an issue in Charlotte.

I think Charlotte would fare much, much better than Boston. First of all, Boston's center city is more of an everyday hub for residents in New England. Shopping, living, and transportation flows through Boston on a daily norm for a BIG part of the locals. So when the DNC interrupted the daily norm, the numbers might not have balanced. I submit that Charlotte's daily norm (aside from those who work "9-5" Uptown) does not revolve around Center City nearly as much. Charlotte's roads are built with less reliance for central connections than those of Boston (I-93 through Boston is called "The Central Artery", and the Massachusetts Turnpike starts in the center of the city (actually at the airport) and spans the whole state on the way all the way to Seattle). Charlotteans could get around the city very easily without going near Uptown. The majority of nighttime and weekend activities in Uptown are "trivial" - meaning their revenues are not essential to the wellbeing of the greater region (I'm not suggesting that Uptown restaurants' weekend business is trivial to their own well-being). So, to me, the major inconvenience will come from interruption of normal daytime business - Duke Energy, BOA, and these are the same companies that are signing up to land the DNC.

This same logic can be applied to other financially successful events like CIAA, NRA, and even the many Charlotte Street Fairs. Charlotte is just very well suited to host events in Center City.

I've been reading the articles about the DNC, the pros and cons and the certain opinions from cities like Boston about it "not being worth the investment [convention revenue cancelling out normal daily revenue, inconvenience of security and increased traffic/congestion issues]", shouldn't be an issue in Charlotte.

I think Charlotte would fare much, much better than Boston. First of all, Boston's center city is more of an everyday hub for residents in New England. Shopping, living, and transportation flows through Boston on a daily norm for a BIG part of the locals. So when the DNC interrupted the daily norm, the numbers might not have balanced. I submit that Charlotte's daily norm (aside from those who work "9-5" Uptown) does not revolve around Center City nearly as much. Charlotte's roads are built with less reliance for central connections than those of Boston (I-93 through Boston is called "The Central Artery", and the Massachusetts Turnpike starts in the center of the city (actually at the airport) and spans the whole state on the way all the way to Seattle). Charlotteans could get around the city very easily without going near Uptown. The majority of nighttime and weekend activities in Uptown are "trivial" - meaning their revenues are not essential to the wellbeing of the greater region (I'm not suggesting that Uptown restaurants' weekend business is trivial to their own well-being). So, to me, the major inconvenience will come from interruption of normal daytime business - Duke Energy, BOA, and these are the same companies that are signing up to land the DNC.

This same logic can be applied to other financially successful events like CIAA, NRA, and even the many Charlotte Street Fairs. Charlotte is just very well suited to host events in Center City.

I agree with most of what you've said above and I would add that tourism is a MAJOR part of the business in Boston's Core while not so much in Charlotte. Those tourism dollars would not be displaced by crowds uptown for the DNC.

• 2 months later...

Interesting piece in Charlotte Bizjournals today. Apparently Charlotte 2012 Democratic Convention chair Jim Rogers (Duke Energy CEO) is trying to get Charlotte Bobcats owner, Michael Jordan to help make a pitch to President Obama for Charlotte to land the 2012 convention. For those that don't know, Jordan despite his North Carolina roots has a lot of ties to Chicago, going back to his 6 titles with the NBA's Bulls, which is of course where Obama is from. You get a global sports icon in Jordan to maybe play a game of HORSE with the president and see what he can do? Certainly can't hurt.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2010/10/jordan-may-aid-charlottes-convention.html

Archived