Hospitals

scottb411

Where is that Disney Hospital going to be built?

On the hospital tip, does anyone know anything about an FSU Medical School meeting at the Highland and Colonial office building tonight?

The Disney hospital is going to be where the current children's hospital is now. It's the western appendage of the main office building. The older building, not the new one. I'm not sure if they're going to demolish the existing building and build from the ground up, or do serious refurbishing. Either way, it's going to be an amazing complement to the main campus, and of course to the Orlando area.

I work for FH and I got to see some really cool renderings of the inside. There will be a large area where kids can play and it will be decorated with characters from Disney cartoons, not just wall paintings, but figures of the characters in the playground, very much like the kid playground areas at the parks. It's really exiting to see and be a part of! I wish they had this kind of thing when I was a kid...it would have made going to the hospital a lot easier. ^_^

I was injured on an out a few years back and was transported to Celebration. Some of the folks who designed there can have a lot of fun with the new CH. As an adult I was taken to the CAT - Scan Castle. The whole apparatus was themed as a sand castle with the opening looking like a castle drawbridge. Starfish, and shells were set into a textured surface. I was relieved that they left off the portcullis detail.

• 1 month later...

Anyone been past the Orlando Health construction site at Orange Av. & Columbia St?

They're putting up a Surgery Center/Medical Office/parking deck.

Looks like it will be a nice addition to that area of Orange Av. providing density & infill.

Say goodbye to some nice shady old oak trees, though....

2001_0101_000038AA.jpg

Orange & Columbia looking SW.

2001_0101_000012AA.jpg

Looking over the fence.

2001_0101_000035AA.jpg

Construction sign rendering.

Edited by JFW657

once they get the offices and new larger parking deck up..... from what i understand...... they will begin demolition of the $4.00 parking deck in between the lucerne terrace parking garage and the ORMC main entrance. once that parking deck is gone..... they will begin construction of a new tower wing for the hospital. i have not seen rendering though.

• 3 weeks later...

just thinking... I'm tired of sprawl of course, but I am glad that they are building the medical city at Lake Nona now... it used to be no man's land out there, but soon, it will be another "node"/destination point of interest. and with big cities, you need a lot of "nodes" to be perceived as such. FH South and ORHS are doing ok for themselves with all their supporting infrastructure and subsidiary medical offices in and around those neighborhoods.

• 1 year later...

Anyone been past the Orlando Health construction site at Orange Av. & Columbia St?

They're putting up a Surgery Center/Medical Office/parking deck.

Looks like it will be a nice addition to that area of Orange Av. providing density & infill.

Say goodbye to some nice shady old oak trees, though....

2001_0101_000038AA.jpg

Orange & Columbia looking SW.

2001_0101_000012AA.jpg

Looking over the fence.

2001_0101_000035AA.jpg

Construction sign rendering.

I imagine at this point that this building is nearing completion but I haven't seen any construction photos -- I noticed some updated renderings on Baker Barrios website:

OH_MOB_1_1.jpg

OH_MOB_2.jpg

OH_MOB_3.jpg

yea, its closed to completion. im surprised nobody else has mentioned orlando health's new expansion plans. they are planning a new tower along orange just south of the ER as well as an expansion of the ER. after that is complete they are going to tear down one of the main wings and create another tower as well. ive been trying to get a sneak peak of the blueprints, apparently they are floating out there.

So I've been able to take a long weekend to Orlando, and just love what I'm seeing downtown. Things are really livening up each time I come back, Thursday night was great downtown -- even with the rain there were crowds at the Plaza, on Wall Street, and Church Street was doing OK.

Anyway, I snapped a quick picture of the new OH Building. This doesn't do justice to how monolithic this building appears from Orange Ave:

pic.jpg

• 1 month later...

Florida Hospital Residential Development -- developer is Ustler, $20 million, 200 units for medical professionals working at Florida Hospital Health Village

To be located on Dade St adjacent to I-4 and parallel to Orange Avenue.

North-of-Dowtown_1.jpg

North-of-Dowtown_2.jpg

North-of-Dowtown_3.jpg

According to this biz journal article, construction is projected for early 2011: Here

Still no renderings (I could find) of the Sanford Burnham / Florida Hospital Diabetes Institute to be located on Princeton, designed by Flad Architects. That project is scheduled to break ground this year.